mtbr member
    Apr 2008

40-42T, 104bcd Narrow Wide Chainrings - Do they exist?

I'm looking for a 40-42T Narrow Wide Chainring to use with my Shimano XT cranks (104bcd) for gravel racing. The largest I've been able to find is 38T. Does anyone make larger?

mtbr member
    Why do you want a narrow wide? I don't see how there is any advantage on a singlespeed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It was recommended in another thread for better chain retention.

Actually, I'll open up my search to any 40-42T, 104bcd chainrings that are reasonably priced. I've found a few BMX rings that would work, but I do wonder what else is out there.

mtbr member
    So, you might have a look at the Blackspire Downhill chainrings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    wickwerx makes one i believe.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    As far as running a narrow wide on a SS.......I ordered a 104 BCD aluminum ring once from Jensen USA made by FSA ?? (I think) and it would not fit on the middle of my Race Face cranks. It would fit on the outside though. I sent it back and ordered a Race Face ring (which was narrow wide) for that reason. I asked Jensen USA when this happened if it was common and the guy said something about other manufacturers rings not fitting competitors cranks. IDK just know what I went through. Now a Shimano middle ring from a Shimano cankset fits. So IDK. I may have ordered a 32 tooth FSA outer ring IDK. I assumed a 32 tooth would naturally be for a middle position though. So I guess the reason I posted this here is to explain why I am running a narrow wide on a SS. It isn't necessary.. but when mine wears out someday I may look at other options. I think the ring is performing well though so I am happy.

Now the biggest ring I was able to find for my 104 BCD was a 38 tooth Race Face ring. Not sure whats out there for a 42 tooth

mtbr member

Idea! This is what you are looking for:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar View Post
    I'm looking for a 40-42T Narrow Wide Chainring to use with my Shimano XT cranks (104bcd) for gravel racing. The largest I've been able to find is 38T. Does anyone make larger?
    There is a small independent bike company based out in Lithuania (of all places!) called 'Amber Bikes' that have managed to engineer such a concoction...

Amber Bikes | 104BCD NarrowWide 42T (Red) | Quality components

I have ordered a 104BCD 42T from them, it's on it's way in the mail. I'll review when I get a chance (hopefully I remember to though)!
    CURRENT BIKE

Lapierre XR 529 e:i (2014) White/Black

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's cool I am also looking for one too for my monster cross build. I tried putting a specialized road spider on my carbon specialized mountain bike cranks (s-works) models thinking they would fit ok. Then bought the race face 42t narrow wide 130bcd 5 bolt circle and then found out as I attached it alltogther that the chainring was skiwiff when cranking over (not straight inline). So took it all apart and realised even though the fitments are the same between road and MTB, the road spider interferes with the mountain drive side crank arm.

So new plan is to use the Lightning 104 BCD 4 bolt spider and was looking to get a 42t narrow wide ring. Could not find one anywhere, but I will probably buy this one. It would be nicer if it were black though.

Please give me a review of your chainring, this would be helpful.

Thanks

Say "Cheese"
    Quote Originally Posted by inverse_of_zero View Post
    There is a small independent bike company based out in Lithuania (of all places!) called 'Amber Bikes' that have managed to engineer such a concoction...

Amber Bikes | 104BCD NarrowWide 42T (Red) | Quality components

I have ordered a 104BCD 42T from them, it's on it's way in the mail. I'll review when I get a chance (hopefully I remember to though)!
    Wow, good find! Curious if you received your Amber 42T NW chainring yet? Plan to order one, but would first like to get your opinion on the quality and performance. Time will tell how durable it is, but should wear well since 7075-T651 Aluminum. Thanks!
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

mtbr member
    Try Garbaruk. I believe they make them in round for sure in oval. All colors and great to deal with. I have 2 on the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hi guys,

Came here because i was looking for the name of this company Amber Bike that i forgot (somehow the chainring i've bought last year from them came without logo...).
    However i will buy again from them as i'm more than happy with what i've got. In the past i had bad experience with Garbaruk. Quality was good but custom stopped the package and asked me for 19,6% VAT to pay and additionnal 9euros for custom clearance !!!! The ring itself was very good.

I'm just not so keen with the red color but if they do custom rings of other BCD why they couldn't make other color ? Will drop an email and let you know

Say "Cheese"
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Try Garbaruk. I believe they make them in round for sure in oval. All colors and great to deal with. I have 2 on the way
    Thanks fixgeardan! Just checked out their site. Garbaruk makes up to 48T Round and 46T Oval (Melon). So pretty sure they currently offer the most size & color options in larger (>40T) NW 104BCD chainrings.
    “What was, was, and what is, is, is and this what is…is what's happening right now.”
    -Paul Teutul Sr.

mtbr member
    Hi all, sorry for the lack of responding to you all. Bike is currently being rebuilt so the chainring has been sitting in the spare parts box unfortunately.. I'll probably get a review out sometime by late January.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    CURRENT BIKE

mtbr member
    Hi all, just an update: the 42T narrow wide chainring in 104 BCD from Amber Bikes didn't clear my chainstay so it's up for sale if someone's interested PM me. Happy to ship worldwide. It's black.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

EDIT: chainring has now been sold, thanks to those that indicated their interest!
    Last edited by inverse_of_zero; 06-19-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    CURRENT BIKE