Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 29" to 26"

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663

    29" to 26"

    Hi,
    As I posted before I'm thinking of replacing my GF Rig with a nice steel frame.
    I have recieved an offer from a local bike shop to trade in my GF for a nice steel frame & parts (frame is Reynolds 853, new frame hand built by a Taiwan frame builder).
    The only thing that is still holding me back is the fact the the new frame is a 26"er.
    I think the 29" concept really fits single speed riding - it's all about maintaining momentum, and the big wheels are faster & make the technical stuff easier.
    Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks
    PM

  2. #2
    Full of hot air
    Reputation: Zepinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    Well I was thinking of trading in my SPD's & fitting some cages with toe straps. Then get rid of my nice comfy Fizik seat & fit a Brooks rivetted saddle with matching grips. Ditch the sus fork for a rigid---

    Oh crap sorry retro boys & girls

    Does not sound like a great idea to me, but I'm just getting into the whole 29er thing. It looks like a step backwards instead of forwards. What you have said about momentum, rolling over obstacles etc would be enough to sway me towards the 29er over the 26er.

    There will probably be some great deals in the near future. So if you can wait a while there's sure to be a steel 29er frame coming your way soon.
    Tastes like carbon

  3. #3
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepinator
    Well I was thinking of trading in my SPD's & fitting some cages with toe straps. Then get rid of my nice comfy Fizik seat & fit a Brooks rivetted saddle with matching grips. Ditch the sus fork for a rigid---

    Oh crap sorry retro boys & girls
    No offense taken because you hit the nail on the head. Regardless of what works for others, if you feel that 29er wheels and all things that goes along with a 29er fits your riding style and trails then you've answered your own question... avoid the 26" bike.

    I would.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  4. #4
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    I don't know about you, but I'd never even consider a SS 26'er again. Probably a 26'er period.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,279
    I am with these guys. 29er and SS play so well together. You can find great deals on used steel 29er frames these days because no one is buying. I think you will be happier on the big wheels in the long run, but of course YMMV.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    For the last year i have been riding a 26 ss, some friends talked me out of the 29 and since i just got back into mountain biking i took their advice, not sure who is dumber? Me or them?

    I made the leap to the 29er and swore i would keep my 26 ss for times when i would rather ride the 26. My 29 is rigid and my 26 had a reba on it. One ride on the 29er and my 26 is for sale.

    On rolling hills the 29er is hands down better because it just seems to roll faster.
    On steep downhills the 29 seems to NOT run out of gear as fast as the 26
    It rolls over obstacles better than the 26
    I have not ridden any super tech stuff yet but the 29 seems to be pretty nimble compared to the 26.

    Everyone suggest that wheels make a big difference and i completly agree.

    My 26 had mavic's with king hubs and the 29 has american classic rims and hubs......still no comparison to me, 29 is the only way to go for me.

    If you look hard enough someone will say the exact same opposite of what i said so take what everyone says with a grain of salt and find out for yourself



    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    Hi,
    As I posted before I'm thinking of replacing my GF Rig with a nice steel frame.
    I have recieved an offer from a local bike shop to trade in my GF for a nice steel frame & parts (frame is Reynolds 853, new frame hand built by a Taiwan frame builder).
    The only thing that is still holding me back is the fact the the new frame is a 26"er.
    I think the 29" concept really fits single speed riding - it's all about maintaining momentum, and the big wheels are faster & make the technical stuff easier.
    Would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks
    PM

  7. #7
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    ...I think the 29" concept really fits single speed riding - it's all about maintaining momentum, and the big wheels are faster & make the technical stuff easier...
    You got it.............stay 29er. I am....and sounds like you like 29er too.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450

    If you look hard enough someone will say the exact same opposite of what i said so take what everyone says with a grain of salt and find out for yourself

    Well, I was looking hard but seems like most single speeders who have tried 29er's don't look back. Just thought I may be missing out on something . But hey, keep it going, still got a few riding buddies who haven't converted yet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    Well, I was looking hard but seems like most single speeders who have tried 29er's don't look back. Just thought I may be missing out on something . But hey, keep it going, still got a few riding buddies who haven't converted yet.

    oh yeah, i started the ss trip on a XXIX(29) and didnt like it, now i'm on a S.A.S.S.(26) and have way more control, i have even gone to fixed. the bike is unreal and i love it, but one day i'll go for another round on the 29. get the 29, it's what you want and it seems like you just want permission. go for it!
    no chain no gain.

  10. #10
    Happy in Happy Valley
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681
    I tried a 29er. My mind was not blown. I didn't hear the angels sing. I didn't grow wings and float effortlessly above the trail. It rode like a bike. I'm happy on my 26er SS.

    That said, it sounds like the 29er works for you. If you like the rig, what is your motivation for replacing it? Do you want that 853 sticker on the seat tube?

    It's a bike. Ride it and be happy.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    I tried a 29er. My mind was not blown. I didn't hear the angels sing. I didn't grow wings and float effortlessly above the trail. It rode like a bike. I'm happy on my 26er SS.

    That said, it sounds like the 29er works for you. If you like the rig, what is your motivation for replacing it? Do you want that 853 sticker on the seat tube?

    It's a bike. Ride it and be happy.
    First, the Rig as a little hard on my old bones. Steel frames I have tried lately were easier on the body. Another thing is the EBB is driving me crazy. Every couple of months I have to tighten it, which of course causes it to move a little. Next thing you know my knees start aching and I got to fix my saddle position all over again. Guess I'm really sensitive to getting on the exact position. I do like the Rig, but since single speed has become my main ride I preffer something nicer.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jzimmerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    63
    I would stick with the 29er. Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a steel 29er. I picked up my Soma Juice 29er on sale for $250 and love it. Hold out PMan, be patient, your bike will come. You will never be happy on that 26"... if you are already second guessing yourself.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    ...hard on my old bones. Steel frames I have tried lately were easier on the body. Another thing is the EBB is driving me crazy... Next thing you know my knees start aching... I do like the Rig, but since single speed has become my main ride I preffer something nicer.
    so here we have the REAL issue, you will NOT notice that a 26er is easier on the body. You are a great candidate for a steel 29er with a suspenion fork. jabber???

    love,
    10speed.
    no chain no gain.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    342
    [QUOTE=Zepinator]Well I was thinking of trading in my SPD's & fitting some cages with toe straps. Then get rid of my nice comfy Fizik seat & fit a Brooks rivetted saddle with matching grips. Ditch the sus fork for a rigid---

    You almost have it figured out, however I think maybe plain flats would suit you better.

    Cheers'
    P.T.

  15. #15
    default title
    Reputation: j e SS e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    279
    Dude.

    C'mon.
    _______________
    ____________
    _________
    ______
    ___
    _

  16. #16
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    ..... get the 29, it's what you want and it seems like you just want permission. go for it!
    Yes, wait for the right 29er and watch your ebb adjustment until then. I just sold my 26"!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •