Thread: 3 x 1 ???

mtbr member

3 x 1 ???

Ok, I've seen the posts about 1x9's on various forums including this one. I even converted my old 1x1 conversion back to 1x8 (keeping my Stylo SS cranks) to haul the kiddie trailer around the neighborhood and for occasional use by my non SS'ng spouse.

Now here's my question. Some racers I know go from geared bikes to 1x1's on mudfest races 'cause of the whole fouled cables/chainsuck on rear der's issue. I was thinking why not go with just a front der setup 3x1 with say 3 middle rings (36,34,32 for example) and a chain tensioner. My reasoning being front ders have a stronger spring and tend to tolerate fouled cables better than rear ders. Plus you wouldn't have as much chain slack w/the smaller change in gear combo's from granny to big ring and should have lesser chainsuck issues.

Am I wacky or has anybody run this setup before in nasty conditions? Looked at the parts bin last night and went hmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

tension??

Quote Originally Posted by texacajun
    Ok, I've seen the posts about 1x9's on various forums including this one. I even converted my old 1x1 conversion back to 1x8 (keeping my Stylo SS cranks) to haul the kiddie trailer around the neighborhood and for occasional use by my non SS'ng spouse.

Now here's my question. Some racers I know go from geared bikes to 1x1's on mudfest races 'cause of the whole fouled cables/chainsuck on rear der's issue. I was thinking why not go with just a front der setup 3x1 with say 3 middle rings (36,34,32 for example) and a chain tensioner. My reasoning being front ders have a stronger spring and tend to tolerate fouled cables better than rear ders. Plus you wouldn't have as much chain slack w/the smaller change in gear combo's from granny to big ring and should have lesser chainsuck issues.

Am I wacky or has anybody run this setup before in nasty conditions? Looked at the parts bin last night and went hmmmmmmm
    YOu would probably still need to use a rear derailer to keep tension, and to wrap up the extra chain you would need. Also the inner ring on a tripple crank has a different spacing and usually only will accept smaller granny rings, 20-24t size I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    YOu would probably still need to use a rear derailer to keep tension, and to wrap up the extra chain you would need. Also the inner ring on a tripple crank has a different spacing and usually only will accept smaller granny rings, 20-24t size I think.
    Well, you could use really long stack bolts and spacers to mount a third chainring, you'd have to use a super-long BB spindle to clear the chainstay though.