mtbr member

24"BMX + Susp. Fork = 24" SS trail bike?

What do you guys think about a 24” BMX cruiser conversion to a 24” single speed trail bike. Since you are probably wondering why, let me explain. I have a possible line on a deal on a 24” BMX cruiser for my son. He is 9, getting taller every day. His 20” BMX has worked OK on the trails, but being rigid and the small wheels can sometimes be a hindrance. This bike needs a new fork, and I have seen 24” suspension forks in some mags. So, I was thinking of just pulling the fork, putting the suspension one on, maybe some brake tweaks (luckily it is threadless already) and go. The only issues I am wondering about are seat height (don’t know how much post is there) and handlebar height.

BTW—I know Specialized has their Hotrock, but it is well over twice what I think I could do this for. Plus, the kids bikes I have seen on the trail, Trek and Specialized, did not shift well at all. Bad enough that the kids basically set it and left it.

Thoughts?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The 24" wheels alone will make a big difference for him on the trail. My concern about the sussy fork is it is probably much longer than the stock rigid fork. Could slack out the angles a lot. As for general fit - no idea.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Leave it rigid, most (don't want to say all) suspension forks for 24" bikes are non functional and insanely heavy.

Why don't you look for a used 24" geared bike? The Trek MT220, Fisher Tyro, Specialized Hot Rock, Kona Kula (there are more out there) are great kids bikes.

If going new the price tag is hefty but kids grow quickly so finding an used one shouldn't be that hard. Also some shops have trade in programs, check that out.

My kid used to ride a Diamondback Octane 24, he's now riding a 26" geared bike and the 24" found new life as a singlespeed.

Recovering couch patato
    How tall is your kid now? If you can get a small 26"er to fit, that might be the way to go. Much more choice of replacement parts, your parts bin might hold some nice things already.
    Try to skip 24", go 26" if possible now and then when he hits 5'6+ start looking for 29", by that time there will be lots of offerings. Larger wheels are safer.

mtbr member
    I'm only 5-7 and I am riding 26", of course. He will be taller than me eventually, I am guessing.

I would just leave the fork alone except that the one that is on the bike I am looking at is shot. The kid cased a jump and twisted it. I could still look for other options if this bike doesn't work out. Of course, I would also have to make sure the fork is the only issue.

I realy don't like the production geared bikes. They just seem so heavy and like you are paying a lot more for not much better than the Wal-Mart 24".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    They just seem so heavy and like you are paying a lot more for not much better than the Wal-Mart 24".
    The bike weight to rider weight ratio is absurd on kids bikes and I do agree that the lighter ones are as expensive as mid range 26" bikes.

My son's 24" bike took me to the $600 mark after all the upgrades, his new ride is even below that price.

Cloxxki brings an excellent point, if your kid is tall enough for a XS 26"mtb go ahead and skip the 24". My son started on his 24" mtb when he was 5 and at 9 (almost 10) is on a 13" 26" bike. He's ridding a 24" roadie and his 24" mtb was converted to SS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What about an extra small kona. I know they make a 13 and 14 inch frame one of the local shops has both. For 350 you can get a deore speced bike, that would be great for him.

Doug

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

go for it

buy the frame and use it rigid,
    kids are resilent, they dont need gears or squishy forks

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Try to skip 24", go 26" if possible now and then when he hits 5'6+ start looking for 29", by that time there will be lots of offerings. Larger wheels are safer.
    Exactly. The last thing you want the kid to do is learn any more bike handling skills than are absolutely necessary.