mtbr member

New question here. Am I completely crazy?

I'm definately addicted to SS. I ride 3 SS's: rigid EL mariachi, giant STP and giant bowery fixed. Excuse me for a bit offtopic.

Last week I visited our local Giant dealer. They told me that it's possible to order any new giant for a very good price. I said (as a joke) that I want giant omnium track bike (and that's the only giant which I want being a SS freak). The msrp is 2000 $ (in Russia) and their price is 1400$!!!
    Am I completely crazy?-omnium.jpg
    Omnium (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Weighting 16.5 pounds Omnium should be a real rocket and I badly want to experience that. However I don't really need this bike. My main MTB is El Mariachi, my commuter is giant bowery and I barely ride my giant STP. If I buy omnium I'l use it instead of bowery. So what could you suggest? Am I completely mad?

mtbr member
    I dont really do road bikes but that is sexxxy and you are not crazy! I almost want it LOL. If you got the sheckels, do it before you decide to buy groceries, hurry up! Cat food isnt that bad once youre used to it and you can eat it and stare at that bike in your living room!

are you mad??? no...passionate
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    There is no velodrome where I live. I'm going to use it for commuting and for road racing (some short time trials, dragracing, etc). I ride brakeless fixie so that's OK for me (you can't put the brakes on the omnium). I don't bother with gears and I love riding fixed. I also like giant as a brand. And I like omnium more than other productional track bikes. I even was able to contact a guy in russia who rides omnium. He rides it all year long in all conditions (even some marathons) and he is really happy with the bike. So this bike is spiritually close to me, my soul and my style of riding. Nethertheless, it's hard for me to justify buying it.

mtbr member
    Crazy people don't know they are mentally disturbed, they think they are totally normal, which is why if you ask or entertain the idea you have leanings toward the mentally wayward you're sane. Sorry to burst the bubble. You do appear curious, curiosity is intelligence having fun, not crazy.
    No fuss with the MUSS

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Crazy people don't know they are mentally disturbed, they think they are totally normal, which is why if you ask or entertain the idea you have leanings toward the mentally wayward you're sane. Sorry to burst the bubble. You do appear curious, curiosity is intelligence having fun, not crazy.
    LOL.

@OP, if you can comfortably afford to buy it, do it....eating cat food is not worth it. Nice looking Giant.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Yes, you are crazy. But I totally understand.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No velodrome and you want a track bike? Sorry, but that is tarded. Super light, stiff bike that will dent easy with track geo for the street? Make sure to also pick up some girl jeans and hot pink sunglasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    LOL.

@OP, if you can comfortably afford to buy it, do it....eating cat food is not worth it. Nice looking Giant.
    HA Our sig's match our advice....
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Called the giant dealler today and it appeared that there are no omniums in M size in Russia, only one bike is left which is M/L size. So now I can calm down)... But maybe I'm going to build up a surly steamroller)

Thank's for your responses everybody!

mtbr member
    Tomorrow my local Giant dealer is going to expose omnium in m/l size. So if it fits me fine (which I'm not sure) and they offer a sweet price for that I'm going to pull the trigger.

Gotta pay to play
    If loving single speed means you are crazy then I don't want to be sane.

mtbr member
    Do it. I really miss my track bike. I would get another if I could right now.

mtbr member
    I finally bought that bike

mtbr member
    I like that it has flipfplop fixed hub (you can put fixed cog on each side) and comes with 5! cogs (from 13 to 17t (chainring is 48t)). All I can say: this thing flyes! Even with 13t in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    I like that it has flipfplop fixed hub (you can put fixed cog on each side) and comes with 5! cogs (from 13 to 17t (chainring is 48t)). All I can say: this thing flyes! Even with 13t in the rear.
    The "flying" is a given, but i'd be more concerned for the STOPPING!

Using a track bike brakeless on the street is just insane, and unless you change the fork you'll never be safe on the road.

So in answer to your original question,....No you're not insane for wanting to buy a new bike. (we've all got that problem),....

.....but maybe just a touch for making it THAT bike