Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

3 x 1 drivetrain sighted...

on monday afternoon i ran into a bike patrol ranger on my local loop. he's a very cool guy who often rides a singlespeed fat chance. this time he was on a giant hardtail of some type with a z1, some huge wheels & tires and a 3 x 1 drivetrain. he was running a standard front derailleur/3 ring combo and a single bmx cog (spaced out) on the back, with an xt derailleur tensioning the whole deal.

never seen that before. he says it works great and he likes it a lot, though not as much as his fat chance ss.
    [size=1][/size]

Singled out
    Jan 2004

3 x 1 is cool, but...

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    on monday afternoon i ran into a bike patrol ranger on my local loop. he's a very cool guy who often rides a singlespeed fat chance. this time he was on a giant hardtail of some type with a z1, some huge wheels & tires and a 3 x 1 drivetrain. he was running a standard front derailleur/3 ring combo and a single bmx cog (spaced out) on the back, with an xt derailleur tensioning the whole deal.

never seen that before. he says it works great and he likes it a lot, though not as much as his fat chance ss.
    ...it has some draw backs.

1) You still get that annoying chain slap on the stay and front deraileur.
    2) I used a ramped middle ring to help with shifting and it just didn't hold up to the task and wore out very quickly. Maybe there's something out their more durable, but I was not about to spend big $ on this set-up.
    3) It was a fun, but it wasn't as fun as a single speed.

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

Why not the other way around?

Sometime ago there was a mention in Dirt Rag Mag of a "Tom Mitchell 4 speed" - or something like that. If you're going to hang a der off the back of a 3x1 for tension anyway - you may as well shift with that and get rid of the extra clutter up front. I much prefer the shifting action of a rear der than front too.

Only drawback is that the 3x1 may give a wider range than 1x3.

jag

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and while you're hanging a rear derailler on there, might as well put 9 gears on the cassette...

Careful out there kiddies, it's a slippery slope!

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I know of a MTB'er here that works as a courier during the week. His weapon of choice is a fully rigid 3-speed. (his courier bike - he has a hardtail that he uses for the majority of his racing) He did a 6hr on it a while back on an incredibly rough course. All he had was a tubeless wheelset, and he was blowing off 6" travel duallies like nothing.

Cheers, Dave.

highly visible

I've done that

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq

I did this once, using Keith Bontrager's method of using a short piece of shift cable and a barrel adjuster to adjust chainline ... but I did as 3x2, using the barrel adjuster to switch between the 20t and 26t rear cog. I used it on a winter overnight trip pulling a BOB trailer. Worked just fine.

BUT afterwards I concluded that I could get more versatility by running 4-5 cogs in back with a single ring no derailer in front. Problem with the 3x1 is you still end up with 2 deraillers, so the only parts you've managed to get rid of vs. a fully geared bike is the rear shifter/cable and some of the cogs. With 1x4/1x5 you get rid of a couple cogs, plus 2 chainrings and a front derailer, cable and shifter.