HTFU!

29er Frames: Single Speed & Gear Compatible

I am looking for a frame that can be run SS or geared. I am fortunate enough to share a similar inseam with my wife and want to build her a 29er that I can use as a single speed (on occasion) and she can use geared (if I cannot convince her to go SS) I pretty much have everything but the frame. I currently am riding a Misfit Dissent, so I am considering another one of those,though I don't like that I would need to stick on cable guides or use zip-ties. The other frames I have come across are the Soul Cycles Dillinger and the Niner Sir 9. Can you chime in with other frames to consider that can be both SS and geared?
    I no longer deserve a signature.

openwound
    Singular swift.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Swift. Comes with derailleur hanger, ebb and cable guides.

Plus it's a sweet ride and a lovely looking frame.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Kona Unit.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post
    Another vote for the Swift. Comes with derailleur hanger, ebb and cable guides.

Plus it's a sweet ride and a lovely looking frame.
    Let's make it 3.

I have a KM and a Swift. I always have a hard time determining which one gets to be the singlespeed.
    The EBB on the Swift is so good it's a shame not to utilize it, but the one time of year I want gears, frozen cable season, it also has cable guides to run full length cable housing which the KM does not.

HTFU!
    Thanks, just checked out the Swift, and unfortunately, it looks like the stand-over height is just a tad to much at 796.5 (31.4 inches). I would say 762-765 max (30-30.5"). Maybe I should have mentioned we share a ~30" inseam.
    I will research the Kona as the SO on the 16" works. (looking for a 16-17.5 inch...or ETT of up to 23.5")
    Any others?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    Thanks, just checked out the Swift, and unfortunately, it looks like the stand-over height is just a tad to much at 796.5 (31.4 inches). I would say 762-765 max (30-30.5"). Maybe I should have mentioned we share a ~30" inseam.
    I will research the Kona as the SO on the 16" works. (looking for a 16-17.5 inch...or ETT of up to 23.5")
    Any others?
    For what it's worth, I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. Been riding a Swift for over 2 years and my junk still works

mtbr member
    CB2 beat me to the punch! I'm 5'8" with 30" and I'm fine on my Swift too!
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Trek Sawyer, although I don't think it's available as a frame.
    Good deals on the 2011's right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A couple more usual suspects- Vassago Jabberwockey, Soma... I personally recently acquired a Voodoo Soukri.

In general, IMO I'd say ignore the standover measurement, and size by ett, front center, and reach/stack.

Sent using Tapatalk

openwound
    I've got a swift which is why it was my first recommendation. I forgot about the Soma Juice. It's got a bit of a drop in the top tube and may give you the extra grundle space you're looking for.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    KM or El Mar
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Also forgot to mention On-One...

Sent using Tapatalk

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. Been riding a Swift for over 2 years and my junk still works
    CB2 beat me to the punch! I'm 5'8" with 30" and I'm fine on my Swift too!
    Are you sure??? Well, no matter, I am not having any more kids...but the wife needs to ride it and feel comfortable on the bike...I will have to have her test a bike with similar stand over...anyway, for now it will stay on the list.

I agree ETT is very important, however, the S.O. must also work. I appreciate the list. It will give me plenty of research and hopefully some test rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Niner Air9 Carbon
    Niner one9 (has optional gear kit)

pain intolerant
    Love my Karate Monkey. Cheap, versatile, and a good ride.

Sweep the leg!
    Is the Salsa El Mariachi an option? As for stand over height, who stands over their bike? And if they do, it's leaning and not perpendicular to the ground. If you're going to argue about "what if I have to get off in a hurry" I'll reply "then make sure you're on perfectly level ground to get the most clearance."
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Is the Salsa El Mariachi an option? As for stand over height, who stands over their bike? And if they do, it's leaning and not perpendicular to the ground. If you're going to argue about "what if I have to get off in a hurry" I'll reply "then make sure you're on perfectly level ground to get the most clearance."
    It has happened, not fun when it does, but again, the stand over is more an issue for my wife, not for me. I was fine on a 17.5" Superfly...only dropped the boys on the top-tube once on a technical climb...landed on the frame. I will say that landing on carbon does not hurt as much as landing on fe or al (same as occasionally hitting my knee on the side of the top tube).
    Which brings me to Brent878's suggestion:
    I like the idea of getting myself a nice new lightweight racer (even though endurance is more my thing) and then setting up the Dissent for my wife. worth considering.

mtbr member
    Why isn't the El Mar an option? You can run single speed, or geared? Says right on their site? It's also a 29er. Seems that fit the bill??
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Why isn't the El Mar an option? You can run single speed, or geared? Says right on their site? It's also a 29er. Seems that fit the bill??
    The El Mariachi is certainly an option. The medium fits the bill much better than the Singular Swift. Checking out the website, I am very intrigued by the Ti, but it does not have the same dropouts as the steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a Salsa El Mar SS and a geared Soma Juice. The dropouts on the El mar are way better and it's stiffer. That being said, the Soma is a smoother ride.

HTFU!
    O.k., in case anyone else is looking, here is a list of what has come up thus far (29er run geared or SS):

Soul Cycles Dillinger...al
    Misfit Dissent...al
    Niner Sir 9...fe
    Niner Air Nine...C
    Singlular Swift...fe
    Kona Unit...fe
    Surly Karate Monkey...fe
    Salsa El Mariachi...fe
    Soma Juice...fe
    Soma Singular...fe
    Vassago Chupacabra...al
    Vassago Optimus...Ti
    Siren Twinzer...fe (custom?)
    Siren John Henry...fe (custom)?

Sliders or EBB is fine with me, however for my personal search, I am not going with track ends and nut tuggers (or whatever they are called), so that will eliminate a couple from consideration.

singletrack bound

El Mar

both ways
    SS
    1 X 10

Oh.....and the drop outs work great! Flip your skewer and your rear wheel drops out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er Frames: Single Speed & Gear Compatible-cell-phone-pics-024.jpg  

29er Frames: Single Speed & Gear Compatible-fort-v.jpg  

mtbr member

You forgot the Voodoo Soukri

Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post
    A couple more usual suspects- Vassago Jabberwockey, Soma... I personally recently acquired a Voodoo Soukri.

In general, IMO I'd say ignore the standover measurement, and size by ett, front center, and reach/stack.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    O.k., in case anyone else is looking, here is a list of what has come up thus far (29er run geared or SS):

Soul Cycles Dillinger...al
    Misfit Dissent...al
    Niner Sir 9...fe
    Niner Air Nine...C
    Singlular Swift...fe
    Kona Unit...fe
    Surly Karate Monkey...fe
    Salsa El Mariachi...fe
    Soma Juice...fe
    Soma Singular...fe
    Vassago Chupacabra...al
    Vassago Optimus...Ti
    Siren Twinzer...fe (custom?)
    Siren John Henry...fe (custom)?

Sliders or EBB is fine with me, however for my personal search, I am not going with track ends and nut tuggers (or whatever they are called), so that will eliminate a couple from consideration.
    I happen to own it and the Soma Juice. Both are really nice riding bikes but I prefer the dropouts on the Voodoo. Both have excellent standover. The Voodoo has a radically sloping tt and the Soma has a bent tt.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

Please elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    on the Soukri. Have you built it up?. If so a ride report would be appreciated.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    on the Soukri. Have you built it up?. If so a ride report would be appreciated.
    Hey edouble, I put my initial thoughts on the Soukri over in the Soukri thread... but so far I like it!