Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

29 x 2.4" rear tire

I'm looking for a fatter rear tire. Currently, I'm on a 2.2 Saguaro which I love. I'm building up a rear wheel with a Velocity P-35 rim, and would prefer a 2.4" tire for the cush.

I have not been able to find a good tire, though. I've got an Ardent up front, but I don't like it as a rear tire, because it slips too much on climbs. Same with Racing Ralphs, and Rampage (2.35). Any other suggestions for a grippy rear? I'm out in the rockies, so my trails are hardpack/loose dirt/gravel. Saguaro's have been excellent, but wish it had more girth. If not, I may just mount the Saguaro's on the P-35's.

mtbr member
    Continental Mountain King 2.4

Big Boy
    did you try flipping your ardent around?

Other than those there aren't many 2.4's
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    interesting. I find the Ardent to be a great rear tire. 2.4 was a bit slow though.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Specialized Purgatory is still available on their web page under "Outlet" in the large 29 x 2.4 Control version. I use it for a front tire with a 2.2" in the rear and it is big.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I'm looking for a fatter rear tire. Currently, I'm on a 2.2 Saguaro which I love. I'm building up a rear wheel with a Velocity P-35 rim, and would prefer a 2.4" tire for the cush.

I have not been able to find a good tire, though. I've got an Ardent up front, but I don't like it as a rear tire, because it slips too much on climbs. Same with Racing Ralphs, and Rampage (2.35). Any other suggestions for a grippy rear? I'm out in the rockies, so my trails are hardpack/loose dirt/gravel. Saguaro's have been excellent, but wish it had more girth. If not, I may just mount the Saguaro's on the P-35's.
    I use a Saguaro on the rear of my bike, and I also like it a lot. I also got a quote from Mikesee for a set of P35 wheels, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was thinking I was going to go Ardent as well. So I'm interested in your findings. Please be sure to post up your impressions of the wheel you are building, and whatever tire you decide to go with. It all sounds like what I want to hear about!

Trail Prospector
    Also really like the Sagauro as a rear, and am currently digging the Gato (2.3) as a rear on a P-35.
    It has a bit more volume, better in the wet, faster than a Rampage, and so far has been durable.
    [found that I run higher psi using P-35's than w/ Flows]
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I love the saguaro. The Ardent 2.4 rolls SLOW on the rear.

mtbr member

X-King?

I love Saguaros as well and have them on 2 bikes and wanted to try something different on my belt SS so I am using the 2.4 Conti X-Kings and really like them so far. They seem to roll about as fast as my bikes with Saguaros and have nice volume.

I DO run them with tubes I should mention so I cant attest to tubeless use and haven't run them for a real long time to attest as to speed of wear, but I havent even burned the whiskers off the center row of knobs and have quite a few miles on them so far, so wear looks like it might be good.

They are certainly my second favorite to the Saguaro having used AKA's, Fast Tracks, Bronsons, ExiWolfs, and Controls. Was thinking of trying the Rampage on another bike and the Dissents are probobly too big for any of my H\T's if they are a true 2.5.

You might like the X-Kings..
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

MTB B'dos
    Dude, if you're managing to spin a Rampage, I highly suggest you look at yourself as the culprit of this problem, seriously. Really nothing more to add since you already have two damn good tyres in the Ardent 2.4" and the Rampage, seriously, check yourself and also check your tyre pressures.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

@ Bike Whisperer - I've actually had a Purgatory in 2.2. I still have it on the front on one of the bikes. I didn't like it that much as a rear tire. I seem to have problems with tires with big blocks as it seems to slip easier on climbs.

@ Wish I Were Riding - will do. What bike are you putting the P35's on?

Thanks for all other suggestions. I will put the X-king and Gato on the list to try.

@ Lynx - I'm wondering if you've tried any of the above mentioned tires on your singlespeed. It's not THAT hard to spin any tire grinding up a steep climb on loose over hard. I've been lurking on the forums for quite a while and don't recall you having a singlespeed? Maybe I'm mistaken, though. Big difference between sit n spin having your full weight over the rear wheel vs standing on a SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @ Wish I Were Riding - will do. What bike are you putting the P35's on?
    Well I was thinking of putting the P35 front wheel on my SS, and the rear wheel on the back of my Jones...

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Continental Mountain King 2.4
    Grippy yes but they are anemic (on a Stan's Flow rim) compared to a Racing Ralph 2.4 or an Ardent.

mtbr member
    Weirwolf 2.55 maybe? First Gen WWLT 2.55's were closer to 2.35 - 2.4. Not sure about the new UST ones. Similar pattern to Saguaros but fatter.

I'll check out the Weirwolf as well. I'm liking the tread design, as I think the smaller knobs work better for me than bigger knobs.

Bad cat!
    I had a Hans Dampf 2.35 on my Kona, calipers said it was 2.4 at it's widest, and appeared to be larger than the Spec. Purgatory I had on the front. No traction complaints, bit heavy I suppose.

MTB B'dos
    All I was saying, was that you're managing to spin out some of the more aggressive patterns out there that still roll pretty decently, next step would be to the stuff that rolls like tar. I've never and probably will never ride a SS, just don't see the point of walking climbs I could make if I had various gears, or having to sit and coast on descents I could pedal on with various gears. I have however tried climbing in a fixed, hard gear and I know that with shitty technique I'd spin out, but with a consistent, even stroke I had much better chances of making the climb.

@ Lynx - I'm wondering if you've tried any of the above mentioned tires on your singlespeed. It's not THAT hard to spin any tire grinding up a steep climb on loose over hard. I've been lurking on the forums for quite a while and don't recall you having a singlespeed? Maybe I'm mistaken, though. Big difference between sit n spin having your full weight over the rear wheel vs standing on a SS.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    All I was saying, was that you're managing to spin out some of the more aggressive patterns out there that still roll pretty decently, next step would be to the stuff that rolls like tar. I've never and probably will never ride a SS, just don't see the point of walking climbs I could make if I had various gears, or having to sit and coast on descents I could pedal on with various gears. I have however tried climbing in a fixed, hard gear and I know that with shitty technique I'd spin out, but with a consistent, even stroke I had much better chances of making the climb.
    So you're saying there is no difference in traction whether you're climbing standing or sitting?
    Last edited by stremf; 12-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow, your credibility just took a nose dive. You've got virtually zero SS experience. Not only that, you don't "see the point" of SS. Why are you here? To troll? I'd give you a neg rep for this if I could.

mtbr member
    Lets not bash LyNx for stating a fact. I've run a RaRa, Crossmark, Jones XDX, Wolverine, and a Quasi Moto on my SS. I honestly lose traction more spinning on a granny gear on my geared ride (i suck at pedaling circles) than i do on my SS. Standing or mashing is all balance, traction, and leverage. Even with the short knobs on the Quasi i would rarely spin. If i do, its too steep and loose for traction on my gears anyways.

Summarize- Good gear will help the rider, but, bad gear will multiply the riders flaws. I know this too well. Don't blame a tire for your inability to use its traction.

MTB B'dos
    You do have reading comprehension issues don't you? Did you see me mention standing or sitting anywhere in my reply? NO. I mentioned bad technique and if you're too studly to man up and think that maybe for a second you have bad technique, then whatever, get yourself a monster tyre to make up for it and drag that around.

So you're saying there is no difference in traction whether you're climbing standing or sitting?
    Because I don't ride, nor never will ride an SS, I have no experience about good or bad technique because geared riders don't sometimes stand and mash over hills in stupid hard gears for whatever reason No trolling, I browse new posts and saw this guy spinning out what I consider to be some damn aggressive tyres and was interested, but you go ahead and do what you feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Wow, your credibility just took a nose dive. You've got virtually zero SS experience. Not only that, you don't "see the point" of SS. Why are you here? To troll? I'd give you a neg rep for this if I could.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hans Dampf Trailstar.

Before these I was running Ardent 2.4s tubeless, at sub 30 psi. When I put the HDs on there, big upgrade. They certainly don't spin as much climbing over edges, and are better on loose stuff. The non directional design is also nicer. Now I can have a really grippy rear for mashing over stuff (this is on a SS), and not get poor, slidy rear braking like what you get with a reversed Ardent.

But mostly, they rock because they're a lot more forgiving than the Ardents. They can regain traction after a little sliding much better than the Ardents. And they don't have the sketchy transition area.

Another bonus for me is that they're quieter on pavement. And since they're triple compound, I think the middle is a little harder than the Ardents, but the edges softer. The third compound is under the surface as a base layer.

I really recommend them. I thought the fat Ardents were the ****, but these are another level. They're expensive and might wear a bit quicker, but the ride is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You do have reading comprehension issues don't you? Did you see me mention standing or sitting anywhere in my reply? NO.
    You do know that virtually ALL singlespeeders stand when climbing, right? In this SS forum, that's just assumed. You will obviously agree standing means less traction. Spinning the rear is not that hard to do, unlike what you ASSUMED and blamed it all on bad technique. Did you think for a second maybe the guy's a seasoned vet with no issues with his/her form?

Again, you don't ride SS, so you have no grounds to be dishing out advise.

Because I don't ride, nor never will ride an SS, I have no experience about good or bad technique...
    Please do yourself a favor and stop your bs. I don't go into the DH forum and give out advise, because I have almost no experience in that dicipline. Your experiences with sit and spin in granny gear doesn't apply here. Is that hard to comprehend??

Always Learning

Nobby Nic 2.35.

Thanks. I'll also put Hans Damf and Nobby Nic on the list. Might have to start a fundraiser to test all these out!

Lynx - Sounds like you need to go for a relaxing ride and work off that stress!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast