Thread: 26" ss

mk9
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

26" ss

I'm new here so please be gentle.

I've been riding 24" ss for about 8 years now and I've decided to bump up to 26".
    Most of my riding is Urban but I do like to hit the skate park with my 9 year old
    occasionally. Although my tires "rarely" leave the ground (i know, totally whimpy, but at almost 50 I break easy) I still want some stout. I will do the occasional loading ramp drop
    at the local mart.
    I want a stock bike but understand I will have to make some changes.
    full chromo (rigid) fork and frame, front and rear disk brake, sealed bearings
    I'm not sure what this stlye is called but I like the Haro Steel Reserve 1.1 but I want to make sure I'm not over looking others.
    Any suggestions?

Apr 2007
    Haro Reserve is a DJ bike. Pretty nice, and if you're just going to be hitting skate parks and dinking around town, not a bad choice.

If you want a mountain bike to take on trails, I'd look at a Redline Monocog 26. It will be more comfy for the longer rides, too. Comes with V Brakes, but hubs are disc ready, so slapping on discs should be easy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    mk9,

I bought a Haro Steel Reserve1.1 late last summer. I'm really enjoying it. I've made some changes to it, nothing drastic. I added a front disc brake, changed to a 16t cog and change the handle bars to a 3 inch rise. I'm 62 this month. Oh, the original seat and short post went to the shed and a longer post and a new take off seat from a Haro Heartland went on the 1.1. The suspended seat is a big plus. The 1.1 is now my main ride. This is a great winter ride, easy cadance, lower wind chill, and I try to ride a hour plus each day. I live in central Illinois. I'm learning to do trackstands, every stop sign gets a trackstand. My reflexes are coming back, somewhat. I hope to learn some basic trials moves. All in all, I'm very pleased with the 1.1

BobH.

When spring gets here, I change to a 14 tooth cog.

local trails rider
    If you haven't yet, take a look in

http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/

There should be a plenty of bikes in your style, there.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0