Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Got a suspension fork

2011 Trek 'Gary Fisher Collection' Marlin Single Speed

My one and only MTB ride is a 2008 Kona Hei Hei 2-9 and I love it. Lately I have given serious consideration to getting a second bike, a 29er SS. It appeals to me and I'd like to spend some time on a 29er SS here (Phoenix, AZ) and see how I really like it after putting miles in the saddle.

My story is common, on a budget, kids, mortgage, etc. etc. What I want and what I can realistically afford are not in sync. I would like a Ti frame with Stans wheels and a Reba fork, but what I can afford is a used 29er SS. I happened to run across the new 2011 Trek 'Gary Fisher Collection' Marlin Singlespeed, due out in a month or two. It sounds like it is the Rig frame and equipped with lesser components than a Rig.

$599.99 is a pretty amazing price point. The frame is probably the highest level spec of the bike - but if the rest seems good enough then I was thinking this may not be a bad way to go in order to get a decent bike to try out SS'ing.

Any thoughts on this bike and how it is spec'd out? I've never seen the those SR Suntour suspension forks - but honestly if they work fine I'm not a big name snob, doesn't have to be a Reba or Fox to make me happy.

Basically I was kind of looking in the sub $1,000 range for a used 29er but this has me intrigued, $600 for a new 29er SS which could be upgraded later if needed.

Let's hear what you guys think about this. btw does anybody know what the weight may be on these bikes?

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    It does look like a decent bike for a decent price, but I'd probably keep looking at used bikes, especially if you know enough to differentiate between good and bad deals and between used and abused.

Alternatively, rigid singlespeeds can be found even cheaper if you're ready for another layer of challenging fun A new Monocog is about the most smiles-per-dollar you can buy, a new Monocog Flight is one of the best deals for a quality bike, and there are tons of used rigid SS 29ers all over the place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I agree with Boomn. For ride per buck, you will have trouble beating a used bike and if you are looking to upgrade components from that Trek already, that may be the slipper slope into a money pit. Trust me on this.

The trick to buying used is patience and to buy a whole bike (not in pieces). It is nice to try out a bike before you buy it, but Ebay can do wonders on finding a good deal if you don't have the patience for CL.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    It does look like a decent bike for a decent price, but I'd probably keep looking at used bikes, especially if you know enough to differentiate between good and bad deals and between used and abused.

Alternatively, rigid singlespeeds can be found even cheaper if you're ready for another layer of challenging fun A new Monocog is about the most smiles-per-dollar you can buy, a new Monocog Flight is one of the best deals for a quality bike, and there are tons of used rigid SS 29ers all over the place.
    I should mention that I am only looking at HardTails not fully rigid, our rough terrain out here is just too much for me on a rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree, but i'm not sure anyone has seen, much less ridden this exact bike to really say. I'm tempted to get the marlin and throw a switchblade fork on it for giggles. Time will tell. I've wanted a rig for as long as I've been registered to this site.

Got a suspension fork
    Update, I found the weight of the SR Suntour SF11 XCT V3 suspension fork. It is 2575g (5.67 pounds)

mtbr member
    That certainly is a good price for a HT.

Get with your LBS and ask about finding a 2010 GF Rig. It has a much better fork. They retail for $1500 but GF/Trek is famous for blowing out their bikes at the end of their model years. You may be able to get one under your $1000 max when they start chopping prices to make room for the relabeled Treks.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Doesnt the GF Rig have cable style disc brakes? How can they charge $1500 without hydro brakes?!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45
    Doesnt the GF Rig have cable style disc brakes? How can they charge $1500 without hydro brakes?!?
    because they are really good cable brakes, and really good cable brakes can still beat cheap hydros unless your personal preference is very strong for hydros

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    because they are really good cable brakes, and really good cable brakes can still beat cheap hydros unless your personal preference is very strong for hydros
    I agree. A good set of mechanicals has much better modulation than cheap hydro brakes (IMO).

Interestingly enough the "Trek" Rig is now about $100 more and it has Juicy 3 brakes and a slightly different frame (sliding dropouts as opposed to eccentric BB). Think I'd rather have the BB7's than those Juicy brakes.
    Signature

Got a suspension fork
    I think I am leaning towards trying to find a closeout on a Felt Nine Solo at year end if nothing else more interesting turns up before then.

2010 Felt Nine Solo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I picked up a used GF Rig two weeks ago. Guy was asking $1,050 -- I walked away with the bike for $850. I'm used to Juicy 7's and really tried to like the BB7's. After two rides I ended up selling the BB7's and bought some used Juicy 5's. I actually made a few dollars in the end. Love the bike, my BlurLT is going to get awful dusty sitting in the garage.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    fork alone was nearly 6 pounds!!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    I agree. A good set of mechanicals has much better modulation than cheap hydro brakes (IMO).

Interestingly enough the "Trek" Rig is now about $100 more and it has Juicy 3 brakes and a slightly different frame (sliding dropouts as opposed to eccentric BB). Think I'd rather have the BB7's than those Juicy brakes.
    Really? I have a couple bikes equipped with Juicy 3s... or maybe one with 3s and one with 5s... plus a couple with Juicy 7s. To be honest, I can't tell any difference in stopping power or modulation from level of Juicy brake to another. They all feel the same to me.

--Sparty

P.S. I also used Avid BB7s for years and was a loyal follower until I finally made the switch to hydros.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I was real close to buying a 2010 rig when I found an 09 Felt solo for $1200...very happy & so much more bike for less $. Rigs are nice, but you'll spend a lot upgrading. I had an 07 rig which I did like, but Felt is so much nicer.

Apr 2007
    I think buying complete has bang/buck advantages, but that thing is like buying a used German car---it will bleed your bank account dry. Maybe not dry, but at least make you spend enough to realize you should've bought a better bike to begin with. Plus, it's an anvil to boot.

I'd look at the Redline (Monocog or Monocog Flight) and just lower the tire pressure to 25 or so. I am in the Rockies and found rigid bikes to be fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant76
    I was real close to buying a 2010 rig when I found an 09 Felt solo for $1200...very happy & so much more bike for less $. Rigs are nice, but you'll spend a lot upgrading. I had an 07 rig which I did like, but Felt is so much nicer.
    I'm curious to know where you feel the Felt Solo is a better bike? I'm looking through the specs and the only thing I see that might be better is the brakes, but the die-hard BB7 fans would disagree. The rest of the parts are Felts proprietary parts which are very similar to the Rig's specs with Bontrager. I'm just curious, not trying to start a war of words.....

bust a move
    Last week I told my lbs to go ahead and order one of the 2011 marlin ss, the next day he called me back with a delivery date of 11/22. Said it wasn't available until then. Yesterday I picked up a sweet (not a scratch) monocog with an extra set of tires for $300 on CL. It took over three weeks of searching, but it was worth the wait. At that price I can look for a fork if I find the need/want.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member

felt/rig

Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
    I'm curious to know where you feel the Felt Solo is a better bike? I'm looking through the specs and the only thing I see that might be better is the brakes, but the die-hard BB7 fans would disagree. The rest of the parts are Felts proprietary parts which are very similar to the Rig's specs with Bontrager. I'm just curious, not trying to start a war of words.....
    hey 2slo,

no war...just opinions

I did love my rig, but I was not a fan of BB7's nor the bontrager wheels, cranks, cockpit etc...all of which I upgraded. Considering the 2010 Rig recently for $1600 vs. the 09 Solo for $1200 I jumped on the deal. I did still replace the cockpit, but wheels, cranks, brakes are all much nicer in my opinion. Bike fits great & I wasn't sure about new G2 geometry. Both are very similar bikes & nice, but I'm liking my Felt much more. Additionally the Felt baby blue/green color is pretty swell.

Still new, so time will tell. I have heard mixed feedback re: Felt customer service.

Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey 2slo,

no war...just opinions

I did love my rig, but I was not a fan of BB7's nor the bontrager wheels, cranks, cockpit etc...all of which I upgraded. Considering the 2010 Rig recently for $1600 vs. the 09 Solo for $1200 I jumped on the deal. I did still replace the cockpit, but wheels, cranks, brakes are all much nicer in my opinion. Bike fits great & I wasn't sure about new G2 geometry. Both are very similar bikes & nice, but I'm liking my Felt much more. Additionally the Felt baby blue/green color is pretty swell.

Still new, so time will tell. I have heard mixed feedback re: Felt customer service.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I already upgraded the cockpit, changed out the BB7's for some hydro's and am currently looking for some lighter wheels. It's funny that no matter what bike I've bought, I've always done those same things..... And now, based on your comments, I'm going to have to look at the crankset.

I just got back from a ride...nothing like passing riders with a full set of gears uphill and hearing someone say...."That's a SS, what a crazy mofo!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
    Thanks Adam. I already upgraded the cockpit, changed out the BB7's for some hydro's and am currently looking for some lighter wheels. It's funny that no matter what bike I've bought, I've always done those same things..... And now, based on your comments, I'm going to have to look at the crankset.

I just got back from a ride...nothing like passing riders with a full set of gears uphill and hearing someone say...."That's a SS, what a crazy mofo!"
    same here 2slo4u...I change them on every bike. They're the part that finished off the fit so it's kindof personal. I almost wish (similar to pedals) completes came without the cockpit so that you could add your own & not end up with various bars, seats, stems, etc in your garage. I usually try to swap some stuff out at the dealer to save that, but others I always seem to try first so that I can know..."yup 70mm Thomson stem instead of the ridiculous 110mm that was spec".

passing geared riders on a ss is a special treat. The stealth sneak-up is also nice. It's just bad when they pass you again on the flats

so you riding a 2010 rig? How do you like the G2?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    same here 2slo4u...I change them on every bike. They're the part that finished off the fit so it's kindof personal. I almost wish (similar to pedals) completes came without the cockpit so that you could add your own & not end up with various bars, seats, stems, etc in your garage. I usually try to swap some stuff out at the dealer to save that, but others I always seem to try first so that I can know..."yup 70mm Thomson stem instead of the ridiculous 110mm that was spec".

passing geared riders on a ss is a special treat. The stealth sneak-up is also nice. It's just bad when they pass you again on the flats

so you riding a 2010 rig? How do you like the G2?
    I just picked up a used 09 Rig trying to satisfy my desire for a Tallboy. I've been on a BlurLT for the past 5 years and my LBS is trying to convince me that I need to part with my money. I have loved it but was ready to try something different. I'm in UT so I had to gear it down a bit, running a 21T cog in the back, I hope to be able to move to a 20T in the next few weeks once I get my "sea-legs!" To be honest, I haven't really noticed anything good or bad about the G2 geometry. I just know the bike is stable whether it be climbing, descending or doing switchbacks. I miss the rear suspension but I think that once I get a bit more dialed in, I won't even notice.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Wink I've Got a Marlin Single Speed Comming

I just had my LBS order a Marlin Single Speed.
    I've read the comments and critisizms of this particular choice, but I've also found a few things.

According to Trek it is actually the Rig frame.
    The Fox fork on the Rig is nice, but an $850.00 fork is over kill for me and my use.

You can pick up a new or nearly new 29er Reba for between $300.00 and $350.00 which is way good enough for me even if it isn't quite G2 spec.

The Tektro brakes are also a little iffy, but you can get good new or new removed hydro disks for $60.00 to $120.00 a wheel. Still $600.00 cheaper than a Rig.

Ive always wanted to try a 29er SS but my second reason is I eventually want to make a Alfine geared hub bike out of it and the SS frame has the horizontal / vertical drops that are perfect for that application with no messy and friction steeling idler needed.

I know you are mostly all purist mountain bikers, but my eventual goal is to make a true dual purpose bike out of this. My other bike is a Jekyll by the way.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think the Marlin is a great choice. It's nice to know that's a rig frame. When trek liquidates these, they should go fast.

Token Hillbilly
    Howdy,

I've got the Marlin SS, and it's a fun bike with a good price starting out.

As far as good stuff. It's a very confident feeling (fun to jump) bike with good gear ratio for where I live. The build quality seems very solid, and I really like the drop-out configuration they used. It also looks to have everything already in place to be ready to change to gears if the need arises. When mine arrived, it came with Maxxis Crossmark tires (different from the spec on the website) that seem to do very well in hardpack and some mud, and did relatively well in leaf covered sections. I have yet to test in rockier sections. The wheels seem to be solid and did a good job. The Tektro Novela's seem to do a competent job with stopping (I weigh about 140, YMMV). On top of all that, the sweep handlebars are positively perfect for me.

The not as good list is pretty small. The levers, well they work. I have some Juicy 7's on an older 26" Marlin, and it's sort of hard to adapt back to the Tektro mechanical levers. The rear hub I'm not in love with as it feels... clunky as far as the engagement goes, but will suffice until I destroy it.

The bad stuff. The fork is ok, but I wouldn't want to put too much stress on it. It's probably better than say, a Dart 2, but as it goes, I've already got a new Recon coming to replace it.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast