Thread: 31.4 seatpost?

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005

New question here. 31.4 seatpost?

I am in the process of bringing an old bike back from the dead as an SS, and it has a 31.4 seatpost. I have the original Kalloy, but it weighs about as much as the frame does. Does anyone know where I can find a post this size that is not a boat anchor Kalloy? I see one on ebay, a kalloy uno or something like that, and they claim it is not too heavy, but, I am unsure just how strong this post would be, as I am about 220 lbs.

I think a seatpost shim could also be done, but I would really rather just go with a different post.

Recovering couch patato
    Ritchey has them, as does BBB. Neither rally light. With a bit of sand paper (I won't officially recommend that), the frame might take a Thomson 31.6, which is pretty slick and slips in my 31.6 frame. I've got a 31.4 frame as well, and I sanded a 31.6 Ritchey Pro to be shoved in it, so I could give it's original Comp to my GF to have a fiddle-free seatpost. It actually wasn't that impossible a fit in the end.
    Hope this helps, don't quote me on any of this.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Am I getting too bulky?
    Those Kalloy posts are probably stronger than any you can buy on the aftermarket, and certainly stronger than the Ritchey post. I'm sure Roox makes one, but the NRG Enterprises web site seems to be down.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    The only bit I can put in here is that after bending 3 Kalloy posts, I purchased a Thomson and have had no problems since.

mtbr Decade+

And...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    With a bit of sand paper (I won't officially recommend that), the frame might take a Thomson 31.6, which is pretty slick and slips in my 31.6 frame.
    with a bit of sandpaper and...25,000 wankin' strokes!!!! Then you'll have legs like Lance and forearms like Popeye!