mtbr member
    May 2008

29er SS looking to convert an old 26" to SS

Riding a 29er rigid ss. Have a trashed shoulder, and I wanted to have an option on days when it is painful. Have a super 26" softtail and I thought it would be cool to keep the suspension fork on that bike and ride it on bad days. Only thing is, I love to climb, and of course, out of the saddle climbing is easy on the 29er, and 90% of my riding has steep long and short climbs. Will I give up a lot riding a 26", is there anything else that will change? Always exciting having a new bike project--especially reviving an old bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Having bikes with different strengths and/or setups is fun IMO. I'd say go for it. There was a time when I hated squish and only rode rigid. My old stable had a few rides with minimal difference other than frame material, overall weight, and slightly different parts. At the end of the day all the geo was the same and honestly I found it boring to have bikes with little difference.

So yes, go for it and have fun. Would you rather give up a days riding due to being trashed, or compromise and still ride knowing the efficiency you lost today is in your garage waiting for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the input! Kind of like "what is old is new again." Looking forward to the squish fork and v-brakes (when it's dry). And I didn't even consider the thought that it can possibly help me do more riding if I can by reducing some of the shock.

mtbr member
    I very much agree. Some might argue that it's best to stay consistent with one bike setup, as that familiarity will give you more awareness of how your bike will respond, resulting in a quicker reaction time and allowing you to focus more on your own personal performance.

Screw that.

I like a little variety. I like to change things up. I like options. some days I like rigid, some days I like squish. Some days I like gears, and some days I ride SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you are converting a rear suspended bike to SS you are going to have to use a spring loaded tensioner in order to compensate for the pivot point on some designs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, I have been reading about that here a little. Decided to give the Shimano tensioner a try. Looks like I can switch that bike out quickly by using the same sram chain for gear and SS applications. Looking forward to it, although my 13-year-old has gotten really excited about the ss thing.

The need for singlespeed
    If you have a real softtail, i.e. pivotless short-travel suspension, then you might be ok without a sprung tensioner; and climbing wouldn' t be any more sapping than running fat tires on your hardtail...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes--it is a pivotless set up. It is so easy to stand and climb on the 29er. I used to just sit and spin on the 26, so it will be interesting to see if I can keep from spinning out while standing more.

The need for singlespeed
    Khs?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, it's a 2002 or so. It is all steel--before they went to the aluminum front triangle bonded to steel stays.

The need for singlespeed
    Nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rolondo View Post
    I very much agree. Some might argue that it's best to stay consistent with one bike setup, as that familiarity will give you more awareness of how your bike will respond, resulting in a quicker reaction time and allowing you to focus more on your own personal performance.

Screw that.

I like a little variety. I like to change things up. I like options. some days I like rigid, some days I like squish. Some days I like gears, and some days I ride SS.
    Well said, variety is the way to go..

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Yes, it's a 2002 or so. It is all steel--before they went to the aluminum front triangle bonded to steel stays.
    KHS Softail as a single speed? Silly idea, won't work, never take off, load of rubbish! Oh.... hang on, I've done that!

29er SS looking to convert an old 26" to SS-20112012.jpg

I'm using a White Industries eccentric hub with the associated doohickey for caliper positioning. All good, no issues with the chain being thrown on bumps so don't fret about a double sprung tensioner. I originally had a DMR Tension Seeker prior to going with the eccentric hub.

It's actually, one of favourite bikes to ride, I think the softail idea is well suited to singlespeed, especially if your trails are a little too rough to ride rigid. I also have a full rigid 26" and 29" which are bags of fun, but this weapon is my go-to bike. 33-17, so a wee bit under 2:1.

Grumps

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Your post took me wrong at first--very nice! Man! That is a killer bike! I think mine may be a comp ST as it doesn't have the disc mounts. I use the avid Ti V-brakes that work super. I'll probably just stick with my Solo-One SE for muddy stuff anyway. If I run across a another ST frame for sale, especially the one with the aluminum front triangle I plan to pick it up. I think these bikes are magic. Invisible suspension that just makes the hits disappear. Thanks for sharing!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Hey thanks for inspiring me to share it!

Originally I had the tensioner but wanted to ditch that so went hunting for a magic gear combo. I can't vouch for your chainstays being the same length as mine, but that combo was 33:17 until the chain wore a bit then it went slack. That's when I popped for the eccentric hub.

I'm also running a 80mm Bomber up front, so the riding position is a low XC oriented one. Wide Salsa flat bars and 180mm cranks, for the record.

Actually, my wife had one before me, and after seeing hers I was sold on the idea. If it was legal to eBay one of my kids, I'd grab a Moots YBB.

Grumps

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, a moots YBB would be the ultimate. Even the 29er version. Running the 105mm MX pro on the ST now. I am a little short for the medium frame, so the longer fork works pretty well with the 100mm stem.

CKS
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    and FWIW, the shorter chain stays/wheelbase of a 26" should help it climb better than a 29". At least that's what I've observed in my size frame: M/18"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That will be interesting to experience. I always felt technical climbing was a a definite plus for the 29er wheels.