mtbr member
    Mar 2013

76er question with disk brake conversion follow up ?

Greetings, hope this finds you all well.

I have a 93 rockhopper (steel I think) set up ss with an eno.

Two related questions: 1. can you run a 27.5 front wheel with this fork (rigid, steel I think), sort of a 76er.

Since these new wheels seem to be disk brake centric, question 2. suggestions on getting a disk brake fitting attached/welded to the fork.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No idea on the fork/tire clearance, get out a measuring tape.

Retrofitting disk bracket onto a steel fork is possible if the fork is built study enough to handle the load. Danger is that poorly designed brackets added to a lightweight fork can result in bending the fork during braking. You need to have something like this paragon bracket brazed or TIG welded to the fork.
    www.paragonmachineworks.com - BK2009SteelISOCaliperMountWillits

If you can even find a reputible local framebuilder willing to take it on, it will likely cost almost to have done and repaint as just buying a new cheap fork that already has a disk mount. You might also take a chance, buy the bracket yourself, mock-up the bracket position with a caliper, hub and rotor and then take it all to a generic welding shop and see if they are willing stick it together for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for your response and the link, will look into it. Good point about the measuring tape, being lazy I sometimes go the easy route and type out a question versus figuring out myself. Again, thanks.

mtbr member
    I doubt that you'll be happy with a 650B on the front end of that bike. Most 26ers that do a front 650 conversion tend to run 20-30mm shorter of a fork to make up for the taller tire profile - basically to make the headtube in the same location relative to the ground despite having a taller tire underneath. With that old of a frame, it's already running a really short rigid fork so it'll be really hard to get one shorter to keep the frame geometry the same.

Might be worth getting a new disc fork and running a really fat 26" tire instead. The difference between a 26x2.4 and skinny 650B tire is not as large as you'd think.