mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Is a 27.2 CF seatpost safe?

Got my Carve Pro SS rode it a lot all last year and LOVE IT. Singlespeed life has finally caught up to the rest of my friends so its time to start building mine up more. Bought from LBS cool guys and they built with pretty good stuff I say. I'm looking to drop weight and make this thing serious torture now.

I have:
    Niner carbon bars
    Fox 100mm fork
    American classic terrain wheels tubeless
    Captain tires (2.2f / 2.0r)
    SLX brakes
    32/19 gears going 18 when I get back to strength
    WTV Pure V seat on basic seat post

Ordering this weeks:
    Niner Carbon fork (pumped for this weight drop an ride)
    Better ergonomic grips for the 20+ Mile days we jam in woods
    More race type seat than big cushion one love it but I want a specialized phenom expert as my Epic has. I'm standing most time anyway!
    More light and faster tires, my captains are a bit aggressive I am thinking more back to my s-works tires or similar lower tread

Also seat post. Ill order a carbon Niner one but keep hearing some horror stories of 27.2 being to small and a risk. If they make it why would it be than! I'm 5'8" 165 lbs when back to weight and a very smooth rider. Live in a rooty and small bit of rock area and on my SS again I'm barely sitting besides main trails or climbs. Can I rest at ease and just get myself the post and be done? Bikes at 22lbs right now without my crank bro 3 eggbeaters. So ditching this massive fork, seat post, heavy seat, and going lighter less roll resistant tires I think ill be sitting damn pretty under 20 lbs! Tha is for reading my novel sorry I'm excited. Thanks for input mainly on seatpost ill be sure to show before and after rig and weights

mtbr member
    Ericksen ti sweet post > everything else.
    It's light, blingy, and the ride quality is awesome. Definitely look at the ericksen.

The ericksen ti post and slr saddle saved me nearly 1/2 pound from the thomson post and wtb saddle it replaced.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Yes, carbon should be fine, especially at your weight.

One thing, if you're going rigid, don't go too small or light on the front tire!

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Re: Is a 27.2 CF seatpost safe?

I've got 50 pounds on you and have been rocking a 27.2 niner carbon for a while.

I've had zero issues strength and would buy it again without hesitation.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Is a 27.2 CF seatpost safe?

There is a video on pinkbike at the Santa Cruz factory and they snap an alu frame and then do the same with a carbon frame. The carbon one takes around twice the force to break it.

If the width was really an issue, 9er wouldn't sell them due to the liability.

It'll be fine.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for replys ill look into Titanium goodies too thanks for information.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    There is a video on pinkbike at the Santa Cruz factory and they snap an alu frame and then do the same with a carbon frame. The carbon one takes around twice the force to break it.

It'll be fine.
    that is so apples and oranges. a carbon seatpost that has a round cross section is totally different than frame tubes

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just make sure you put a seat on it before you ride and it will be safe.

mtbr member
    I have had several bikes with 27.2 posts and I've never broken one, and I don't personally know anyone who has broken a post regardless of size or material. As long as you've got it inserted past the minimum mark and you're not jumping from bigger drops at full saddle height I don't think it will ever be an issue.

mtbr member
    I have a 27.2 / 400 Easton carbon Haven, it is an "all mountain" spec. carbon post (not a weight weenie design, although still light weight) on my Luditte....and love it. I weigh around 215lbs. And have had no issues or worries. It has a lot of flex and seems very well made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Went ahead and ordered up a white niner carbon fork today and a niner carbon seat post. Pretty damn excited to try it out.

Gigantic Hawk
    I have a carbon Truvativ post, and have had no issues after one season. I have a carbon Niner fork, and you'll want a big tire up front for cush.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I have a carbon Truvativ post, and have had no issues after one season. I have a carbon Niner fork, and you'll want a big tire up front for cush.
    What size are we saying is big. 2.2? Or go bigger

Gigantic Hawk
    2.2 may be big enough if your trails are mostly flow, but I ride bigger here in New England. Current setup is a 2.35 on a Velocity Blunt. I have a set of Velocity P35's in the works too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    2.2 may be big enough if your trails are mostly flow, but I ride bigger here in New England. Current setup is a 2.35 on a Velocity Blunt. I have a set of Velocity P35's in the works too.
    Cool I planned going to a newer faster tire. Ill have to see what I can get that's a little fatter. Can't see it being to much added roll resistance. Ill deff be sticking to 2.0 or so for my rear.

I go tubeless and am still dropping air slowly to find a pressure I like best. Down to 30 now and going to go ride that see how it goes

Gigantic Hawk
    I run my tubeless setup between 20 - 25 psi depending on conditions.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post

It'll be fine.
    I'm not sure what that video is supposed to prove anyway, that their own manufactured alu frames sucks ass?? It doens't prove jack chit to be honest.

carbon is about as strong as good weldable 7000 series alu, and thats it pretty much. Carbon is prone to lots of manufacturing defects, its no wonder material at all. you can blow bubbles out of alu since the melting temp is very low, but with ti and steel this takes significantly higher temps (double the temp=quadruople the energy wasted) and because the bike industry as a whiole are cheapasses we are very unlikely to see exotic stuff like this with sufficient quality metals such as steel and titanium. The real and only strenght of carbon is the ability to make non round profiles and use a variable thickness whereever you want.

i just love these "is my frame cracked threads" lol, carbon has like ZERO resale value, for a good reason, because we all know deep down its just a piece of shitty brittle plastic.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Gigantic Hawk
    Dear car bone,
    Shut up.
    Sincerely,
    Dubthang

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not sure if this applies, but has anyone mentioned using carbon assembly paste for the carbon post installation?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

~ B A D A S S ~
    ever notice how carbon seatposts are not really that much lighter than alu ones?? Yeah you guessed it, because its infact just as strong. ta-da, end of magic show...
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    ever notice how carbon seatposts are not really that much lighter than alu ones?? Yeah you guessed it, because its infact just as strong. ta-da, end of magic show...
    I don't remember ever buying my carbon post because it was lighter. I bought it because it flexes. Last time I checked, aluminum doesn't flex. ta-da.

hispanic mechanic
    I've seen several carbon posts fail. All of them, and I mean all, were broken because of something stupid the owner or their "buddy who really knows how to work on bikes" has done. Like waaaay over-torquing the seatpost collar, or having the post too far past the minimum insertion line. Is a carbon post as durable as an aluminum one? Well, no. But I don't think that's the reason not to ride one, unless you're a hamfisted destroyer of bike parts.
    For me, I chose to spend my cash on a Ti post, because I feel like I get more flex, and I ain't getting any younger.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

AZ
    banned
    I use one and I have been accused of being big boned, I think your going to be okay.

Got A Lust for Life...

Re: Is a 27.2 CF seatpost safe?

I don't remember ever buying my carbon post because it was lighter. I bought it because it flexes. Last time I checked, aluminum doesn't flex. ta-da.
    Haha!
    I am immune to your disdain.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    For me, I chose to spend my cash on a Ti post, because I feel like I get more flex, and I ain't getting any younger.

Los
    Los - that is an interesting statement you are making. Is it true that Ti seatposts are more compliant than carbon? What about the Niner RDO, Cannondale SAVE or Syntace P6 Hiflex - those puppies are supposed to flex a fair bit.

I can't decide between carbon or Ti, but need the flex / compliance due to riding rigid SS with a bad back...