mtbr member
    Nov 2012

26" monocog rigid fork suggestions

I just picked up an older brown monocog frame without a fork. Im going rigid on this and am considering the nashbar fork w/ 45mm offset and Axle to Crown of 453mm. Would this get me close to the geo of the bike pictured below? Thats pretty much what I am going for but rigid obviously. The owner of the pictured bike remembers the fork being 125. I actually have a 125 fox too and its a2c is just about 490 w/o any sag so I think this nashbar fork should do the trick. Anything else out there I should look at? Must be steel and budget oriented.26" monocog rigid fork suggestions-img_1858-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Salsa Cromoto is a solid option if you want to go steel. For a bit more coin, I upgraded to the MRP Rock Solid carbon fork. The biggest improvement is handling and ride quality on my 96er. Very pleased with this setup.

Salsa Cromoto (425 A-C)

MRP Rock Solid (445 A-C)

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the info and pictures, one of those carbon forks may find its way onto my ride when funds allow. I ended up pulling the trigger on the nashbar fork as everything just went on sale for 21% off (orders 50+), couldn't say no at that price! I will update the thread with pics once its all put together.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Thanks for the info and pictures, one of those carbon forks may find its way onto my ride when funds allow. I ended up pulling the trigger on the nashbar fork as everything just went on sale for 21% off (orders 50+), couldn't say no at that price! I will update the thread with pics once its all put together.
    Nashbar is always a smart value choice. I have a few Nashbar branded products myself. Good luck and RIDE ON!

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Cannondale CAD3 (circa '97) 96er SS Rigid Build

mtbr member
    I had a Monocog 26" with a Surly 1x1 fork on it, which was terrific. I was even able to stuff a 29er tire in there, but the tire hit my toes frequently.
    Get off my lawn!

mtbr member
    Looks like a common AC length for older 26" monocogs would be about 425mm.
    Monocog Fork (26") Axle to crown?

I don't the extra 25mm isn't that big a deal for a 2000's bike. I'd bet it makes the bike handle better actually, slacken out the headtube angle.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"