Robtre

After 6 months on a geared bike, back to SS.

I have been on a SS bike, for 90% of my riding, easy to conclude I love it. I am on my 8th SS bike, but often feel compelled to try new stuff. I built up a Kona Honzo, 27.5 plus wheels, and gears. I hated the bike, but committed to 6 months of riding it. First thing I did was drop the gears, and BOOM, back at it. Here is what I have learned:
    ~Riding geared bikes is a completely different workout. Sitting position, combined with spinning up hills burns the crap out of my legs, and my lungs want to explode.
    ~I am always in the wrong gear, and often times get dropped by riders I smoke on a SS bike.
    ~For me, riding a geared bike, sitting and spinning is so boring. Riding SS on steep terrain is a full body workout. I woke up sore all over today.
    Perhaps its my conditioning, but I can ride so much faster, and much more miles riding SS.

"All-Mountain" geo hardtail, SS, with a dropper post is my jam!
    After 6 months on a geared bike, back to SS.-honzo-deux.jpg
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    +1!
    Yes, good to be back on SS? I have done the same recently.
    The only one I can't fully convert is the Diamond Back Haanjo - Thru axles - and I want to keep it as the geared alternative.
    The Pugsley fat bike, I threw gears on it for better efficiency on sand and snow - a fat bike SS is fun! but throw gears on it if you ever get one and want to use the efficiency of its tires.
    The other bikes in the stable are all SS - because otherwise, I'd cry.

mtbr member
    Your observations bear out mine, when I switch out to a geared bike.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The Honzo works well as a SS? I want one, but I am worried about the low bb on east coast trails. They are sexy tho.

Robtre
    Low BB has been an issue, maybe 1/5 rides on my local stuff.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Gimme free stuff
    I wish the carbon or AL honzo was SS-able
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

WNC Native
    Welcome back and nice looking Honzo!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    The Honzo works well as a SS? I want one, but I am worried about the low bb on east coast trails.
    Decently yes, just add a longer fork. I do prefer a higher BB height myself though.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I've "gone back to gears" twice this year, and barely made a total of 6 rides like that, much less 6 months!
    Definitely a different kind of workout. Better cardio, but gears don't make me faster overall(just faster in different places). Hardtail will stay SS, but my back's forcing me to build a FS bike, which means I'll be riding geared most of the time.
    Planning to run it 10sp and do all my short climbs standing, since SS has convinced me that's mo' better.
    Not much choice if I want to keep mountain biking, but I sure do miss the "direct drive" feeling of being connected to the bike every time I ride a geared one.

wanna ride bikes?
    Nice bike OP, I bet it rides just as good as it looks!
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Having a nice day!
    My friends like me less when I convert to SS I agree with the previous poster that gears are faster in certain places. It just seems that I'm faster on the SS in more places! But I have a geared bike that sees duty on days with a lot of ascending. Plus that bike is a whole lot of fun when it goes the other way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Could not agree more.
    Anyone want to buy my Yeti SB6c? I cannot wait to sell it for a new Reeb SS.
    Less money on service is nice too...one less shock to deal with, and no rear linkage to mess with.

#SSforLife

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I have been on a SS bike, for 90% of my riding, easy to conclude I love it. I am on my 8th SS bike, but often feel compelled to try new stuff. I built up a Kona Honzo, 27.5 plus wheels, and gears. I hated the bike, but committed to 6 months of riding it. First thing I did was drop the gears, and BOOM, back at it. Here is what I have learned:
    ~Riding geared bikes is a completely different workout. Sitting position, combined with spinning up hills burns the crap out of my legs, and my lungs want to explode.
    ~I am always in the wrong gear, and often times get dropped by riders I smoke on a SS bike.
    ~For me, riding a geared bike, sitting and spinning is so boring. Riding SS on steep terrain is a full body workout. I woke up sore all over today.
    Perhaps its my conditioning, but I can ride so much faster, and much more miles riding SS.

"All-Mountain" geo hardtail, SS, with a dropper post is my jam!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HONZO DEUX.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	1157200
    What seat post is that? I love that color.

EXORCIZE
    Bike looks awesome, especially those long, straight top & down tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I built up a Kona Honzo, 27.5 plus wheels, and gears. I hated the bike, but committed to 6 months of riding it. First thing I did was drop the gears, and BOOM, back at it.
    I had a similar experience: built up a geared 120mm hardtail (to complement my rigid Unit), was hating it. Seated climbing sucked. When the RD broke off on the 3rd ride (divine intervention?), I converted to SS, and immediately began enjoying the bike and riding faster.

I can't see ever owning another geared hardtail on my rocky trails. Seated pedaling isn't efficient, comfy or fun. If I'm going to sit much, it's gotta be FS.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

DFMBA.org
    Yup, same here. My geared Niner Jet 9C sits in my garage with a sad face. Ride this 95% of the time. Love SS.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.