mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Alloy free hubs for single speed?

I've got a set of easton ec90 xc wheels that I'm going to use for ss. The free hub is alloy - 7050 t6 or something like that. The point is it's not steel or titanium. I just changed my cassette a few weeks ago and noticed some burring on the free hub. Not a big problem, but it got me thinking whether the free hub could hold up under the same, or more, stress with a single speed cog. I looked at some wider cogs including kick ass, but that one's aluminum, which I dont want. Chris king has cogs with a 5.2 mm base, and hopefully that'll be wide enough to prevent any damage.

I was wondering if anyone has used easton alloy free hubs for ss or any alloy free hub for that matter. . . and how it worked.

Thanks

one chain loop
    sorry but alloy is not the right term to use. steel, aluminum, titanium.. they are all alloys.

i'm pretty sure you have an aluminum body. you can avoid the wear you are having if you use a SS cog with wider base, i.e. surly, king..

steel freehub body is the boss.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry about that. It must be aluminum because they say it's stronger than steel, and I know it's not titanium.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I meant lighter than steel, not stronger.

nothing to see here
    A King cog won't do damage to the freehub. Surly is another steel option with a wide base.

Homebrewed do a steel cog with an aluminium carrier, which will be lighter than those above and also not damage the freehub.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have been using a Singleworks on a aluminum freehub for a while. No issues but like others have said no matter which brand you choose make sure thet are at least 3/16 wide where they interface with the freehub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hmmm. 3/16 of an inch comes out to about 4.7mm's. I really wanted to use Surly's, but I believe their base is 4.35mm's. King's, I believe are 5.2, so I guess I'll use the King's and pay double. Probably worth it though. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I have been using the Homebrewed Components gears with aluminum spiders on Hope and American Classic aluminum caassette bodies. No problems
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits