mtbr member

alright, give it to me.....Boone Ti cogs. yea or nay?

went to the LBS monday and placed an order for a 17t King cog, which was in-stock at the time. just got a call back saying everyone was out, which was confirmed by a quick scan of the QBP inventory.

so.....seeing as how i leave for Alaska on June 1st, i would really like to ride my Imperial more. Boone is the only option i have, other than standard DX which has already chewed up my King freehub body enough.

at the end of the day, is the Boone worth $47.50?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job!

justification for ya...

9-speed XT cassettes are about $80. boone's are pretty, seem to last long and are made by an artisan who seems to stand behind his craft. i personally think it's more money than i'd spend, but if it's the only way you can make your bike work, what else are you going to do?
    [size=1][/size]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A different question, similar topic

Is a cog made from titanium stealthy enough for single speeding? How does the Ti wear in comparison with King's stainless?

If titanium doesn't out perform stainless, I would have to say it isn't worth the extra money unless you are really after aestics. Could you just settle for a 16 or 18 tooth?

mtbr member
    i couldn't care less about aesthetics, i just want to run a ratio that works for my CS lengths. a 17t will work. i'd also prefer something with a wide base, due to the soft King freehub body.

One gear to rule them all
    Fast Freddy had a Spicer wide base cog. You could check to see if they are available??
    As for durability, this is what Boone replied to that question...

The titanium is as durable as stainless. They are very similar in properties except for the weight. The 6Al4V titanium has a hardness of 35 Rockwell C, which is pretty tough stuff. It can be flame hardened from there, but we've never seen a need for it. You would have to do some serious miles to wear one out. The biggest factor is the number of teeth the load can be spread over. Something like a large or middle chainring will essentially never wear out. I'm still riding mine from 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    i couldn't care less about aesthetics, i just want to run a ratio that works for my CS lengths. a 17t will work. i'd also prefer something with a wide base, due to the soft King freehub body.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

34N 118W

Good job! heck yeah

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    I had the same situation here, I needed a bigger cog to mate up with the 36t Jericho ring, and something fat for the King hub. The formula had me at a 21t to get closest to the ratio I was used to, so Boone it was. So far, worth every cent of the $52.50.

BigRing
    Mar 2004

Spot Ti cogs 17t

Spot has a nice one too...I think BTI (parts distributor) has them in stock right now...get your LBS to get you one. I've got several and they are light and really strong...works beautifully with my PC68 too

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Uh, like....yeah!
    Mine so far has definately been worth the $57 or so I spent on it. 22 teeth of love.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hot like a box of fire
    Inbred, have you tried Dan's Comp? It appears they have 17t king cogs in stock for $22. Something to look into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-Slow
    Spot has a nice one too...I think BTI (parts distributor) has them in stock right now...get your LBS to get you one. I've got several and they are light and really strong...works beautifully with my PC68 too
    i was looking at the Spots, but they appear to be just as narrow, and they're $40.

i sent an e-mail to Dan's...waiting for a response. living in Austin, i feel bad for buying from Dan's.

mtbr member
    Danscomp has 17t in aluminum. would be a waste of money?

BigRing
    Mar 2004

Phat Tire

call phattire.com Angelo is really cool and can get you a Spot 17t right away. They are narrow though but have shown very minimal wear after several months now.

Alloy cogs worry me...probably have to buy 2 and have them last the same if not less than a ti. Might as well spend a little more and be done with it. Anyway, call Angelo he's a good guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well there goes my secret supply

Dan's will be sold out in no time flat. Better order up now.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Dustin.... Your 17T King Kog is in the mail.....

I dropped it off this morning, enjoy.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks....