mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Advice on SS specific parts

Hi folks.

So I've been riding single speed for a few months now. Got a lovely Cotic Simple 29 frame and have used all my parts from a different build to create my ss.

Now. I bloody love the single, and want to build it properly. I'm thinking about maybe rigid? Maybe a sus fork. Not decided yet. I'm not very well versed in hubs for ss. What's out there? Seen the hope trial hubs. Or should I use something else. I've been sing a surly cog with spacers on my current wheel set but it has chewed up the body somewhat. Don't want the same thing to happen to the hopes if I went down that route. Or should I do a screw on cog? And what works best.

Here's the build as it stands currently.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have never felt the need to have a single-speed specific hub on my mountain bike. a thick cog with spacers works fine, and you have the option to put a cassettes and derailleur on that wheel if needed. if you're worried about chewing up the freehub (which has not been a problem for me with thick SS cogs), get something with a steel or titanium freehub.

singlespeed freewheels are pretty darn cool, but your hub options are pretty limited and there are only about two good, reliable freewheels on the market.

in my case, I only own one bike, so I like the verstility of using a rigid or suspension fork and the option to use gears or SS. if you own several bikes, that might be a different story.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    I run a DT Swiss 240 SS hub with Chris King cogs. Surley cogs on normal Hope Pro 2 hubs did not last very long and also ate a little into freewheel body. No issues with wear on current setup so far.

Advice on SS specific parts-img_20170519_145918_354.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the SS specific hubs. Im really really not a fan of the 'old school' freewheels like White Industries. "screw on" as you put it.

If you're absolutely sure you'll never put gears on the bike, the "ss" hubs that are just short cassette hubs are much easier to deal with in terms of gear ratio swapping. They're wide spoke bracing, but use the vastly more popular cassette cog system.

I haven't bothered too google it, and I don't know what rear hub spacing your Cotic has, but I don't think 12x142 freewheel (Screw on) hubs are made. so that may be the deciding factor.

Lastly, how the %^&* is a wide surly cog chewing into your free hub? do you have play in there? not enough spacers? Is your cassette made of cheese?

I've had exclusively Surly or Kickass cogs on my wheels for years and just recently "experimented with" a 10sp SRAM cassette. 100miles put more marks in it than 3000 miles on a Surly cog.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Hope standard hub with steel free hub body. All problems solved. No point in going ss specific unless you absolutely HAVE to have more poe (88 vs 44).
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    ... I don't think 12x142 freewheel (Screw on) hubs are made. so that may be the deciding factor.
    FWIW, Paul makes a 142x12 Word ss hub for use with ss freewheels.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

eri
    mtbr member
    The bike looks 'properly built' to me. Depends on sort of trails you ride but for me a 120mm fork and dropper are necessary.

For rear hub you might try to get some time on a higher poe hub, might be something you like.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have a Hope Evo 4 Trials/SS hub and I love it. It looks like you have a QR hub. The trials hub is threaded, using two beefy M10 bolts (8 mm allen key) in place of the QR. This is good; prevents shifting in the track ends under heavy braking and just feels super sturdy. Also, it has a steel hub body. It has 88 POE which is great, and once you ride high POE you'll miss it going back to less. Not too expensive, either, can be found just over $200. Uses sealed bearings and is easy to service. The only downsides of this hub are the freewheel is LOUD and seems a little draggy. I personally enjoy the loud noise it makes; it's useful when rolling up on people from behind - they know you are coming.

eri
    mtbr member
    I had a hope trials ss hub, then an i9 ss hub, now I have a Chris king ss hub. I still think the i9 is my favorite for feel because of it's extra poe. I only used endless cogs and never have seen any freehub scarring. The hope and i9 suffered from water in bearings and repeated cleaning was tedious. I'll see how the ck does this winter, it's another lever of construction though, is very pretty.

I really think original poster should wait for problems to come to him. Focus on fit, maybe weight, tires, serve the riding you do.

If the dropout is moving first try a stronger quick release...
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The fit is fine. The bike rides nice and I think I will stick with similar specs to what is on there at the moment. I was just interested in what other ideas about using a ss hub over a cassette body. I only opened this can of worms because I want to rebuild the original bike that all the parts came from and will buy parts specifically for this bike, hence asking about ss specific hub etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wanna ride bikes?
    Most here seem to be in favor of a standard hub. I'll go against the grain (typical singlespeeder) I prefer a dedicated SS hub. Cassette style is a bit easier and cheaper to swap gears, and I favor that but still have one threaded hub and love my WI freewheel. I've had it on a couple bikes now and may even build a new wheelset just so I can keep it.

I recently built two new rear wheels with a Project 321 SS hub and a Hope SS hub. Obviously the P321 is totally badass and was my dream SS hub. The next one will be a Hadley for sure.

I say commit and do it proper. If the sh*t hits the fan you can always buy a geared wheel down the road if necessary.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Single speed specific hub imo. I've used Hope, CK and WI with freewheel, all are great. The best value imo is the Hope SS hub. Its the easiest to service and priced the least, of the three. That's what I use for most rides. Hope does make a 12x142 axle for the SS hub, but I had a hard time getting one, ended up buying directly from Hope.
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Most here seem to be in favor of a standard hub. I'll go against the grain (typical singlespeeder) I prefer a dedicated SS hub. Cassette style is a bit easier and cheaper to swap gears, and I favor that but still have one threaded hub and love my WI freewheel. I've had it on a couple bikes now and may even build a new wheelset just so I can keep it.

I recently built two new rear wheels with a Project 321 SS hub and a Hope SS hub. Obviously the P321 is totally badass and was my dream SS hub. The next one will be a Hadley for sure.

I say commit and do it proper. If the sh*t hits the fan you can always buy a geared wheel down the road if necessary.
    I like the cassette style hub for convenience of changing cogs- either the stubby SS width, or a regular 10 speed body.
    I have a standard 10sp body, because I bought the wheel set a long time ago, and love the hub so much I just can't get rid of it (It's a Hadley) If I bought a new hub it would be a SS-width cassette Hadley hub.

My very first SS wheel set were PAUL hubs with a freewheel. They performed well, I just prefer the 'new school'.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been on a SS specific Hadley for quite a few years now with zero issues. Great hubs.

mtbr member
    I ride with the Chris King ISO SS specific hubs. I think you can get a 142x12.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    The Cotic simple is 135x10 so don't need a 142x12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I get wanting an SS specific hub, and if I could afford it, I'd get a DT, CK, or I9, but I couldn't, and went DT 350. Zero issues. I even upgraded the POE, and determined that it didn't matter to me at all, oh well. Now I know for next time.

mtbr member
    Unless you ride rocks the Poe isn't so important, that said I still miss it when I ride my GT Peace SS. Another vote for SS specific have Hope and Hadley, Hadley superior and not much more.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    imho...

-- DT240ss are hard to beat for reliability and low weight. Lower engagement hasn't bothered me personally, though I've mainly done long distance stuff on them. They look a bit ordinary though.
    -- Paul + WI freewheel looks nice, is fairly reliable but does develop play (easy to set pre-load though). Also a bit heavy, but WI is the best sounding freewheel I reckon. Oh, and it'll cost you more to change your cog to a different size with this setup.
    -- Hope are pretty reliable, good value and a bit heavy in SS form, but the weight does include some heavy bolts. Very loud. Great support from Hope.
    -- CK is the only hub to have left me stranded. Twice. Seals are unsuitable for UK conditions imho, needs cleaning out all the time. It can lose engagement in very cold conditions, though p1ssing on it can help. I also know of another distance racer who swore off these things. On the plus side, they do look nice.

So, personally I go for DT240ss for long distance bikes, Hope for the more "fun" stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've run both Ck and Paul. I like the looks of the Paul, but have had my fair share of issues. Found a cassette style SS hub makes it way easier to peg chainline, cheaper to change gearing, especially if you like high poe. And I don't get these cats that say poe doesn't matter. Poe is like weiner size, if you say it doesn't matter, you are probably lacking.

EXORCIZE
    I splurged on King SS hubs. Couldn't be happier. Going strong 10 years later. Great engagement and still the best sounding hub ever. I regret not getting them again on a more recent bike.

The POE debate is tired.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

The perfessor
    - found a set of Industry Nine (i9) SS 29er wheels on eBay for $425, green anodized.....like their SS hub better than the regular 10 spd hub from the other wheelset.........still requires spacers but that's not an issue to me......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    Poe is like weiner size, if you say it doesn't matter, you are probably lacking.
    Sig worthy
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    - found a set of Industry Nine (i9) SS 29er wheels on eBay for $425, green anodized.....like their SS hub better than the regular 10 spd hub from the other wheelset.........still requires spacers but that's not an issue to me......
    Nice Just recently converted an old bike back to SS and threw on a i9 hub / Arch EX wheel that was on FS bike I am going to sell. While this wheel is not SS specific the i9 is not coming off, the high POE is great for SS!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    high POE is great for SS!
    I jump back and forth between geared and SS on the same bike and wheels frequently, like literally sometimes SS on Saturday, and geared on Sunday. Always with a 72 PoE Hadley hub.
    With the shifter mounted to the brake clamp, it's just bolt on the shifter and RD, zip tie the cable down, and swap in a cassette and longer chain. 15 minutes and I'm rollin.

I digress....

I've noticed that on SS I ratchet my pedals to get the cranks positioned for power and to clear obstacles. High PoE is important to me to get quick engagement and put power down for tech moves with the cranks at the 3 and 9. I don't seem to do this nearly as much with gears, I just spin my way through.
    I owned a set of Hope Pro II's with the 24PoE and it was immediately noticeable. It wasn't confirmation bias, I wanted to like those wheels, but after several rides It seemed like I was having to dab and 'scooter kick' over stuff more because I couldn't precisely ratchet pedal small arcs like before.
    I eventually sold the wheels and reused my Hadley hubs with new rims.

meow, meow.
    Another vote for SS specific hub.

I have tried long term:

Hope Pro 2 SS/Trials -- nice one, except it's way too loud. Not much to say about it otherwise because it's almost a classic design and it works. Freehub shell is stainless and a bit soft -- narrow cogs dig in so it takes 2 whips to remove one.

True Precision Poacher S2 -- kicks all sorts of ass. Silent coasting. 100% reliable, instant engagement. Lacks sealing though, and bearings fit too loose in shell in mine. Uses inch sized bearings and proprietary, tall toothed cogs that let you be *really* lazy at keeping the chain tensioned. Chainline adjustment is narrower than on Hope/Hadley/CK SS specific hubs. 50 mm is maximum I think. Some of the issues may have been addressed in the current generation though.

White Industries ENO Standard with WI freewheel. Chainline adjustment is minimal and threaded MTB hub choice has gotten really narrow these days. I went this route to simplify the bike. Only three bearings in the whole rear wheel and all are metric standard ones. WI freewheel has lower teeth than on TP cogs though, and I had my chain off twice already, both times during run-up for a jump in the same bermed left turn. Must keep close eye on chain tension here. Freewheel sound is rather bearable. It's also the easiest to service. No need to unscrew from hub -- just be sure to clean inboard seal and around it before assembly.

I'm considering an Onyx Racing DJ hub. It's a lot like TP Poacher but with better sealing, metric bearings, and HG splined freehub shell. Intervals between engagement mechanism service are perhaps even longer than on TP (which can easily go for a year if you avoid rains).

PS
    Update on WI freewheel. Dropped chain 2 or 3 more times since this post. Luckily no crashes, but situations it did happen, freaked me out -- at least one was basically a JRA. Chain (SRAM PC-830) reached 0.75% wear by Park Tool CC-3, and I replaced it with a KMC X8-99. My 2nd chain on WI freewheel -- the jury is out.
    Last edited by J. Random Psycho; 1 Week Ago at 12:04 AM.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Just laced an Onyx SS 142x12 to a WTB i29 rim for a new rear wheel, replaced a Hope SS 36h, MTX33 combo for tubeless compatibility. Just 2 rides but the infinite engagement feels awesome almost like fixie hookup, didnt think it would be that noticeable coming from >= 72pt hubs like Hope, Hadley and CK. Also going from arguably one of the loudest hubs to dead silent really enjoyable as well.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    PS
    Update on WI freewheel. Dropped chain 2 or 3 more times since this post. Luckily no crashes, but situations it did happen, freaked me out -- at least one was basically a JRA. Chain (SRAM PC-830) reached 0.75% wear by Park Tool CC-3, and I replaced it with a KMC X8-99. My 2nd chain on WI freewheel -- the jury is out.
    I ran a WI freewheel for a couple years without issues on my Kona Unit. I also started with Sram 8 speed chain and switched to KMC X8. I never dropped a chain once in that time. It now lives a much easier life on my drop bar 29er. I really like the freewheel.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm quite happy with my SS specific hubs. One I9 and one Hope Trials. The hope is louder and if I was buying new thats where i'd put my money. Kickass cog on the I9 and Surly cog on the Hope w/steel freehub. No gouging.
    I picked them up used and got a deal because SS hubs aren't as in demand.
    I'm an ultra clyde and have had no durability issues yet. Broke teeth off my kickass cog but they replaced it since I hadn't used it very long, but no issues with the hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    I'm quite happy with my SS specific hubs. One I9 and one Hope Trials. The hope is louder and if I was buying new thats where i'd put my money. Kickass cog on the I9 and Surly cog on the Hope w/steel freehub. No gouging.
    I picked them up used and got a deal because SS hubs aren't as in demand.
    I'm an ultra clyde and have had no durability issues yet. Broke teeth off my kickass cog but they replaced it since I hadn't used it very long, but no issues with the hubs.
    Keep an eye on the Hope if it's 142x12, more than a few like myself have broken the exo-axle that the 142x12 TA mounts thru right at the needle bearing interface. Mine now has a stell exo-axle from Hope so clyde proof. The fun bolt versions appear to be solid.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Keep an eye on the Hope if it's 142x12, more than a few like myself have broken the exo-axle that the 142x12 TA mounts thru right at the needle bearing interface. Mine now has a stell exo-axle from Hope so clyde proof. The fun bolt versions appear to be solid.
    Mines the fun bolt version. Thanks for the heads up though!

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

meow, meow.
    Thanks from me as well. I had no idea steel axles existed for Hope SS/Trials hubs. Where did you buy yours? Are there steel axles for 10 mm bolts?

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/axles/h...595p10778.html
    It's not 100% clear there what material is which axle.

PS
    (Why fun bolts though? I think this is how CK SS hub bolts are called. These are custom, hollow, M12x1 with 10 mm shank OD. Hope just uses DIN 912, M10x1.5 bolts.)
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    [QUOTE=J.
    (Why fun bolts though? I think this is how CK SS hub bolts are called. These are custom, hollow, M12x1 with 10 mm shank OD. Hope just uses DIN 912, M10x1.5 bolts.)[/QUOTE]

Whoops, yeah you're right CK does the fun bolts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Thanks from me as well. I had no idea steel axles existed for Hope SS/Trials hubs. Where did you buy yours? Are there steel axles for 10 mm bolts?

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/axles/h...595p10778.html
    It's not 100% clear there what material is which axle.

PS
    (Why fun bolts though? I think this is how CK SS hub bolts are called. These are custom, hollow, M12x1 with 10 mm shank OD. Hope just uses DIN 912, M10x1.5 bolts.)
    I got the steel one directly from Hope(free) from US office in Texas. Customer ser ice guy asked if I'd like a steel replacement. Theres a seller on Ebay I believe is Hope (TX location too) has all the parts it looks like. Dont think the bolt version needs steel theres enough material in that area.

Use to calling them that from my ck hub
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS