Thread: 3 piece cranks?

mtbr member

3 piece cranks?

Who makes a good STRONG 3 piece crank? What web dealers sell them at a good price?

Thanks

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

current Nashbar catalog

listed in its blowout pages is a 180mm TruVativ (I think it was) "BMX" crank with a 44t (I think it was) steel chainring for under $50. Need a splined BB to go with it. Sounds ideal for SS, I'm guessing it's standard bolt circle so you could use down to a 34t ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You can get them strait from profile racing or have your dealer order them. It took about a week for them to arrive. Go to profileracing.com

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    You can get them strait from profile racing or have your dealer order them. It took about a week for them to arrive. Go to profileracing.com
    agreed. they aren't really cheap once you add in a spider, ring, etc. but they are bombproof! there are a lot of Profile knockoffs too that are much less loot. DMR makes a nice mtb 3 pc crank as well.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Cyclist

danscomp.com

Poverty cranks are rumored to be made by profile. Good stuff and several riders I hang with use them. I have profile 3 pc and love them.

stay off ISIS. ISIS is evil. Very bad.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Manual4ever
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    ISIS bad? why?

I'm currently looking at RaceFace DH series, and Truvativ Hussefelt...

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Poverty cranks are rumored to be made by profile. Good stuff and several riders I hang with use them. I have profile 3 pc and love them.

Poverty is Taiwan made house brand of Dan's Comp - not a bad thing, but not Profile made which are all made in Florida, USA.

Please expand on your philosophy of ISIS.

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Maybe try these:

http://rncmfg.com/cranks.html

I think these might be my next set. Ti spindle, alu arms, ti pedal threads, and a lifetime warranty. They are relatively cheap, too.

Creepy tooth fairy
    [SIZE=4]The FSA X-drives are pretty all inclusive and a good price too.[/SIZE]

http://unrealcycles.com/items/fsa-xdrivecranks.htm

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Poverty is Taiwan made house brand of Dan's Comp - not a bad thing, but not Profile made which are all made in Florida, USA.

Please expand on your philosophy of ISIS.
    It's pretty well known that ISIS has bearing issues. Run a few searches on this board. The bearings have a long history of failure under hard or aggressive use, especially with the beer gifted clydesdales. Hence the new FSA desgin...

If your a big person or hard on equipment, then ISIS is not for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    It's pretty well known that ISIS has bearing issues. Run a few searches on this board. The bearings have a long history of failure under hard or aggressive use, especially with the beer gifted clydesdales. Hence the new FSA desgin...

If your a big person or hard on equipment, then ISIS is not for you.
    Interesting. I have seem many complaints about ISIS but have never experienced any problems myself on either road of off-road bikes - but them, I'm hardly abussive and am not close to being a clydesdaly, although I'm 6'3". FSA is making a new ISIS bb that, instead of using press on cartridge bearings which are really tiny, uses an integrated bearing system. Basically the axle has a race machined into it and the outer shell has the outer race machined into it and then the whole thing is like one big bearing. They'll be making it with single or double rows of bearings - which I think you referred to.

The new ISIS overdrive could be a good option, but that requires a frame built around that size bb. Another option coming down the pike are the new cranks with integrated bearings a la the XTR/Dura Ace. FSA and Truvativ will be offering external bearings integrated into the cranks in the very near future. FSA will also make an ISIS bb that has external bearings that will be compatible with most existing ISIS cranks.