Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2013 Kona Unit

Sick raw finish! 180 degrees from the crappy 2012 Duke boys orange.....
    2013 Kona Unit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Kona Unit-unit-2-.jpg  

Last edited by El Train; 08-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks a bit wonky with the oversized head tube, but I guess that's to help accommodate suspension forks right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Is that zerostack headset really an improvement? What replacement headsets will fit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The only good reason for that headtube is so people can use forks with tapered steerer tubes that they already have. There isn't an actual need for it and all forks are still offered with 1 1/8" steerers anyway. EDIT: I'm not sure about what the actual headtube dia is.

I agree, it does look silly, and I like my 1 1/8" headtube on my 2012. And I love the orange too, but that raw is equally good looking IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just sent an email to kona asking about the headtube. Is it 1.5, or just zero stack? Can't tell from the site...

Personally, I think that it is a glaring oversight NOT to have a tapered compatible headtube on any bike these days. All their aluminum bikes have it, why not the steel?

The raw finish is so badass though....wow.

Trail Prospector
    Mmmm, me likey.
    The 70 degree H/A too is quite the change.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jave-mtr View Post
    Is that zerostack headset really an improvement? What replacement headsets will fit?
    I would imagine something like this Chris King InSet 1 GripLock Headset 2012 100061762 at CambriaBike.com would work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It will be interesting to see what El Train finds out. Since no actual measurements are given regarding head tube inner diameters, right now it's hard to tell what would fit!

one chain loop
    i really like the old school decal but the headtube killed it. the frame would be nicer in black, general lee look.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is what I got: I asked about the headtube, and about the Honzo 142x12 dropouts:

Hi Lincoln,
    The 142x12 dropouts will be available sometime in the late fall for aftermarket sales. Same setup as the ’11-’12 Unit/Big Unit. We’ll have geared and single speed options.

The Unit headtube is 44mm zero stack. You can purchase an alternative lower cup (which is external, same as the Honzo) to run a tapered fork.
    Thanks,
    Joe

This is great! Of course I just yesterday went and bought a 2012 Unit on closeout at my local shop because I am cheap and impatient....but having the tapered fork capability on the '13 frame is so awesome!!! And now that you can get the 142x12 dropouts, you could actually have a bike with modern components. These things just add to the versatility of this bike and put it ahead of other frames in the category (like the Karate Monkey). Kona Unit FTW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    44mm head tube gives you the most options.

-

Really, really like the 90's logos on the steel bikes!

-D

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I assume the Honzo will have the 142x12 rear and not the Unit? Also, any word as to whether the Unit will be sold as a frame-only option? The Kona site shows the Big Unit as frame-only and the Unit as complete. Maybe I just answered my own question.......

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    There isn't an actual need for it and all forks are still offered with 1 1/8" steerers anyway.
    Um... no. Even if you can find a nice 29er fork now with a straight steerer, good luck finding one in a few years. The world has moved on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hansel12 View Post
    I assume the Honzo will have the 142x12 rear and not the Unit? Also, any word as to whether the Unit will be sold as a frame-only option? The Kona site shows the Big Unit as frame-only and the Unit as complete. Maybe I just answered my own question.......
    yeah, the unit has standard qr axle. I just wanted to see for future possibilities. I think 142x12 will become the new standard at some point....I think you can get frame only if you want to. Just ask your dealer. Or go to Bikeman.com. they have 2012s now and will probably have 2013s soon.

mtbr member
    Pictures of Unit showing off its raw finish (it was posted on Facebook by Kona)

BBB STYLEE
    She look awesome! I actually prefer my 2012 in duke boys orange over that finish, but to each their own!

I don't see many "improvements" so to speak, rather just variations - but hell, it's a damn good bike in the first place.
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by that guy again View Post
    Um... no. Even if you can find a nice 29er fork now with a straight steerer, good luck finding one in a few years. The world has moved on.

The manufacturers and forums buzz have moved on, I'm still not convinced I *need* a tapered steerer....but that's another argument.

Hopefully this Unit will successfully answer a lot of the "I want a hardtail 29er and have $1000 to spend" threads...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    yeah, the unit has standard qr axle. I just wanted to see for future possibilities. I think 142x12 will become the new standard at some point....I think you can get frame only if you want to. Just ask your dealer. Or go to Bikeman.com. they have 2012s now and will probably have 2013s soon.
    Excellent, thanks for the info.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    I'm still not convinced I *need* a tapered steerer
    Yeah, but you might need it in the future (i.e., it's future proof) - especially considering steel's durability. Besides, 1.125" forks can be retrofitted, so there's no significant downside. I'm happy to keep riding my '11 Unit with 9mm hubs but, if buying from scratch, I'd prefer the '13 for more fork/hub options. I hoped and fully expected Kona to do this for '13.

Otherwise, I applaud the raw/paint even if I'm not sure it's "me". And I like that Kona replaced the Ignitors with Ikons - besides performance, it should sell more bikes based on parking lot test rides (Ikons are lighter, smoother, and more plush).

I'm not sure I approve of the slacker headtube angle on what is a rigid bike. One could easily make the argument that Kona is "chasing" the industry this year with 1) the raw finish, 2) oversized headtube, and 3) slacker headtube angle. Personally, I couldn't be happier with the 2011-2012 geometry.

All that aside, aesthetically I prefer the skinny tubes and traditional headset.
    ride natty ride

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Anyone know what the Unit weighs? And has anyone put a carbon fork on one?
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

Bad cat!
    Anyone know what the Unit weighs? And has anyone put a carbon fork on one?
    Think mine was 27 1/2 lbs bone stock...2011. I had some mad money and ordered a niner carbon fork and bar for it, and eventually a wheelset, and it's down around 23 1/2 now...it does feel more lively slimmed a little, but it rides just fine stock

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think that's a kick azz bike! only concern is how the steel will hold up. is it really a raw fame? maybe not a good idea for humid places - like here in the middle of Dixie.

nothing to see here
    I'd imagine it's got a clear powdercoat finish
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Downtube is also slightly bent. More space for crowns of various suspension forks? Stronger bond between downtube and headtube? 120mm forks, maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I'd imagine it's got a clear powdercoat finish
    Ya, it's got clear coat.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast