mtbr member
    Feb 2008

29er SS: Stronger wheels needed?

I am getting ready to start building a nice 29er SS, and I am not sure about the wheels.

I want light wheels, but I am worried about the potential flex when standing and mashing on the climbs with a SS bike.

I currently have a Jet9 with I9/355 wheels, and they have held up pretty good (except on crashes). However, I do sometimes feel some flex in the rear when standing, but I am not sure if it is the frame or the wheels. I can also cause enough flex on the front to get some rub om my Reba with RR 2.4. I weigh 150lbs.

I plan to try the SS fully rigid first.

Should I get stronger wheels on a SS bike? (Arches? Flows?)

Are I9 aluminium spokes suppose to be stiffer laterally than regular spokes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am running I9s and they are the stiffest wheels I have ever owned. The're holding up great too. I imagine you could get similar result from CrossMax but they do have lower spoke count. At 6'5" 240lbs. I am phat and happy.

Catholic MTBR
    Mar 2005
    I run Flows as they are both strong as heck and still somewhat light. Add to the fact that they are a wider rim and are thus more friendly to big, low pressure tires, and its a winner in my book.
    Main Ride: Vassago Jabberwocky w/ODIS rigid fork. Rigid, SS, 29er.
    "Be not afraid." -Pope John Paul II

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Im wanting to buy I9 with flows. Not sure if I should by the SS wheel set or just convert the geared wheel set to SS. With I9 being so expensive should I just covert the gear wheel set over to SS? Negatives vs pros?

Catholic MTBR
    Mar 2005
    If you have any doubt about sticking with SS, definitely run the normal freehub with spacers. Otherwise, if you're concerned about price, you can get an extremely capable Hope Pro II or White Industries rear hub for a lot less.
    Main Ride: Vassago Jabberwocky w/ODIS rigid fork. Rigid, SS, 29er.
    "Be not afraid." -Pope John Paul II

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd stay away from 355s on a rigid ss. You could get away with arches, but I went with flows and haven't looked back on my rigid ss 29er. I'm around 195 lbs, and run flows/comps/king ss hub. I actually have the exact same wheelset built on a geared king hub that I use on my racing bike. The flows have been bombproof so far, and I'd rather deal with a slight weight penalty than bending rims and/or truing them all the time. On a rigid ss the wheels don't have the suspension forgiveness that they do on your JET, which probably means you'll want a tougher rim especially if you already have issues with the 355s. Personally I'm a bigger fan of king hubs than I9s, but won't get into that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flafonta
    Are I9 aluminium spokes suppose to be stiffer laterally than regular spokes?

Thanks!
    Spokes don't flex laterally in a wheel. Wheel lateral stiffness is affected by the tension, wheelbuild, strength of rim, tire pressure, qualities of tire including tread height.

Spokes just provide tension.

Life is Go0d!
    I like WTB laser disc trail wheels.. are they light? not really. Are they durable for my 225 lb. weight? Yes. . In fact I have run the same set for 3 plus years... even after I forgot to secure my bike on my rack, and it fell off at 60 mph. Taco'd the wheel in two places, and two different directions. I still ride that same wheel, I fixed it myself. Now its within 1/32 true. But what do I know, some peoples wheels cost more than my whole Monocog Flight.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.