mtbr member

240s Bolt On and Surly Tuggnut?

So I just got a Tuggnut, thinking my rear wheel would be invincible with it and a bolt on hub. Now I realize the bolts wont fit through the holes on the Tuggnut. Amiright?

metrotuned WoS
    240s has oversized bolts - they're like Chris King funbolts. You dont need a tugnut at all with those massive bolts.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    If you insist on having a Tuggnut with OS bolts, enlarging the holes is a rather quick and easy process.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    240s has oversized bolts - they're like Chris King funbolts. You dont need a tugnut at all with those massive bolts.
    But they fit in normal dropouts? Not sure I understand how that is possible. Thanks for any insight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bugshield View Post
    But they fit in normal dropouts? Not sure I understand how that is possible. Thanks for any insight.
    Go take out the skewer on your bike (without removing the rear wheel) and observe.

metrotuned WoS
    Bugshield, I don't think Phsycle understands what is at question either. Search for "Chris King Funbolts" and find links like this: Chris King Fun Bolt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The SS specific bolt on hubs use oversized bolts, -not- oversized axles, thus fit into standard track ends/dropouts. The point is to the original question: a chain tensioner isn't necessary when using hubs with large diameter bolts (knurled, too!).

Side note: The majority of SS bolt on hubs like CK, Phil Wood, Paul, White Industries, all using large washers for max surface space. When discussing Single Speed, a QR skewer is recommended only when used in a vertical dropout in combination with an eccentric bottom bracket or a Paragon Slider type.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would expect an "oversized" hub bolt (replacing a standard axle) to be bigger than the axle, not bigger than the skewer. Also, it's an adapter that reduces a Tuggnut to skewer size.

PS. Typed while illnacord was correctly answering my question.
    Last edited by bugshield; 11-28-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: PS

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Bugshield, I don't think Phsycle understands what is at question either. Search for "Chris King Funbolts" and find links like this: Chris King Fun Bolt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    A picture worth a thousand words.

I looked in the King Tech Service Manual and should have looked for a picture.

It all makes sense now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Right, thanks folks!

Anyone in the market for a shiny new Tuggnut?

mtbr member
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Even if you drill out the tugnut, you're probably going to have clearance issue with the non threaded part of the bolt. It's pretty tight without the extra couple mm's of a tugnut.