mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2010 superfly ss

i am getting close to ordering the new frame/fork but i heard a few people complaining that the rear drop outs slip i was looking for some feed back from some superfly ss owners or if there are any other problems thanks

uh, or something!

No good the second one

didn't work either.......just bailed and ordering up a selma. shame cuz the one 4 hour ride on it was awesome - rides and handles like no other! pm me if you want to hear the entire saga! last years version with the track drops works fine.
    Life is a drink and you get drunk.... when you're young.....

mtbr member
    I read on Jesse Lalonde's blog that he complained of having some odd mechanical problems in a recent race on his 2010 Superfly SS. He didn't go into detail but I am wondering if this was the same problem that he was experiencing?

Moderator Moderator
    There are no Superfly ss listed as available until Jan /Feb 2010, I had my lbs check yesterday.

Re-design maybe??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I read on Jesse Lalonde's blog that he complained of having some odd mechanical problems in a recent race on his 2010 Superfly SS. He didn't go into detail but I am wondering if this was the same problem that he was experiencing?

I think the odd mechanical problem was that his silly belt drive was slipping on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    they must have pulled them then because 2 weeks ago they had all sizes available almost $1600 cost thats nuts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoen
    they must have pulled them then because 2 weeks ago they had all sizes available almost $1600 cost thats nuts
    Is that $1600 cost with the Fox fork? That's how they list them on their website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    you get a fork headset stem seatpost and seat clamp for $1600 but now you cant get anything till further notice they didnt give my shop a reason so i am just assuming its because all the dropout problems if you look close at jessie lalonde's bike it has 2010 graphics but it has the dropouts of the 2009 frame creepyfriendly.com

mtbr member
    Expensive yes but not outrageous if you compare it to the price of your average carbon road bike frame. I would and probably "will" pay it unless the date gets pushed even further out and then I might have to hold out and try to land a carbon Niner One9.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i thought about getting a niner also but those eccentric bottom brackets suck thats what i am trying to get away from

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I love my 2010 Superfly SS.....Best bike I have ever owned....Just wish it didn't slip.....I pray they come up with a new design and soon....

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    How is the slipping occurring? Seems like if the thumb screw is positioned correctly there is almost no chance of this? If the set screw is moving, then allowing the bolts to slip forward? If this is so, a nylock nut of appropriate size on the thumb screw against the frame should prevent this.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    How is the slipping occurring? Seems like if the thumb screw is positioned correctly there is almost no chance of this? If the set screw is moving, then allowing the bolts to slip forward? If this is so, a nylock nut of appropriate size on the thumb screw against the frame should prevent this.
    The non drive side is slipping aft....Which is the opposite direction the set screw is set to stop the wheel from moving....The bolts do no loosen up it is just slipping in the slot due to not enough surface area and only one bolt on that is holding it in the slot....If it had two bolts like the drive side?........Or if it had a bigger bolt and a bigger surface area to torgue the bolt on...Then it might work......Trust me.....We have tried everything....We meaning the shop and my team mate who also has one and is haveing the same trouble

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    Here in Colorado, I haven't known a single person who's owned a Superfly that didn't break and replace the frame AT LEAST once. I've known a few folks on them. They ride nice, but they are delicate!

That's not counting JHK or Sam Schultz... I work with them sometimes, and Sam used to live with me, but I still can't get them to break their silence on how many frames they break per year.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

uh, or something!
    Quote Originally Posted by huffyboy
    The non drive side is slipping aft....Which is the opposite direction the set screw is set to stop the wheel from moving....The bolts do no loosen up it is just slipping in the slot due to not enough surface area and only one bolt on that is holding it in the slot....If it had two bolts like the drive side?........Or if it had a bigger bolt and a bigger surface area to torgue the bolt on...Then it might work......Trust me.....We have tried everything....We meaning the shop and my team mate who also has one and is haveing the same trouble
    my shop attempted everything you can imagine and worked on it for days with no luck. it wasen't just the non drive side. this was the 2nd frame as well. trust me, there is a design flaw that was not thought out and now GF's engineers are well aware of the issue and have come to terms with it and are working on a redesign. this has to be the reason why they are now not available. i bailed after the 2nd one didn't work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

I don't have a Superfly SS but from looking at the pics on their website I have an idea, not sure if you have tried it. Try taking a bastard file and lightly file the inside of the drop out that mates to the frame. The anodizing/paint on that piece could be causing the part to not actually (grip) the frame, resulting in slippage.

just my .02

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=JoeyDurango]Here in Colorado, I haven't known a single person who's owned a Superfly that didn't break and replace the frame AT LEAST once. I've known a few folks on them. They ride nice, but they are delicate!

That's interesting our shop has sold at least 40 Superfly's YES 40 Superfly's in the last three years and three of them have been broken. I too live here in Colorado and I too own a Superfly singlespeed and mine is not broke.

Yes things do break but lets look at the small percentage of them that do. At least Trek gives you a LIFETIME WARRANTY which a lot of companies don't.

just my 2 cents

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    Of course they give a lifetime warranty, any decent brand does. What should matter, however, is how well that warranty works... the latest Superfly to break here in my town has been on the warranty backlist for literally months, and they recently told my friend that he will not be getting any response from Fisher until at least 2010. Oh, Fisher also said they "hadn't seen any Superflys break". Sure, and that's why you're completely out of replacement frames... it may be a small percentage overall, but the it is still higher than it should be. Aren't SS riders looking for simplicity and durability? I am - I ride steel. Two more cents.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mello211
    my shop attempted everything you can imagine and worked on it for days with no luck. it wasen't just the non drive side. this was the 2nd frame as well. trust me, there is a design flaw that was not thought out and now GF's engineers are well aware of the issue and have come to terms with it and are working on a redesign. this has to be the reason why they are now not available. i bailed after the 2nd one didn't work.

What did Gary Fisher do for you?........I'm still waiting to here back from them

uh, or something!
    What did Gary Fisher do for you?........I'm still waiting to here back from them
    after we discovered the first frame had slip issues, they immediately shipped a second frame - but the problem IMO is inherent in the design so the second one had the same issue. they are in the process of crediting the shop for the frame and fork and i had the shop order me a salsa selma with all the trimmings! shame cuz i had a geared superfly prior to the ss superfly and they both rode like a bat out of hell. i must say trek/gf has been very quick to respond and have been good to deal with. will see how the salsa works out - will likely keep it for a bit and see what GF comes up with on the redesign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDurango
    Of course they give a lifetime warranty, any decent brand does. What should matter, however, is how well that warranty works... the latest Superfly to break here in my town has been on the warranty backlist for literally months, and they recently told my friend that he will not be getting any response from Fisher until at least 2010. Oh, Fisher also said they "hadn't seen any Superflys break". Sure, and that's why you're completely out of replacement frames... it may be a small percentage overall, but the it is still higher than it should be. Aren't SS riders looking for simplicity and durability? I am - I ride steel. Two more cents.
    Well with your two more cents it sure sounds as if your don't like TREK to begin with. First very few companies these days come with a lifetime warranty most are coming with a five year warranty if that.

Second I don't know what your dealer told your friend but if he broke a singlespeed frame that frame was only made for team guys or shop guys so there were only so many made. Sure all of those frames are gone by now and the 2010 was designed differently because people were asking for the slider drop outs and they have had some issues with the drop outs and are fixing the problem so those frames are not ready yet.

Also I honestly don't believe that TREK said that they "hadn't seen any Superfly's break". We have had a few break and they have replaced them in less than a week.

These things do happen but I'm sure if you stick with your steel frame you will never have any issues with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As Huffyboy said our shop has tried everything. our bikes have been slipping on the non drive side where there is only one bolt and all the brake force against it. I got a call from the shop today that GF is doing a redesign and we should have new frames in 1 month. Based on the past I bet it is 2-3 months. I'm OK with that since they are sending a new Rig frame to ride until the Superfly is back. Not ideal but damn good customer service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    As Huffyboy said our shop has tried everything. our bikes have been slipping on the non drive side where there is only one bolt and all the brake force against it. I got a call from the shop today that GF is doing a redesign and we should have new frames in 1 month. Based on the past I bet it is 2-3 months. I'm OK with that since they are sending a new Rig frame to ride until the Superfly is back. Not ideal but damn good customer service.

No....Not ideal....But way more than any other company has done for me in the past.....I know it will be worth it in the end

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have an 2009 regular (not SS specific) Superfly that we built as a SS by using a White Industries eccentric rear hub and it is awesome. Incredibly light and very forgiving. I haven't had even a hint of problems. The hub works flawlessly and the chain stays nice and tight. We will see how the frame holds up but, I only weigh 140lbs so I am not to worried.

mtbr member
    I have been racing mine for a month now-running 32/18 and absolutely no slippage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoen
    you get a fork headset stem seatpost and seat clamp for $1600 but now you cant get anything till further notice they didnt give my shop a reason so i am just assuming its because all the dropout problems if you look close at jessie lalonde's bike it has 2010 graphics but it has the dropouts of the 2009 frame creepyfriendly.com
    If you think that is expensive-check out specialized stumpjumper ss-2800 with a reba fork

mtbr member
    I replaced my stock bolts with a wider head bolt-i didnt have any issues, but just did it as a stop gap measure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is there slippage issue with only with 10 year model? Or it is the same for 09 SS Superfly?

It termes of frame brakage - what part of frame often brakes?

Moderator Moderator
    Slippage was / is on the '10 dropout. The '09 had track ends and so as long as the wheel is set correctly it won't slip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have one of the 2009 Superfly SS. 2000 miles on it last year. No problems. Best SS made.

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by mcj57
    I have one of the 2009 Superfly SS. 2000 miles on it last year. No problems. Best SS made.

Yes.

inspired
    Dec 2009
    i got a superfly ss as a replacement frame from a ferrous. built it up and rolled out of the garage last night maybe 100 yds and the chain was loose already. what to do? IMO the fix should not come from something that i discover. if i do something to steer away from the warranty covering it, then i am left holding the bag.
    Salsa Cycles
    11-mukluk
    14-Spearfish
    16-fargo
    18-Ti Timberjack

RIDE TO LIVE
    So far so good on my 10 Superfly SS. Hope the redesign holds up cause I absolutely love the bike. It is the fastest bike I have ever had the privilege to ride and that includes my 09 SWorks Epic. It is a rocket......

Plastic homer
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD
    So far so good on my 10 Superfly SS. Hope the redesign holds up cause I absolutely love the bike. It is the fastest bike I have ever had the privilege to ride and that includes my 09 SWorks Epic. It is a rocket......
    How did you equip your bike? Wheels? Gearing? Pics?

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er
    How did you equip your bike? Wheels? Gearing? Pics?

Check out this thread for details on my prelim build. I have the wheelset on order along with the XTR cranks.

Gearing right now for snow riding is 32/20. I range from 20-18 rear depending on conditions.

GF Superfly SS Build

inspired
    Dec 2009
    what will be my disadvantage of running a non g2 fork on the ss superfly? if the fix for the slipping drop outs work then i wonder if i can switch back and forth between a ferrous for the every day bike and use the superfly for racing only. i got the geometry pretty close from one to the other, but the ferrous has a steeper rake on the head tube. from my last post, let me correct myself,. the superfly ss replaced the hifipro29er.
    Salsa Cycles
    11-mukluk
    14-Spearfish
    16-fargo
    18-Ti Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey mr clean, what did you figure out on the drops?

In theory, the non-g2 fork would give you slower steering response but more stability. I think it will be fine. I've seen references to pros on superflys such as fisher factory rider JHK actually preferring and racing with the non-g2 fork.

inspired
    Dec 2009
    i did notice a similarity of the hifi pro, not that i do not like it, but it is different. i let the lbs know about the drop out issue and he has contacted the warranty department,m so now the warranty department will brought up to speed by the fisher engineers. i do believe that frame should have not been sent out.
    Salsa Cycles
    11-mukluk
    14-Spearfish
    16-fargo
    18-Ti Timberjack

inspired
    Dec 2009
    had a little more time to be patient with it today. i took a link out of the chain and let it slide down a little more in order for the tugs to have a better place to rest. i rolled around on the street and the chain is staying tight. i'm thinking about keeping it. the true test will be out on the trail. we'll see.
    Salsa Cycles
    11-mukluk
    14-Spearfish
    16-fargo
    18-Ti Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mr clean
    i got a superfly ss as a replacement frame from a ferrous. built it up and rolled out of the garage last night maybe 100 yds and the chain was loose already. what to do? IMO the fix should not come from something that i discover. if i do something to steer away from the warranty covering it, then i am left holding the bag.
    Got my "redesigned" 2010 Superfly SS couple weeks ago and have 3 rides on it now with no slipage issues. I'm curious how your chain is loose. The issue that I heard with the 2010 frame was with the non-drive side slider moving toward the back of the frame which would seem like it would tighten the chain since the chainline would be skewed. You seem to be describing a different problem. How loose was the chain? Are the thumb screws tightened down against the sliders?

I'm running a new chainring with a used chain and I did notice that the chain was a little loose after the first ride but I attributed it to running a stretched chain on a fresh chainring. It hasn't gotten any looser that I can tell since the first ride. Planing on putting 30 miles or so on it tomorrow so I'll see how she holds up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What did Fisher do to "redesign" it? Did you get a completely new redesigned frame, or did they do a "fix" to your old frame?

Just curious.

mtbr member
    Check the Fisher forum, but I believe they changed the hardness of the drop-outs, probably allowing more torque on the bolts, and perhaps more friction (due to a possible different surface finish?)

mtbr member
    May 2013

slipping dropout

Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er View Post
    Yes.

I have a Superfly 2009 with the horizontal track end drops. The bike came stock with shimano hubs that have the steel serated nuts that rub on the inside of the dropouts. with standard shimano QR's the wheel did not slip. however when I upgraded to stans hub which are aluminum the wheel would slip no matter how tight I made the QR's. I believe the problem in many cases is that the aluminum hub does not provide enough friction to keep the wheel slipping.
    I took the bike into the shop a few time and they couldnt come up with any solution besides two tug nuts, but to get the tug to not rub against the driveside hub where the cassette goes they had to mount the tug on the inside of the dropouts effectively increasing my spacing from 135mm to 137 or so. I didn't like that so I came up with a light more bullet proof solution. I cant believe they don't sell something like this and if they do please tell me where.
    the solution is to install the chain and measure the space in the dropout between the hub and front inside edge of dropout, then use an angle grinder to make a small piece of metal that will fill the void perfectly when the chain is at the desired tension. that way there is absolutely no way for the wheel to move. I have used this method successfully for at lease 200 miles.

not sure if there is a slot on these other types of dropout where a small piece of metal could also be wedged in to provide a similar solution.....

Members who have read this thread: 0