Thread: 80mm Forks??

mtbr member

80mm Forks??

I'm going to get a 80mm fork for my single speed but am wondering about what I should get. Originally my heart was set on a Fox F80, but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on other forks, since I'm trying to save a little. Budget is $500-700. Oh, also, has anyone tried the Magura forks? I was also looking at the Menja 85, but I can't find a review!

mtbr member
    If you're trying to get something great for less money, I recommend the Reba SL (sale at Speedgoat here).

mtbr member
    I have 07 and 09 rebas and a Fox F29. Of the 3 I would recommend the Fox. I have the 09 reba on my SS and the lock out works like crap - a sin for a SS. In comparison the Fox is like a rigid when it is locked out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanGalaty
    I have 07 and 09 rebas and a Fox F29. Of the 3 I would recommend the Fox. I have the 09 reba on my SS and the lock out works like crap - a sin for a SS. In comparison the Fox is like a rigid when it is locked out.
    Just to clarify, the lockout on the RS forks are designed to have a small amount of travel. I have the same lockout on my Tora and it feels as firm as you need it to for SS riding without rattling you if you hit rough stuff. That 10mm or so of travel is fairly firm and had no practical effect on any riding I used it for (unless you're trying to be picky)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    That 10mm or so of travel is fairly firm and had no practical effect on any riding I used it for (unless you're trying to be picky)
    The 07 works as you indicate but the 09 has nearly full travel when it is locked out despite the high psi. I was riding with a friend the other day and he did not believe the fork was locked out since it was bobbing so much - he had to look at the knob for himself.

RJG
    mtbr member

Must be something wrong if you get full travel while locked?

My pop lock on my Reba hasn't worked for months nor has the motion control in general. My motion control cartridge is stuck open or something. You should have it checked out if you are getting full travel, there has to be something wrong with the mechanism. Mine used to lock out fine with a little normal play but totally insignificant. I like the tunability of the Reba. That being said, I also have a Fox F80 terralogic fork that works like a dream for the SS.
    R

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for your responses guys. I've decided on the Magura Menja85, mainly because I did find some reviews for it and from what i've read it's essentially an affordable Fox fork. Given I did have a F100 on my full suspension and it was the most awesome fork ever, times are tough for me, and I don't think i'll sacrifice too much with the Menja.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanGalaty
    The 07 works as you indicate but the 09 has nearly full travel when it is locked out despite the high psi. I was riding with a friend the other day and he did not believe the fork was locked out since it was bobbing so much - he had to look at the knob for himself.
    Then get it fixed

mtbr member
    So, just got the Menja in today, put it on and tested her out. HO-LY CRAP, that thing is awesome. Feels like butter, tracks amazingly on the trails, in fact, I felt a lot more confident commiting to certain turns that made today's ride unbelievably amazing. That, or it's just because it's been super muddy for the past few months and this is the first day in a long time it's actually been good to ride. Also, I should add this thing is really stiff torsionally, due to Magura's ingenious Dual Arch Design. I might get bad responses from others, but i'm really glad I didn't get the Fox F80!

metrotuned WoS
    Kaboose, looks like you found your choice. In hingsight, would go with the Fox 80mm ... you never regret buying exactly what you want from the get-go. Sooner or later, you have to upgrade and it costs twice as much after you count your wasted time. (I owned a 2008 Fox F29 80mm RLC and own a Fox F80X Terralogic). If equipped with a low budget, used Reba's are $200-300, new Manitou Minutes are $300, used F29 RLC's are $400 (you can also get G2 oem F29s for about the same price). Looks like you're happy with the Magura.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout