Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

All City JYD (Junk Yard Dog)

Just saw this on All City's site. I would REALLY like one. Non-suspension corrected, rim brakes only, clearance for 29x2.35. Love it.

All-City Cycles JYD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah. Love the concept the of this bike, and the paint job. I've always wanted to build a fixed gear mtb/cruiser/bar bike.

Here's the dilemma though. You could build the same sort of bike using the Surly KM frameset and the KM is cheaper and so much more versatile. I don't mind the V brakes in and of themselves but the more I think about it, how many of us have a set of 29er rims with a machined braking surface laying around? Im sure they exist but I doubt there are many options. Not necessarily a deal breaker but it sort of goes against the "people raiding their parts bin" vibe that all city mentioned in their blog post.

All that said, the JYD is very cool and very tempting.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    That's just a Nature Boy with wider tire clearance.

I'd rather build up an Ogre if I really needed v-brakes, but i have more disc 29er wheels lying around than anything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Pretty cool, but rim brakes are very unappealing to me. Is it a nostalgia thing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No doubt KM is more versatile. But I don't think versatility is what All City had in mind when they made this. It's a very niche product and will probably result in very low demand. Hence the 150 initial production units. I liken it to what Transition did with the Klunker and possibly the Trek Sawyer as well.

I like the concept, and as a retrogrouch, appreciate the nod to the yester-years. Rim brake wheels are now getting to be somewhat rare, but there are still choices available. If I got this, I'd probably build up a Surly fixed/fixed hub (with WI FW and Surly fixed cog) and lace it to Velocity A23's. May even use my LX canti brakes I still have in my parts bin.

mtbr member
    The top tube is too short, wish they made an XL.

But I'm mentally setting aside parts already. I've got a perfect WI flip/flop hub that I pulled off my Cross Check, and I love them V brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm assuming if demand is there for a 2nd run batch, they'll include a bigger size. I'm with you on v-brakes--I'd love to set this up with either Paul or Avid Ult & Koolstop Salmon.

Also, I love the tight wheelbase. 41.7" for the medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Strange how the head angle get steeper with each frame size (72.5 for the large)

mtbr member
    To answer the questions about the rim brake thing: It's so you can run a flip-flop fixed/free wheel I'm sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome bike! I'm sure that the urban-riding/cyclocross/touring set that All City caters to will have 700c rim brake wheels laying around the garage to build this puppy up. Still, isn't this bike just screaming for those slick Nature Boy Disc dropouts? If they move the JYD to full production, I wouldn't be surprised if it came with those. Until then, it'll be great with v-brakes, which are vastly underrated IMHO.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    To answer the questions about the rim brake thing: It's so you can run a flip-flop fixed/free wheel I'm sure.
    I'm not so sure about that. You can flip flop a standard 6 bolt mtb hub with a tomicog. There are only about three 135 OLD flip flop hubs on the market. You can run a tomicog on most standard MTB hubs (I think there is even a way to run them with centerlock adapters but don't quote me on that). Again, the idea here is that you can build this this up from your parts bin. A standard 6 bolt hub is much more likely to be found in the parts bin than a fixed/free hub with mtb spacing.

Of course I don't really know for sure but I think the reason for the rim brakes is because the bike was designed with a nod to yesteryear like phsycle said above. I do know that with the invention of the tomicog, rim brakes are not a necessary condition for running a flip flop hub.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I like. I just finished up a rigid 1x1 with rim brakes and 2.4" tires. I'd love to get one of these, but currently the cash isn't around for a new project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwhitey View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. You can flip flop a standard 6 bolt mtb hub with a tomicog. There are only about three 135 OLD flip flop hubs on the market. You can run a tomicog on most standard MTB hubs (I think there is even a way to run them with centerlock adapters but don't quote me on that). Again, the idea here is that you can build this this up from your parts bin. A standard 6 bolt hub is much more likely to be found in the parts bin than a fixed/free hub with mtb spacing.
    True, as that is what most would do for the 135 spacing is run a Tomi-Cog. There are only a couple fixed/free 135 spaced hubs out there.

But if you do that you can't run disc brakes for when you are not fixed. Hence the rim brake

mtbr member
    It's curious they claim a 430mm chainstay length, where Surly had to bend the seat tube on the KM to achieve a similar length.

Rogue Exterminator
    Eh, doesn't do much for me but I could see why one would like it.

If I was going to go for an Urban Commuter bike like that. I would go for the Klunker.
    Complete bike is only about $100 than just the frame set for the JYD.

Transition Bikes

All City JYD (Junk Yard Dog)-bikes_klunker2_pic2.jpg
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    It's curious they claim a 430mm chainstay length, where Surly had to bend the seat tube on the KM to achieve a similar length.
    The seat tube angle is 74.5 vs 73 for the karate monkey, that should buy a little space. It doesn't look like they are making any allowances for derailleurs either.

I want one, but not sure how I can make space
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Also has a shorter wheelbase probably due to the steeper HTA. (Which I like).

It definitely isn't for everyone. Once again, that's why they're only going 150 units. Expensive "urban cruiser", yes, but so is the Klunker. Get a 90's MTB for less than $100 and throw slicks on it.

Had my LBS preorder this for me yesterday. Now need to gather some parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    That's just a Nature Boy with wider tire clearance.

I'd rather build up an Ogre if I really needed v-brakes, but i have more disc 29er wheels lying around than anything else.
    Isn't the Ogre/KM a Cross Check with bigger tire clearance?

mtbr member
    Would be a rad monstercrosser.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I got pretty stoked about that JYD frameset when I was considering building a SS toy. Slim pickings out there for inexpensive steel singlespeed framesets with no stinking disc brakes. Two things ultimately killed it for me: 29er and no XL. Then I stumbled onto a '97 Ibis Mojo frame on ebay for $250 delivered! Summer project, begin.
    'Tis better to bail and not to hurt, than not to bail and eat much dirt!
    -unknown

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

JYD promo video

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodpuppy View Post
    I got pretty stoked about that JYD frameset when I was considering building a SS toy. Slim pickings out there for inexpensive steel singlespeed framesets with no stinking disc brakes. Two things ultimately killed it for me: 29er and no XL. Then I stumbled onto a '97 Ibis Mojo frame on ebay for $250 delivered! Summer project, begin.
    For 26, there are at least some DJ or BMX Cruiser frames available. Nothing (or not much) in the 29er world, as most people run discs. I think the closest might be a Cross Check with a flatbar set up.

But the Ibis definitely trumps the JYD. Those old Mojo's are sweet! Still remember looking at them on bike mags and drooling over them back in the 90's.

sdwhitey - Thanks for posting the vid. Pretty cool.

Dinner for wolves
    Hope the JYD turns some folks on to fixed gear trail riding. It's a great looking frame, but can you say Toe Overlap? I will keep my KM.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Love the idea of the JYD and other 'back to basics' mtbs...anyone else notice the 2015 Kona humuhumunukunukuapua’a? From BikeRumor :

Although a lot of us riding rigid singlespeeds don't need reminders...

mtbr member
    I have my Large frame ordered. Not sure if I'm going full bling ride or moderate build. Bling ride because it's fun vs moderate that I can leave outside a bar or restaurant and still ride it home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast