mtbr member

AC freewheels any good?

Does anyone have experience wiht Adventure Components (aka AC racing) freewheels?

I like the idea that you can remove them with a Shimano BB tool, but before I order one I'd love to have some perspective on how durable, etc they are.

King Pin

... and if we just ...

My experience...the AC freewheels work well, as do the Shimano's.

The White Bros. ENO is THAT much better, tho.....don't think I'll ever break mine.

I stopped carrying a "spare" FW with me upon purchasing the ENO......

Quote Originally Posted by farley
    Does anyone have experience wiht Adventure Components (aka AC racing) freewheels?

I like the idea that you can remove them with a Shimano BB tool, but before I order one I'd love to have some perspective on how durable, etc they are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    I stopped carrying a "spare" FW with me upon purchasing the ENO......
    The idea of carrying a spare implies you'd swap it out in the feild--

Every freewheel change I've ever done has involved a vice and foul language--and in one case, a vise, a dremel cutting wheel and an enormous amount of foul language.

Is there some trick--some easier way--for freewheel removal that I've missed all these years?

Farley

King Pin

Smile

I've always carried a spare just in case. If'n my main freewheel crapped out, I would certainly mount the extry one on the other side of my "flip-flop" hub.

No "tricks" involved here!!

Every freewheel change I've ever done has involved a vice and foul language--and in one case, a vise, a dremel cutting wheel and an enormous amount of foul language.

Is there some trick--some easier way--for freewheel removal that I've missed all these years?

Farley

hands up who wants to die
    I was using an AC888 f/w on my roadie before it was run over & destroyed. I didn't get too many miles on it, but it *appeared* to be of nice build quality than the ACS I had previously, Shimano or the cheapos (Dicta). It was very quiet and smooth; appeared to be more round than the ACS. Also, I like the BB-tool installation better than the traditional 4-peg f/w tool.

As soon as I get around to it, I'll transfer the AC f/w over to my new Monocog, which came with the crappiest-looking f/w I've ever seen (gaps big enough to almost see inside the %$#& thing!).

I would take a chance on it over the ACS or Shimano if you can deal with 15/16t... too bad AC can't get their act together to offer the larger sizes.

-r

mtbr member
    ... too bad AC can't get their act together to offer the larger sizes.

-r[/QUOTE]

In theory, they do have larger sizes. . .

BTI (a distrubutor that sells to bike shops) has parts numbers listed for sizes up to 20t, but hasn't had them in stock since I've been looking.

Harriscyclery.com refers to "other sizes available up to 20 teeth. . ."

I had been thinking they were just out of stock temporarily at BTI---is there more to the story that what I know?

hands up who wants to die
    AC has been threatening to sell the larger sizes for at least a year. So far - no sign of them, beyond listings like you mentioned, AFAIK.
    I'm not sure if they'll ever make 'em at this point. Singlespeeders are either sticking with the ACS or spending the big $$$ on the White Ind. (or going with a cassette hub). AC is definitely not chasing the MTB SS market by any means.
    Futhermore, the trend in BMX is to smaller & smaller f/ws and tiny cassette hubs, so there isn't a demand for 16t+ F/Ws in that sector.

AC seems to be a rather lax company. Their website is ugly as hell, and they never answered my emails.

-rob

glyphic bacon

Not a trail worthy method of freewheel removal...

...but the easiest way I've found for removing stubborn freewheels is to use an impact gun. Y'know one of those pistol looking things they use to remove lug nuts on cars that make that "Voooooooot-Vooooot!!!" sound in the local auto garage? I've used electric and pneumatic versions before...both zapped that damned freewheel right off, usually in about 1 second: DONE DEAL.

And if you dont want to buy one, then you can always take it to the local garage and have a mech zap it off for you (just make sure you bring your freewheel tool with you).

Farley