Thread: 650b Experiment

Kicker of Elves

650b Experiment

Some of this info is posted in the 650b and Sette forums - apologies to those who might find this thread redundant.

So, one day I got to thinking I had just about enough spare parts to build another SS on the cheap and started looking around for frames. A Haro Beasley dealio was going down on a popular auction site and I thought it would be cool to add a 650b to the mix. So I bought one, almost had it done, and totally lost interest in the project and sold the frame. But it would have looked like this except with brakes:

So, then on another day I'm looking at the 650b wheels and tires along with the other parts and start to think it was a shame I never tried the wheel size. Around $145 later I had another frame and the 650b budget project was alive again.

Of course, sometimes you just can't leave things alone and start messing around with different forks from other bikes you have laying around and stuff.

Anyway, this is my least expensive SS but it is very close to being my favorite. I kind of feel like I'm getting away with something due to the cost / performance ratio of this thing. If it didn't have Nevegals for tires I would race it but for now it's my number 1 pick for regular rides.

I don't like to get into wheel size discussions but can say that for ME, where I RIDE, that the wheel size is very, very nice.

And so are 26" and 29"...

The need for singlespeed
    I like it. Looks aggresive. How are you tensioning?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I like the new fork. What is it?

I've been kicking around the idea of putting an X Fusion Enix on mine. Since it's primarily for urban use a rigid carbon fork like that would make more sense though. I keep wanting to justify the Enix by considering it a back up for my Niner.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

Kicker of Elves
    Thanks guys.

Tension was achieved with a half link and a filed axle. Another benefit of the budget build was that the idea of filing the axle did not result with much, if any, real reservation.

The fork is a Carver that I was using on my 29". It actually was a pretty noticeable change with the aluminum frame. I rode it last weekend in an area I've ridden my alu cross bike in the past and it was MUCH smoother than the rigid CX.

Ovaries on the Outside
    That is pretty titty ****ing kewl. You need to be more of a dick about your wheelsize choice though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    Some of this info is posted in the 650b and Sette forums - apologies to those who might find this thread redundant.

So, one day I got to thinking I had just about enough spare parts to build another SS on the cheap and started looking around for frames. A Haro Beasley dealio was going down on a popular auction site and I thought it would be cool to add a 650b to the mix. So I bought one, almost had it done, and totally lost interest in the project and sold the frame. But it would have looked like this except with brakes:

So, then on another day I'm looking at the 650b wheels and tires along with the other parts and start to think it was a shame I never tried the wheel size. Around $145 later I had another frame and the 650b budget project was alive again.

Of course, sometimes you just can't leave things alone and start messing around with different forks from other bikes you have laying around and stuff.

Anyway, this is my least expensive SS but it is very close to being my favorite. I kind of feel like I'm getting away with something due to the cost / performance ratio of this thing. If it didn't have Nevegals for tires I would race it but for now it's my number 1 pick for regular rides.

I don't like to get into wheel size discussions but can say that for ME, where I RIDE, that the wheel size is very, very nice.

And so are 26" and 29"...
    Nice. What are the axle to crown heights on those two forks?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Both bikes look pretty badass Stretch.

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Nice. What are the axle to crown heights on those two forks?
    One is 464 and one is 465. By my super high tech calculations and research I think the HTA is about 69.5...

But it's very likely I'm likely wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So the wheels fit OK in the frame and fork, even though they were meant for 26ers? This looks pretty cool, can you post more spec? I like my 29er but would love to try something else on the cheap for kicks.

Kicker of Elves
    Yeah, no prob. I posted details over here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...0b-743809.html

mtbr member
    What size chain ring is that?

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    What size chain ring is that?
    36t
    110bcd

Members who have read this thread: 0