Kosher Princess

New question here. 5-speed Singlespeed Conversion - Chain Question

I picked-up an old Raleigh Mountain Tour the other day and it came with a 5-speed freewheel system, and instead of trying to make that work I'm going to convert the bike to a singlespeed.

Can I use a singlespeed chain with the 5-speed freewheel, cogs and all, or is the chain going to be too wide even for the 5-speed?

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie Portman
    I picked-up an old Raleigh Mountain Tour the other day and it came with a 5-speed freewheel system, and instead of trying to make that work I'm going to convert the bike to a singlespeed.

Can I use a singlespeed chain with the 5-speed freewheel, cogs and all, or is the chain going to be too wide even for the 5-speed?
    Yes, a singlespeed chain (1/8") will still be too wide. You should however check out this POST on how to modify that freewheel.
    Last edited by aka brad; 08-04-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    or just use a 3/32" (8spd) chain and find two gears with a good straight chainline and your off to the races.

i doubt cogs that old have shift ramps. if they do i would avoid my super ghetto technique or you'll risk dropping the chain.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Yes, a singlespeed chain (1/8") will still be too wide. You should however check out this POST on how to modify that freewheel.
    Thanks!

I checked the post, and like the idea, but the post is rather incomplete as no suitable spacer or locking mechanism for securing the single cog to the freewheel was ever resolved, or so it seemed. Cleanliness is always better than clutter so the SS mantra goes, and I like it that way, but can't get my mind around how to securely manage the multi-cog freewheel.

I'll think on it somemore.

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    or just use a 3/32" (8spd) chain and find two gears with a good straight chainline and your off to the races.

i doubt cogs that old have shift ramps. if they do i would avoid my super ghetto technique or you'll risk dropping the chain.
    Well, it's got those squared Suntour cogs, so perfect for the conversion. And yes, I knew an 8-speed chain would work as well as 9-speed, of which I've only got them pricey hollow-pin versions lying about, so I was thinking of picking up a new colorful SS specific chain if it'd work.

None the less, I cleaned the old semi-rusted chain it came with until I get my mind around what I should do with the freewheel, ghetto conversion or not.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why not just buy an SS freewheel?

Kosher Princess

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Why not just buy an SS freewheel?
    Because at this point, these boat anchors aren't worth a penny more.

And once ridden into the ground, I'll find a proper freehub wheelset.

Not to mention dish.

mtbr member
    If it's really old, an 1/8" chain might fit.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland