mtbr member
    May 2009

29er Single Speed Wheelset Suggestions

So, I just bought a new Kona Unit frame, and I want to start the build with a nice set of wheels. I've been looking at the WTB Laserdisc wheels, but it's been a feat to find an affordable price. Any suggestions on a quality, 29er single speed wheelset at a decent price? What are you guys running? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Chris King ISO - SS out back; 9mm ISO thru axle up front; Stan's Flows for Rims, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 F & R for Rubber
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

Dinner for wolves
    Hope Pro II + Velocity P35 up front, White Industries ENO + Trials freewheel + Rhyno Lite out back. Cost me just under $400 with alu nipples and double butted spokes, thanks to Ebay. So far it is a nice balance of strength, utility, and decent weight.
    Responds to gravity

meatier showers
    Dunno if there're any left, but Chainlove.com had Shimano WH-MT75 wheelsets for $299. I got a set... the rims weren't 26mm wide as advertised... (more like 23mm) and they're not SS-specific but the price couldn't be beat. I just run spacers on the 9-spd freehub body. They're workin' fine. If you keep an eye open they might come back up.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, keep an eye on Chainlove for deals. I picked up a set of American Classics for $350. Once in a while they have the SS version as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Recently put American Classic's on my 29 ss. Love em. The engagement is not as good as Hope hubs, but they roll great which is more important to me on a XC single speed and they are very light for how durable they are.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Dunno if there're any left, but Chainlove.com had Shimano WH-MT75 wheelsets for $299. I got a set... the rims weren't 26mm wide as advertised... (more like 23mm) and they're not SS-specific but the price couldn't be beat. I just run spacers on the 9-spd freehub body. They're workin' fine. If you keep an eye open they might come back up.

--sParty
    Competitive Cyclist had them for that price too. They've been working great for me, even SS and with some fat rubber on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UT Badger
    Recently put American Classic's on my 29 ss. Love em. The engagement is not as good as Hope hubs, but they roll great which is more important to me on a XC single speed and they are very light for how durable they are.
    +1! At 1600g for the SS set, and a decent price, I would go with these for sure.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood