mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2008 Superfly to single speed: need suggestions

I'm looking for some conversion help but I'll give a bit of background first. Last year was my first year on the dirt, yes I'm a reformed roadie... Anyway, I picked up a GF Rig SS to help rehab my knee and do some of the local WORS races (mid pack SS finishes). I really came to love SS for all the same reasons that everyone else does. My wife purchased the Superfly for me last summer and it's a great bike but I'd rather ride it SS this year.

I've looked at a bunch of information in the forum and see everything from the cheap (ish) rear tensioners to the YESS BB mounted tensioner to the newer excentric BB. I'm looking for something that I can convert the bike over relatively quickly while keeping the SS vibe, a quiet clean machine.

I've also scored a set of 09 RXL wheels that will go on the bike and the 08 wheels will be used as spares and maybe thrown on the Rig.

So, what's your expert advice on the best conversions?
    Gravity is my friend... SOMETIMES!!

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    I have not used one, but the eccentric BB that fits in the normal BB shel is the hot ticket. Super clean, no tensioner. I would go that way. I am considering a non SS frame for my next bike. Maybe someone who has used one will kick in their 2 cents. ---Mike

mtbr member
    How would an EBB for a standard BB work? Where would your crank spindle go through at? Not sure that it exist.(?) An ENO eccentric hub would do the trick.

I have red hair
    How would an EBB for a standard BB work? Where would your crank spindle go through at? Not sure that it exist.(?)
    It does exist

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product...ombracket.html

Super trick, it's called the Excentriker

That's the first one I heard about, but from what they tell me, there are more options nowadays.

I have red hair
    Oh, and +1 on the Eno hub, those work awesome too

mtbr member
    I stand corrected. That is pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The ENO eccentric offfers better chain adjustment, no half links required. I use it to full satisfaction(V-brake). When running discs, you will need the WI eccentric disc mount. I haven't used it, but it doesn't look all that reliable. I mean, when using this mount for a long time, I can imagine it wearing out, excessive play on the eccentric parts. Any experience on this?

The Trickstuff exzentriker has a smaller adjustment range. Also, when using this ebb with a triple crankset, the mounts for the inner chainring need to be grinded off. This is hearsay, though. Maybe you can find the full specs on this trickstuff thing?
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    www.forwardcomponents.blogspot.com is another source for an aftermarket bottom bracket and if you look around on this forum, someone recently posted about their experience with the system. If you want to use those sweet wheels you have, an aftermarket EBB is the only way to go (unless you run some sort of tensioner).

I would say ENO hub first, but then you would have to relace the wheels you already have.

BTW, you will have a sweet SS when you are done!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm using the Trickstuff Exzentriker and a part from being rather expensive it works really well. There are a few threads on the subject like:

Forward Components Review
    Review: Forward Components eBB for conventional BB shells

Some posts on the Exzentriker
    Trickstuff Exzentriker ride reports

meh... whatever
    did mine with the yess products etr-b. (in depth review here)

fwiw, it will magic gear running 33/19.

Photobucket
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey great links folks! So, I'm still waiting for someone to sound off for the rear der mounted tensioner. I know they all have a purpose advantages and disadvantages so how does one decide??

Monogod, I'll be converting back and forth between geared and SS until I'm able to locate a Superfly SS frame. What are your thoughts on leaving the tensioner on? It just doesn't seem like a good idea with drag and potential problems. I want to find the best solution so how long does it take to install and remove?

Keep the great thoughts and ideas coming.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly3512
    Monogod, I'll be converting back and forth between geared and SS until I'm able to locate a Superfly SS frame. What are your thoughts on leaving the tensioner on? It just doesn't seem like a good idea with drag and potential problems. I want to find the best solution so how long does it take to install and remove?
    you will not locate superfly ss frame until march of next year. they are not available to the general public but were an employee only item, and one stipulation is that the frame cannot be sold for a year. of course there may be some who will do it anyway, but if they get caught they run the chance of losing the brand at their shop. that being said...

if you look at the write up i did on it you see how it is installed. how easy that is depends on your skill level. i can put it on and take it off in less than 4 minutes. when you view that write up you will notice the bolt at the pivot area of the tensioner. simply remove that bolt and the bottom half of the tensioner can be removed in less than 15 seconds. with the bottom half removed you can then leave the rest and run it geared. you must either remove the entire tensioner or the bottom swing link to run it geared.

so if you are going to be moving from ss to geared using this tensioner you would simply need a spacer/cog set and another chain cut to proper length. you can leave the front der on set to middle ring and then simply remove the chain, remove the rear der and shifter (do not undo the cable, shift into smallest cog and then remove it all as one unit), pop the bottom part of the tensioner on, swap out cassette for spacers/cog, and throw on the shortened chain. total swap out time less than 5 minutes.

viola! no more gears!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The ability to remove the lower piece at the pivot is exactly what I was looking for when perusing the other thread. I just couldn't tell if it was possible (easily) from the photos. Pretty easy to keep a chain or two for different cog choices in the traveling tool set. Sounds great but I'll give myself at least 6 1/2 minutes to do the swap Thanks tor the coaching.

meh... whatever
    The ability to remove the lower piece at the pivot is exactly what I was looking for when perusing the other thread. I just couldn't tell if it was possible (easily) from the photos. Pretty easy to keep a chain or two for different cog choices in the traveling tool set. Sounds great but I'll give myself at least 6 1/2 minutes to do the swap Thanks tor the coaching.
    no prob, bro.

a minor sidebar... if you use avid matchmakers there will only be one bolt involved in removing the thumbshifter for the rear der from the bar. plus, i think they look better too.

one other thing... when you're removing the rear der/cable/shifter assembly remove the shifter and cable from the stops first before unbolting the der; and when installing it mount the der first before hanging the cables in the stops and remounting the shifter.

a couple of swaps and you'll be down to 4 minutes flat!

Sweep the leg!
    Kelly's in Wisco. I'll bet he knows someone if he tries.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Trickstuff Exzentriker is good. It run faster and not very heavy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Magic Gears

I am able to run a 32/15, 33/16 with half link, 34/15 with half link, and 36/15 (slightly stretched chain) on my 2008 Superfly. From a prior post, looks like a 33/19 will also work. The selections I have used are pretty good for Michigan racing. Obviously, once the chain is stretched I need to replace it or use it with the 36/15 gearing. No problems at Trans Iowa, Lumberjack100, or Iceman with the drive train last year. With that said, I am sure it will fail at my next race

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Once you get your SS up and running, you probably will not go back to gears anyway!!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If You Know The Right Guy You Can Get One Of These...

Just finished this built yesterday:

Sir Dabs-alot