mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Advice on my first SS Build: 29+?

After 25 years of mountain biking, I've decided now's the time to try a singlespeed. I'm a competitive endurance racer and I think mixing in some SS riding will help me build muscular power and it should be a fun change of pace as well. I'm very much a "spinner" and tend to climb everything seated at a fairly high cadence, so this will push me out of my comfort zone..which will be a good thing.

I'll mainly use this bike for fun and for training, but I want to be able to do the occasional race on it and be competitive. I want a light weight carbon or AL frame, and I'm on the fence between a rigid or suspension fork. I definitely want the ability to run a 29+ tire up front and it would be nice to have that flexibility in the rear as well. Gates carbon drive would be nice, but definitely not a must-have. I can get Specialized, Giant, and Salsa at dealer cost through the shop I race for, and I can get a decent discount on Trek and Scott, so those brands are my first choice for a new bike, but I'm very open to a used bike in another brand as well.

These are on the top of my list right now:
    Woodsmoke (looks pretty ideal, but not many reviews out yet)
    Stache (The BB on the new carbon frames seems too low and the reach too long, so I'd likely go AL)
    Crave SL (Not sure if I'd be able to track down a 2016 in my size, Not 29+, but a great price.)

Any other bikes I should consider? Is 29+ and SS a good combination?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Got a mate who's SS for years he's quick and is gushing over his new stache he's dropping PR's everywhere its disgusting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    been thinking about the new jabberwocky but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think you'll be very limited on frames if you keep the option to run 29+ as a requirement. Now, 27.5+ on a 29r frame is definitely possible, and something that Giant and Pivot have as features on their current SS frames. I think with your pricing on the Giant, that is your no-brainer solution right there.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...nced.ss/26045/

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Guitar Ted Productions

A little on the Woodsmoke here from a knowledgable Iowan.

mtbr member
    Will the Trek Superfly SS go 29+ in the rear? It will up front. It's discontinued but you can still get the 2016's...for now.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Will the Trek Superfly SS go 29+ in the rear? It will up front. It's discontinued but you can still get the 2016's...for now.
    The Superfly SS shares the same carbon fork as the Stache, so definitely will accept a 29+ front tire, but the rear will only hold 2.3 or 2.4 can't remember off the top of my head.

Also, the I think the Crave accepts a 9mm axle(? not 100% sure here), Superfly SS 12x142, Stache conforms to the boost standard; that may help you decide too.

I own a Superfly SS and I like it quite a bit.

I've yet to try a 29+, but if it's SS, it will be fun!!

Ahhh the pain....
    Something you might try is to put either a whisky no. 9 rigid for on, or a less expensive carbon fork and just do 29+ in front. I've been doing that now and absolutely LOVE it. Has some compliance in front, but doesn't have the weight that typical 29+ F & R bikes have.Advice on my first SS Build:  29+?-img_2906.jpg

That Sleestak
    29+ front end on a 27.5+ bike could be an option.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Love it. Rolls over goddamn everything. Currently dinglespeed, but it's a formality because I almost never switch to the low gear anymore...

I came from 2.4" tires and I would say, definitely go tubeless because the tubes and tires together are heavy. Other than that, nothing but upsides. I don't even think I'm slower on pavement- my contact patch didn't change that much.

I love the look of the Stache. I wouldn't worry about the lack of reviews on the Woodsmoke, as Salsa has a good track record of covering their own ass if something breaks (they've recalled voluntarily in the past, and always helped customers out).
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have an SS Superfly with a 29+ front and carbon fork. On a 17.5 frame, I was flopping and popping wheelies on climbs, but switching to an 18.5 frame fixed that. Be mindful of the geo change if you do 29+ front. To add, I still have the 17.5 frame and climbs great with a 120mm fork and regular 29 front, (converted to geared).

Compared to my Stache 5 plus, the SS Superfly with plus front accelerates faster, but still maintains the nice compliance in the front. Both bikes are super fun, but I would race the Superfly SS. However, if the terrain is loose and rocky, I would pick the Stache. Climbing is faster with the insane traction in rear. I haven't tried the Stache in SS mode yet, but I'm sure it will still feel sluggish.

mtbr member
    Definitely go full 29+! I think the Trek Stache should be your top choice.

That Salsa Woodspoke is downright ugly! Sorry, had to say it!

If you want to consider 27+, the Salsa Timberjack looks much better.

mtbr member
    The alloy Gnarvester is another one to consider.
    Signature

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Love it. Rolls over goddamn everything. Currently dinglespeed, but it's a formality because I almost never switch to the low gear anymore...

I came from 2.4" tires and I would say, definitely go tubeless because the tubes and tires together are heavy. Other than that, nothing but upsides. I don't even think I'm slower on pavement- my contact patch didn't change that much.

I love the look of the Stache. I wouldn't worry about the lack of reviews on the Woodsmoke, as Salsa has a good track record of covering their own ass if something breaks (they've recalled voluntarily in the past, and always helped customers out).
    Will the pugs take gears with 29+? Does the wheel fit when slammed all the way forward?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Ibis Tranny? Carbon check. Gates Check. May not fit the big tire though...

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    Will the pugs take gears with 29+? Does the wheel fit when slammed all the way forward?
    Yes, the wheel fits when slammed all the way forward. That's why QBP sells Rabbit Hole wheels with the Pugsley 17.5 offset. They fit perfectly, and even with the wheel slammed forward, there's still some mud clearance.

The pugsley takes gears better as 29+ than it does 26 fat. There's even more clearance between the chain and the tire. The hub on my bike right now is a cassette hub, with spacers and cogs. i could put a cassette and derailleur on in 20 minutes and have a geared bike!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I checked w/ my shop last night and Specialized is completely out of stock on the Crave SL, so it's off my list unless I find a good deal on a nice used one.

I just can't get past the "Miami Green" color of the 2016 Superfly SS.

The one ****** of the Woodsmoke called out a very flexy BB. It's still way too early to know for sure on that bike, but that would be a definite concern.

The Stache is definitely a contender.

I've never been a fan of Giant, but I'm really liking the idea of the Giant XTC in 27.5+. The SS model has a Reba 27.5+/29 fork which will clear some 29+ front tires, and for the price I could afford to build up another set of nicer wheels and make some other upgrades. Or I could get one of the geared versions that has a F34 fork for even more front tire clearance, convert to SS, and then part out the stock drivetrain. I have an older Yeti 575 that I retrofitted with a 27.5 front tire, so I'm already familiar with the Franken-bike pros/cons and how to work through them.

Ibis is probably out of my price range since I can't get a discount on them like I can a lot of the other brands, but the Tranny does look like a cool bike (although limited to 2.3" rear tire.)

Decisions, decisions!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I loved the Stache as a 29+. Thought it was awesome. I love SS. I think it's awesome. I did not think the 29+/SS combination was awesome. Not sure why. Something about the combination of huge tires and one gear was not super-fun for me.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    been thinking about the new jabberwocky but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    I pulled the trigger on one a couple weeks ago. I have been eyeing this frameset for years and in the past they have always sold out of them by winter (when I generally build my stuff). With the update to 29+ I didn't want to sit on it too long.

With that said, I ride a Stache 5 set up SS and it's a pretty fun bike. I will be selling it once I start building the Jabber, but it has been fun to ride this season. Personally I hate the way aluminum rides and Trek has really rubbed me the wrong way with some of their designs/proprietary BS. If you're looking for a light, snappy 29+ the Stache is a good choice though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There are still Craves available in shops if you can find them. I got a great deal on a new old stock 2014 earlier this year. 29 regular is fine for me, but I live in the midwest so YMMV.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Something you might try is to put either a whisky no. 9 rigid for on, or a less expensive carbon fork and just do 29+ in front. I've been doing that now and absolutely LOVE it. Has some compliance in front, but doesn't have the weight that typical 29+ F & R bikes have.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	382.2 KB 
ID:	1088710

Ray, what width rim are you running up front? Is that a DT swiss 9qr? How does the stiffness compare to a Thru-axle suspension fork in terms of wheel tracking/steering?

I got a chance to stick a rigid Bowie fork on my bike for a day and it was a blast, but I knew in 5 minutes I'd also want much bigger rubber out front. It was also a 15mm TA.

I'm Wondering if a reg 9mm fork picked up on the cheap, and mounting a 3.0 tire to my current Stan's Arch rim would yield the results I'm looking for.

I occasionally ride with a guy on a Karate Monkey with an MRP fork and a Chronicle tire, but it's also mounted to a ridiculously wide front rim. (40mm inner?)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    but it's also mounted to an appropriate front rim for a 3" tire. (40mm inner?)
    fixed
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Check out the RSD Big Cheif. Cool looking bike.

mtbr member
    Stache 5 freaking rips. I have a sub 18 pound Pivot Les 29 SS and my Stache 5 kills it virtually everywhere despite being a good 6 pounds heavier. Can't say I really even like riding the Pivot anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I love my Chumba URSA SS!

Comes in a 25 lbs. on the nose. With the exception of a carbon fork and handle bar, all parts are metal!

Advice on my first SS Build:  29+?-img_8705.jpg
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post

Comes in a 25 lbs. on the nose. With the exception of a carbon fork and handle bar, all parts are metal!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8705.jpg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	1089936
    That thing is radical!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    I pulled the trigger on one a couple weeks ago. I have been eyeing this frameset for years and in the past they have always sold out of them by winter (when I generally build my stuff). With the update to 29+ I didn't want to sit on it too long.

With that said, I ride a Stache 5 set up SS and it's a pretty fun bike. I will be selling it once I start building the Jabber, but it has been fun to ride this season. Personally I hate the way aluminum rides and Trek has really rubbed me the wrong way with some of their designs/proprietary BS. If you're looking for a light, snappy 29+ the Stache is a good choice though.
    Let me know how it turns out, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well, I ended up going a slightly different direction. Niner was running a closeout sale on their demo fleet and I was able to get a One 9 RDO at 50% off MSRP. And even better, it actually ended up being a brand new bike straight out of the box instead of a demo! It came w/ a 1x11 drivetrain, so I have some parts to swap out, but I'm looking forward to getting it setup 1x1 and hitting the trail.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I set up my Stache 5 as SS running plus tires. A little different than most but a ton of fun if I have the legs for it any given day. It weighs 25lb with pedals.

Advice on my first SS Build:  29+?-uploadfromtaptalk1472326944049.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I set up my Stache 5 as SS running plus tires. A little different than most but a ton of fun if I have the legs for it any given day. It weighs 25lb with pedals.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1472326944049.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	1090483

Advice on my first SS Build:  29+?-uploadfromtaptalk1472327097860.jpgAdvice on my first SS Build:  29+?-uploadfromtaptalk1472327117952.jpgAdvice on my first SS Build:  29+?-uploadfromtaptalk1472327133538.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by c_t_smith View Post
    Well, I ended up going a slightly different direction. Niner was running a closeout sale on their demo fleet and I was able to get a One 9 RDO at 50% off MSRP. And even better, it actually ended up being a brand new bike straight out of the box instead of a demo! It came w/ a 1x11 drivetrain, so I have some parts to swap out, but I'm looking forward to getting it setup 1x1 and hitting the trail.
    So we we had this whole conversation for nothing? Haha that's a killer ride, good choice! Post some pictures when you get it!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brunjc2 View Post
    So we we had this whole conversation for nothing? Haha that's a killer ride, good choice! Post some pictures when you get it!!
    I finally finished building her up and got a chance to go on my first SS ride! I must have reached for the "missing" shift lever a couple dozen times, but it was a lot of fun. I need to gear up a little bit and shorten the rear brake hose, but other than that, it's pretty dialed in.

• XL Niner One9 RDO
    • Sid fork w/ Specialized Brain inertia valve set to 80mm (may bump it up to 90mm)
    • Crest rims w/ Tune hubs
    • 1.8" S-Works tires for CX racing (will normally run 2.35" tires)
    • XX1 crankset w/ 32T Wolftooth oval c-ring
    • 20T Surley cog (a little too low, will try a 19T and will be using a 15T for CX races)
    • XT brakes
    • Niner carbon bar and seatpost, Niner stem
    • Eggbeater pedals
    • 20lbs

Advice on my first SS Build:  29+?-img_2030.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post

Name:	IMG_8705.jpg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	1089936
    Yes, gsteitz, but does it fly like my 25lb SS Krampus?

From today's ride that you skipped!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Tune hubs? I thought Tune only sold complete geared wheel sets. Do they have single speed hubs now?
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tune does sell hubs separately and they make a SS-specific rear, but they can be hard to find (bike24.com out of Germany can be a good source.) I happened to get lucky and found these wheels on craigslist. They were already built up and had only been ridden a dozen or so times as XC race wheels. These have a standard Shimano freehub (not SS-specific) so I've got a few more spacers and a little more dish than you'd get w/ the dedicated SS hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    My friend has the Tune XC wheels, they are really nice and light but narrow rims. I guess this bike is less 29+ and much more of XC racer. I'm sure it climbs great.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Ahhh the pain....
    [QUOTE=ARandomBiker;12790534]Ray, what width rim are you running up front? Is that a DT swiss 9qr? How does the stiffness compare to a Thru-axle suspension fork in terms of wheel tracking/steering?

It's a stans crest rim which is 21mm internal...ha ha...yeah I know what you all are thinking...nearly 2000 miles on this setup now running at 13-14psi in front... It is a 9mm RWS thru bolt in a QR fork. I'm sure its more flexy than a wide rim with a bigger thru bolt. I am building up a 30mm inner carbon wheel for the front that should stiffen things up a bit. The fork is a 465mm a-c which works good. I have a 490mm a-c fork of the same design and although it slacked the HT angle some, it was hard to keep the front end hooked up on sketchy turns.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

It's a stans crest rim which is 21mm internal...ha ha...yeah I know what you all are thinking...nearly 2000 miles on this setup now running at 13-14psi in front... It is a 9mm RWS thru bolt in a QR fork. I'm sure its more flexy than a wide rim with a bigger thru bolt. I am building up a 30mm inner carbon wheel for the front that should stiffen things up a bit. The fork is a 465mm a-c which works good. I have a 490mm a-c fork of the same design and although it slacked the HT angle some, it was hard to keep the front end hooked up on sketchy turns.
    No jugement on the Stan's rim. I was actually wondering if I could make that work with my Arch rim.
    Ultimately, I kinda went the other way, I put i30mm rims on my bike and just kept using the 2.25-2.4 tires. But now with a rim that is more appropriate for a plus tire, and a taste of a #20 bike with razor sharp handling, I'm even more rigid curious and trying to decide if I could be satisfied with a QR fork. They're a lot more common and generally less expensive.
    My hub can swap from 15TA to 9QR in literally about 30 seconds, so I pop on the fork, mount the brake and swap the axle in the hub and off we go. I'm not sure if a proper 3.0 tire would fit under my X-Fusion fork arch.
    I've heard a Panarace FatBNimble 3.0 is actually about 2.8, that could potentially allow for double-duty setup.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    No jugement on the Stan's rim. I was actually wondering if I could make that work with my Arch rim.
    Ultimately, I kinda went the other way, I put i30mm rims on my bike and just kept using the 2.25-2.4 tires. But now with a rim that is more appropriate for a plus tire, and a taste of a #20 bike with razor sharp handling, I'm even more rigid curious and trying to decide if I could be satisfied with a QR fork. They're a lot more common and generally less expensive.
    My hub can swap from 15TA to 9QR in literally about 30 seconds, so I pop on the fork, mount the brake and swap the axle in the hub and off we go. I'm not sure if a proper 3.0 tire would fit under my X-Fusion fork arch.
    I've heard a Panarace FatBNimble 3.0 is actually about 2.8, that could potentially allow for double-duty setup.
    I ended up picking up that fork in the pic for $100... Think I paid $125 for the 490mm a-c fork...I definitely get what you're saying about a quick swap from 9thru to 15thru...love the hubs that are just end cap swaps.
    Some friends have run that fat-b-nimble tire and cut them in no time. Worries me on a front tire to have that kind of fragility.
    The razor sharp handling is awesome...for smooth stuff (Browns Ranch, McD, Sonoran) it's crazy good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post

A little off maybe a lot off topic but what lid are you wearing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerM41 View Post
    A little off maybe a lot off topic but what lid are you wearing?

Funny . At the risk of contributing to a thread hijack, it's a specialized Ambush. Super comfortable, well-vented and light. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Funny . At the risk of contributing to a thread hijack, it's a specialized Ambush. Super comfortable, well-vented and light. Highly recommended.
    Thanks bud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    This is so so sick!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

nice stem.
    Pedal through it!