Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

2010 Stumpjumper 29 SS builds

I'm thinking of taking the SS plunge and the new Stumpjumper looks pretty sweet. I'm torn whether to build up a frame or buy the complete version. Id be interested in hearing from anyone who has one and their specs, weight, reviews,pics etc.

Please don't tempt me with any pics of the carbon s-works version, I can't afford it.

mtbr member
    My friend has a geared Stumpy 29er hard tail. He likes it quite a bit. If you're thinking of building up your own, I'd say go for it. I built my SS and have loved it. Once you're willing to start with the frame and go from there, your options are endless.
    :wq

Sup
    my frame came in at 59 oz with the ebb
    size 17.5
    if you like the silver you will not save any money building it up yourself
    it has a nice spec also
    the black and tan looks better in person IMHO
    I am waiting on my seat post and and for surlys cogs to come off back order
    all our trails are closed anyway

mtbr member
    Skip the Stumpjumper, you can get a Niner AIR9 (lighter than the stump) for ~80 less than the Specialized. Niner is a much cooler company, Specialized is run by a bunch of pencil pushers and lawyers... Phuck the big S!

Sup
    the stumpjumper has a better bottom bracket
    you can keep your air nien

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    the stumpjumper has a better bottom bracket
    you can keep your air nien
    That's questionable at best. Is there really a "better" EBB? If there were everyone would be using it (unless of course Specialized tried to sue you because they own the name EBB).

I'd rather buy a bike from a company that is passionate about what they do, and about the sport that makes it possible for them to earn a living. The big S can blow donkey balls

Sup
    So you hate specialized
    woopty doo

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Is there really a "better" EBB?
    Yes there is.

But back on topic, I personally like building from the frame up, but the complete Stumjumper SS looks like a pretty good deal. IMO the most important thing on a SS is the wheelset, and the complete Stumpjumper has a pretty dang good one. DT240s rear hub, and X450SL rims.
    It's got good brakes, and a good shock too, if that's your bag.

Expert Crasher
    Hands down, I'd choose the Specy over the Air 9.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Plus it has the stong dealer network to support it.

Sup
    If your local bike shop is specialized dealer is as cool as mine
    than it is a no brainer
    I buy 90% of my stuff from Jeff
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the 09 Stumpjumper Marathon built up as a SS. Love the bike and it rides so nice.

mtbr member
    I didn't realize Specialized was using a split shell EBB. That is definately the best EBB design, and I don't understand whay more companies don't use it, probably because it is more expensive to build with. I am not a big Specialized fan, but they just moved up a notch in my book. But man, those chainstay welds are Fugly!

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Anyone care to share pictures of your complete (silver) 2010 Stumpjumper 29 SS?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe
    If your local bike shop is specialized dealer is as cool as mine
    than it is a no brainer
    I buy 90% of my stuff from Jeff

im curious to know which state you are . there is a specialized dealer here in Texas and the owners name is Jeff
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    get a test ride on the stumpy and you will be wanting one. It just feels right. The black and tan looks extra sweet.

Sup
    I live in wisconsin

wish I was in texas right now
    the bike would be done and dirty
    man what I would do to have it back in the 50's
    think I will order the brakes today
    that will pull me through this month

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Upset Bike

Getting the 2010 SS full bike setup too. Just waiting for it to become available. I like the tan/black frameset, but the complete bike is too good of a deal. Plus I plan on selling the wheels and fork. If anyone has pics of the complete bike, I'd love to see it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic
    Getting the 2010 SS full bike setup too. Just waiting for it to become available. I like the tan/black frameset, but the complete bike is too good of a deal. Plus I plan on selling the wheels and fork. If anyone has pics of the complete bike, I'd love to see it!
    +1. All this talk is a big tease. Anyone have a 2010 with some pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by floxy
    I'm thinking of taking the SS plunge and the new Stumpjumper looks pretty sweet. I'm torn whether to build up a frame or buy the complete version. Id be interested in hearing from anyone who has one and their specs, weight, reviews,pics etc.

Please don't tempt me with any pics of the carbon s-works version, I can't afford it.
    I've posted pics of my S-Works SS here before, but I won't do that now as you requested. Yes, I'm lucky to have it, but I shot my wad on this and I drive a VW, so it's all about focusing one's spending. My riding buddies have termed it the "blinglespeed" as every single component was picked for its utter coolness. Also, I'm balding and in my 40s, so I'm allowed to have my vices.

You can't go wrong with the Stumpie in aluminum--it's sweet. I agree with the earlier poster too about wheels, the spec 2010 is a nice, well-rounded singlespeed. I think it's a lot of bang for the buck, but it's not cheap either. Then again, I think the black and tan paint might even look better than my carbon S-works. Good luck and post pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=docfink]I've posted pics of my S-Works SS here before, but I won't do that now as you requested. Yes, I'm lucky to have it, but I shot my wad on this and I drive a VW, so it's all about focusing one's spending. My riding buddies have termed it the "blinglespeed" as every single component was picked for its utter coolness. Also, I'm balding and in my 40s, so I'm allowed to have my vices.

You can't go wrong with the Stumpie in aluminum--it's sweet. I agree with the earlier poster too about wheels, the spec 2010 is a nice, well-rounded singlespeed. I think it's a lot of bang for the buck, but it's not cheap either. Then again, I think the black and tan paint might even look better than my carbon S-works. Good luck and post pics![ The new Stumpie SS is a sweet ride and is really light, I could have save a bundle but I was attracted to the Carbon like a moth to a porch light. Any way you choose you will not be sorry. Good Luck ]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Seen it

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedbuss
    I think we have all seen this link (or at least many of us have). What I would like to see is a picture of this anodized version in the wild.

Sup
    blinglespeed ?
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast