SuperSwedishSinglespeeder
    Jul 2005

24 hours of single speeding

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for a while and finally got my ass in gear to register. This is my first season of singlespeeding and I haven't touched my full-suspension since I started (I know that's what everyone says, but it's a true story I swear).

Anywho, I'm doing the 24 hours of Allamuchy on a single speed for the first time (I did it the last two years, but on my FS). www.24hoursofallamuchy.com

Anyone else going to be there? My team name is "Taint no more".

Oh, and is there anyone here from SE PA? I'm always looking for new rides and people to ride with.

SSwedan

mtbr member
    I saw/read your lonely post and thought someone better say hi.
    Good luck to you at the 24hr race. It's really brutal, but I'm sure you will do just fine.
    Sorry but I'm from the West Coast, so unless you are planning on heading over, we won't be riding together that much.
    Good luck!

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

Jul 2005

Rut

Thanks Andy,

I was beginning to feel a little lonely...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwedan
    Thanks Andy,

I was beginning to feel a little lonely...
    Don't take it personally. You'll soon find people that will seem to always throw in their two cents on any of your topics.

Soon enough you'll be an old timer like myself.

Enjoy the 24hr
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member

Allamuchy!

I will be there as well, though not sure what I will be riding yet. Like you, this is my first year of singlespeeding and I have not touched my Klein Palomino since the winter, in fact, it still has the studded tires on it! We are not registered and don't have a team name yet, but I will be there, probably on a 4 person team. Are you doing solo, or on a team? How was the race last year? We did it 2 years ago and had a blast, except for the getting in/out part!

I can't help with riding in SE PA, as I am in NY. But I did go to school in Bethlehem (Lehigh) where I first started mountain biking and remember some fun trails on the Mountain.

mtbr member
    I wish I could but can't afford the trip.

I did one 24hr last year on the solo ss class and was a great experience, I'm a very bad climber, slow and just a recreational rider and that kind of race even though is tough was apealing to me.

My recomendation will be to take it easy at the begining in order to last for the whole race. Also take with you different cog/rings so you could change them based on your and/or course conditions.

Ah, almost forgot; welcome!

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    I will be there as well, though not sure what I will be riding yet. Like you, this is my first year of singlespeeding and I have not touched my Klein Palomino since the winter, in fact, it still has the studded tires on it! We are not registered and don't have a team name yet, but I will be there, probably on a 4 person team. Are you doing solo, or on a team? How was the race last year? We did it 2 years ago and had a blast, except for the getting in/out part!

I can't help with riding in SE PA, as I am in NY. But I did go to school in Bethlehem (Lehigh) where I first started mountain biking and remember some fun trails on the Mountain.
    Last year was not as much fun as the year before when you were there. They ran the course in the opposite directions which made the climbs more technical and back to back. There ended up being a lot of hike-a-bike. Also the pouring rain on the sunrise lap (mine of course) made it much more epic. The showers were full of guys trying to warm up. Talk about a sausage fest! I also tore my derailleur off on my last lap and had to convert to semi-single speed for the last five miles. Thankfully, that can't happen again this year.

Supposedly they're spreading out the climbing this year so it should be more suited to single speed.

I was on a four man team the last couple of years (we took first and third in our age group) and this year I'll be on a 5 person coed team. (less laps for me ).

Let me know your teamname when you get one. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm standing around freezing my a$$ off waiting for my turn in the middle of the night.

Dan

former clydesdale
    Feb 2004
    Hey you won't have to worry about ripping your derailler blingy off Also if it rains and gets nasty you won't have to deal with chain suck Life is good when it's just so simple.

Good luck at the race!

Daddy of 3 now!
    ssweden,
    try posting on the New Jersey forum. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback especially riding Allamuchy.

Jul 2005

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy2
    ssweden,
    try posting on the New Jersey forum. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback especially riding Allamuchy.
    I'll do that. Thanks for the tip.

Dan

Yo

Quote Originally Posted by SSwedan
    Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for a while and finally got my ass in gear to register. This is my first season of singlespeeding and I haven't touched my full-suspension since I started (I know that's what everyone says, but it's a true story I swear).

Anywho, I'm doing the 24 hours of Allamuchy on a single speed for the first time (I did it the last two years, but on my FS). www.24hoursofallamuchy.com

Anyone else going to be there? My team name is "Taint no more".

Oh, and is there anyone here from SE PA? I'm always looking for new rides and people to ride with.

SSwedan
    Greetings from southeastish PA (Downingtown/West Chester area). I've got a single speed team that will be doing Allamuchy. So far one of our original members moved to Arizona and his replacement had a mountain biking mishap. We have a tentative/almost for sure replacement replacement. Hopefully this is just getting all of the bad luck out of the way before the race. We have not done Allamuchy before, but most of the team has done Snowshoe/Canaan - on gearies. I'm interested in your impression of the Allamuchy course. Trying to decide between 32/17 and 32/18.

If you are in the Downingtown area, you are welcome to join our regular Tuesday/Thursday night rides. We have a mail list that you can join here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dtownmtb/

Hope to see ya on the trails

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Greetings from southeastish PA (Downingtown/West Chester area). I've got a single speed team that will be doing Allamuchy. So far one of our original members moved to Arizona and his replacement had a mountain biking mishap. We have a tentative/almost for sure replacement replacement. Hopefully this is just getting all of the bad luck out of the way before the race. We have not done Allamuchy before, but most of the team has done Snowshoe/Canaan - on gearies. I'm interested in your impression of the Allamuchy course. Trying to decide between 32/17 and 32/18.

If you are in the Downingtown area, you are welcome to join our regular Tuesday/Thursday night rides. We have a mail list that you can join here: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dtownmtb/

Hope to see ya on the trails
    The Allamuchy course is fairly technical in parts. Not so many roots, but a lot of rocks. It also has a lot of technical climbing. In years past there have been new sections cut just for the race which made things interesting. I haven't ridden the course single speed before, but I'm bringing a 32/18. However, there's usually a flat section at the bottom of the course where you can really spin. With the geary, I needed the big ring on that section, so we'll see how I do this year. I would highly recommend going up on Friday and pre-riding the course.

mtbr member

12 hour race at Stewart

A little late notice, but there is a 12 hour race going on Saturday (July 23) at Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, NY. I have not been there in a few years, but it should be great place for a SS, as it is mostly flat with a few power climbs. Check out the link below.

Mark

http://www.genesisadventures.com/v2/...rnsponsors.htm

Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    A little late notice, but there is a 12 hour race going on Saturday (July 23) at Stewart State Forest in Newburgh, NY. I have not been there in a few years, but it should be great place for a SS, as it is mostly flat with a few power climbs. Check out the link below.

Mark

http://www.genesisadventures.com/v2/...rnsponsors.htm
    Thanks Mark,
    Looks interesting, but I'm leaving for vacation this weekend. Ah, the beach and mountain biking.....

The course you describe sounds like the kind of course that I would rather have gears for. Short steep hills can be murder on a single speed (not enough cadence) and the flats are a pain for long periods due to spinning out. My favorite SS terrain so far has been steady rollers. I had forgotten how much fun climbing a hardtail can be and the downhills are scarier than ever!

Dan