mtbr member
    Jun 2006

29er rear wheel recommendation

I'm looking for a 29er SS rear wheel with rim brake. Does anything like this exist or would it have to be custom? Any recommendations on this wheel in the sub $200 range? I would consider a wheelset as well. Thanks.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Wheelset.aspx

Pretty sure after a quick google these rims are v-brake compatible but prob best to double check with Jenson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I thought 8/9 speed rim is dished for the casette while a singlespeed rim is not?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Yeah it is but you can still whack an SS cog and some spacers on there and it will work fine. A lot of people do that, gives you options later on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't have a 29er, but I do run my 26er hardtail with regular rims. Although I anticipate to always keep the bike a single speed, I really think I'll get regular rims when I upgrade soon, simply so I can keep the bike versatile and revert back to geared if I ever wanted to. But I'm pretty sure I won't ever do that. I just like "knowing" I have choices.

mtbr member
    yeah, the dish is not a compatibility issue, just a possible advantage if you do have an ss hubs. A SS wheel with zero dish is theoretically stronger, but its not like geared wheels are all flexy or weak

Also, custom doesn't have to be expensive unless you choose expensive parts. The wheelbuilder page at Universal Cycles is a good place to start, but any builder should be able to do something similar. I just did a test wheel on that page and the total for either a Surly freewheel hub or an XT cassette hub with good butted spokes and a Sun RhynoLite rim was less than $170 (not including shipping). That would be a very good, sturdy wheel

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I replaced the wheelset off of my nashbar 9er. I could part with them. If u want the specs just go on to their website. They're bolt on btw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My frame has horizontal dropouts and the hub I have now bolts on. 8/9 speed hubs that I've seen have a thru axle, how would this work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing9689
    My frame has horizontal dropouts and the hub I have now bolts on. 8/9 speed hubs that I've seen have a thru axle, how would this work?
    Those probably aren't "thru axles" but a quick release skewer setup. The narrow diameter skewer slides through the center and clamps against either side of the dropout to hold it in place. The QR skewers cannot hold as tightly as a bolt-on hub. However...

Shimano hubs such as the M475, M525, XT M756 (except the newest XT M775 redesign i think) can easily be converted to a solid bolt-on axle like your current wheel. The new axle is really cheap and it should be a quick swap for you or a shop to do.

Also, a QR hub can work just fine with horizontal dropouts if you have both a good skewer and a drive-side chain tug. This is what I have and it has been working very well. I use a Halo hex skewer, but Shimano skewers are also a very good option