Sofa King We Todd Did

About half-links

A few days ago, I asked about trying to remedy a chainslapping problem I'm having with my drivetrain. Shiggy suggested I shorten the chain while 32seventeen recommended a half-link. Well, today I tried mucking around with shortening the chain. Turns out that if I remove a full link, the chain's too short for my 32/15 setup. When I add a full link to the chain, I get the same chainslap problem with my 32/18 setup. Seems like either look for cogs with one more tooth or try and see if a half-link will solve my woes.

Are half-links one-size-fits-all? I know that there are half-links that will only work with 1/8" chains while others only work with 3/32" chains. I run PC48 chain which is a 3/32" chain, so will any 3/32" half-link work or do they have to come from a certain manufacturer?

So far, the only place I can find a 3/32" half-link is Webcyclery. I need to call them to see if they have it in stock. Does anyone know of any other sources?

Thanks a mil.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    harris cyclery has them too.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I started with a KMC half link on a Connex (whipperman) chain. It worked great for a week before the half link let loose and I went flying over the bars.

The kind folks at MTBR pointed me to Spicer.

A few days later I got a new half link from Spicer, installed it and haven't looked back since.

Most half links that I found are made for BMX width chains since that was their original application. He may have narrower ones available though.

Hope that helps.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Get the Spicer half link, it's ~$10 and works great. Used them when I rode a converted frame without problems.

mtbr member

Sofa King We Todd Did
    That's essentially my question here: it appears that almost all these half-links are made by KMC. Will these KMC half-links work with my SRAM chain?

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    That's essentially my question here: it appears that almost all these half-links are made by KMC. Will these KMC half-links work with my SRAM chain?
    After my experience, I question whether a KMC half link will work at all for a SS.

Take it easy.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Go with the Spicer, has been proven to work on singlespeeds.

mtbr member
    but keep in mind, a half-link will not always solve your problem.

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    but keep in mind, a half-link will not always solve your problem.
    FULLY agree with ya here! On my first convert, to run 36/18, I needed to use an "offset" link, and still needed a tensioner. When I first thought of using an offset link, it was being used in the application where each offset link is like 8" long and about 4-5" wide...big stuff. I looked through the stock room parts inventory and found that the links are sized by numbers, not by sizes. I hadta order several before I got the correct ones to use with a PC1 (not crap in my experiences) and another with a PC48 or PC58, I don't remember which...not like it really matters if the chain is the same width. These links are very much more industrial than anything I found at any hardware store, I haven't seen the ones from Spicer. I can get as many as I want or need, so why pay for one. I think that as far as strength goes, I lean towards going with the industrial side of the spectrum, it's actually intended to be next to bulletproof.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I have every intention of still using a tensioner when I get this half-link. The purpose of the half-link is not to remove the tensioner but to reduce the chain length enough so that I don't suffer chain slap.

What is this 'offset link' and what do your dimensions refer to, loonyOne?

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Objectionable Material
    After my experience, I question whether a KMC half link will work at all for a SS.

Take it easy.

Peter

I ran a half link for several months on my previous SS. I needed it just a little bit so that I could run my Soulcraft tensioner in the 'push up' positon.

I snapped it under hard cranking.

I replaced it, but could never get it dialed back in. In the end I purchased a SS frame with horizontal dropouts.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com