Thread: 80 or 100mm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

80 or 100mm?

I'm thinking of having a custom SS built up soon. Was wondering which would be better, 80 or 100mm of travel up front. It would just be for fun riding and maybe the occasional mud race. Have ridden both on several different bikes and prefer 100mm (more fun and forgiving), but usually race on 80mm. TIA.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    One opinion - rigid or Marzo ECC

Obviously depends on local trails, etc but with a lot of out-of-the-saddle climbing, I'd strongly recommend either a rigid or (best of both worlds) a Marzo 80 or 100mm fork with the ECC. The newer Marathon's have the ETA which leaves an inch or so of travel. The older ECC (in the Marzo Atom's and maybe first generation Marathon) completely locks out at the bottom of the travel so it can effectively be rigid. That may be a pretty fun set up. I personally find fully rigid to be pretty fun. Especially after riding it a whole bunch and then switching back to my 5" trailbike. Makes you feel like a superhero!

As for 80 vs 100, also depends somewhat on your frame and the resulting HA. For a fun bike, I'd lean toward more travel. Heck, get a 5" Z1 with the ECC!

Again, just one opinion. There will be others. S

gentle like

definitely go marz with ecc

... feel like i'm following dsr's posts around!

i run the '105' mm mx-comp ('03) and love it - the ecc is a fantastic feature, and i love still having the 30mm of give it provides while climbing.

i know that some british companies (like cotic) are now building hardtail trailbikes designed to take 125 mm forks, and while i haven't ridden any of them, i think that 5" on a hardtail equates to a little too much squish for my taste. 100 mm is plenty imo, and the ecc is fantastic.

and why do 80 when you can use 100? i don't feel there's much efficiency difference between those two with fork damping quality, etc, these days.

rigid is ... well, pretty crazy. i've done it (via my 'cross bike), but found i just got pounded while riding with anyone else who had suspension bikes - and thats who all i ride with. plus i already have some serious pins in both shoulders - the rigid experience gave me some truly awe-inspiring tendonitis. it's not worth the pain for me, but i can still see the appeal. it was a hoot clearing big logs on the cross bike, and holding on for dear life while trying to rail corners.

USB Rep'n
    to each his own but I use 1 on mine and love it!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ha! I'll follow you up now...

Yeah, I do feel the rigid fork in my right wrist from time to time. And I've had a couple of occasions where one hand has slipped off when banging through some rough stuff. Fortunately I've been able to regain my grip and stay up each time. That's always a little scary though. Actually, I've lost my left grip twice while riding. Both times on my hardtail, but with 80mm of front suspension. All I can say is that both of those occasions were my scariest times on a bike. Both times carrying pretty good speed and not paying enough attention and next thing I know my left hand is practically in my front spokes with my face and body following! Hit with a bounce and then slid 20' while still half clipped in. Ugly. But fortunately just some scrapes and bruises. Endos and washing out your front tire are no fun, but the feeling of just free-falling forward off the bike is awful.

Anyway, yeah, go rigid! S

gentle like

grip like your hand or grip like the rubber thing?

if it's the rubber thing, as i have had troubles with in the wet, might i suggest odi lock-ons.

there's a thicker and a thinner (can't remember names or which is which right now) but they do the trick nicely.

oury grips came highly recommended to me, and man did they ever suck for coming loose in a hurry.

mtbr member

Fox adjustable

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    I'm thinking of having a custom SS built up soon. Was wondering which would be better, 80 or 100mm of travel up front. It would just be for fun riding and maybe the occasional mud race. Have ridden both on several different bikes and prefer 100mm (more fun and forgiving), but usually race on 80mm. TIA.

If you get the Fox Talas or version of it you can switch between 80-125mm. Build the bike around a 100mm and then raise it for more of a free-ride style or lower for more of a race bike feel.

I had 4 Marz forks and loved them until I put a Fox on, sold all the Marz's to buy the new Fox forks.

Works for me,
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

JAK
    mtbr member

Like the General said, +

80 mm may as well be rigid

The above suggestion will make for a very versaitle ride.

BTW--Hey General, were you at the MSLA Airport a week or so ago...
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Grip like my hand...

Just got knocked off the grip. Strange. The first time it took me a couple seconds to realize what happened. The second time I put 2 and 2 together right about the moment my shoulder hit the ground. Stupid, stupid... S