Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    huh?
    Reputation: KamloopsSingleSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16

    2009 Trek 69er SS

    I figured since I wasn't able to find it anywhere on the net as soon as it was released to the shops I would get people stoked on it...... what do you think???? personally I can't wait to get my hands on one, Mid October apperently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    747
    i think a 69er only works if it's something you build yourself.

    because otherwise why not just get a 29er?

  3. #3
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,321
    is there really an advantage riding a 69er? novelty? fad? just want to know.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  4. #4
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    is there really an advantage riding a 69er? novelty? fad? just want to know.
    you can convert a 26er into something that climbs over obstacles a bit better at the cost of geometry, some travel, and center of gravity.

    it can either work decently or be a train wreck.

  5. #5
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,321
    trek is desperate to sell, and since we are talking marketing hype 29/36" is more like it.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  6. #6
    huh?
    Reputation: KamloopsSingleSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    16
    personally I like the idea of a 69er I rode a 29er for a while and did not like it, I felt like I rode inside the bike as opposed to on top of it and that it decended like garbage compared to a 26er, if you like climbing but sit down and just cruise the desents then by all means a 29er is for you but I like to have fun on my desents and to me the 29er felt to much like I was driving it not riding it, but I do get beat up on my new 1x1 so I am hoping this might be a perfect comprimise

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,605
    I have a Top Fuel 69er, so I can say there are advantages to the smaller wheel in back - shorter chainstays, widely available gearing and tire choices, less weight, etc. I haven't noticed any disadvantages yet. Basically it allows the front wheel to roll over everything like a 29er, and it the front gets over it, the rear will follow. The 69ers have the fisher G2 geometry, with a quicker rear end. I like the way it handles. I'm sure i would have been happy with a HiFi 29er, but I was more impressed with the way the 69er rode after demoing both for a bit.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    123
    Shouldn't they be called a 96er as the 29inch wheel is at the front?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,269
    I have been running my 99 DEAN Osacr as a 69er for 3years now, I bought a rigid fork and the head angle was too steep so I checked to make sure a 29er wheel fit and built it up, it rides great love the big wheel for high speed stability and love the short chainstay for snapier cornering. I ma having a custom 69er built so I can runa susp. fork, the 26 rear is easier to accelerate.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scooter916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by KamloopsSingleSpeed
    I can't wait to get my hands on one, Mid October apperently.
    which translates into March

  11. #11
    eon blue apocalypse
    Reputation: gonzofish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by KamloopsSingleSpeed
    I figured since I wasn't able to find it anywhere on the net as soon as it was released to the shops I would get people stoked on it...... what do you think???? personally I can't wait to get my hands on one, Mid October apperently.
    Is the price going to be the same as 08 or more/less?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pmac83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by KamloopsSingleSpeed
    personally I like the idea of a 69er I rode a 29er for a while and did not like it, I felt like I rode inside the bike as opposed to on top of it and that it decended like garbage compared to a 26er, if you like climbing but sit down and just cruise the desents then by all means a 29er is for you but I like to have fun on my desents and to me the 29er felt to much like I was driving it not riding it, but I do get beat up on my new 1x1 so I am hoping this might be a perfect comprimise
    You can change the 1x1 into a 69er if you're gettin beat up on it too much. Use the stock fork and a tire <2.3. I rode mine with a 29er Nevegal on the front and it was better than I expected. It's a little sloppy at slower speeds but on downhills it corners very well. Just lean the bike and it grabs. The rear tire just follows. There are a few comprises but you maintain that flickability of the 1x1 with a front that gets over obstacles easily. Just a cheap option to try before you buy the Trek.

  13. #13
    simple
    Reputation: 69erSycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    666
    Looking at the bike above it would be 6 on the left and 9 on the right so ...69er

    I love mine and it is perfect for Colorado singletrack. I did the ghetto conversion w/ rigid fork on my Ionic and then a Kona. I wanted to use a suspension fork so I had Sycip custom build my frame. Its the best SS I've ever ridden.

    Sorry to see the Maverick fork go away on the Trek 69er SS but the Fox is a worthy substitute.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzofish
    Is the price going to be the same as 08 or more/less?
    I was wondering the same thing, hoping less because it's not that Maverick fork but it seems as all of the Fisher/Trek line are going up in price no matter what.

  15. #15
    I like butter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    456
    Trek World showed retail around $1999.99 MSRP IIRC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •