mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2008 Kona Kula 29er

I am looking to convert my bike into a light, fast single speed commuter. I live in Manitoba, which is extremely flat and has long winters (will commute in winter). My commute is 8 miles each way and has literally, 5m grade change over that span.

I was considering buying the 2013 Kona Unit, but figured I could spend less and get more if I just converted my existing bike. Here is the bike (only upgrade are Stans Arches bought earlier this year).

KONA BIKES - 2008 BIKES

I have money to spend, but don't want to spend a ton. I am looking for a new rigid fork (carbon perhaps). New crankset if needed and of course the rear conversion kit.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks

NedwannaB

Convert it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dingo View Post
    I am looking to convert my bike into a light, fast single speed commuter. I live in Manitoba, which is extremely flat and has long winters (will commute in winter). My commute is 8 miles each way and has literally, 5m grade change over that span.

I was considering buying the 2013 Kona Unit, but figured I could spend less and get more if I just converted my existing bike. Here is the bike (only upgrade are Stans Arches bought earlier this year).

KONA BIKES - 2008 BIKES

I have money to spend, but don't want to spend a ton. I am looking for a new rigid fork (carbon perhaps). New crankset if needed and of course the rear conversion kit.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I had one and you can't build up a much lighter alum frame bike then that one.

Parts you'll need:

-Should be able to get a 104bcd pattern "non ramped" single front ring that will fit spider arms of that crank $15-80 (US) depending on the bling factor you're looking for. And with a bashring you should be able to use same bolts too. Just need to get new shorter bolts if you don't use a bashring.

-Any one of the SS spacer kits for your rr hub. I used Origin 8. ~$30

-Inexpensive/blingy rr steel/alum/Titanium cogs ~$10-70

-Your sliding rr dropouts are already set for the conversion. Snip your chain to fit or buy new ~$15.

-A black Niner Carbon fork will be sweeet on that thing

Good luck!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks. I have the tools, but will need the luck. I hit the LBS on the way home and they set me up.

- DMR SS Kit 16t
    - SS Chain Ring Blots
    - I am just replacing my front Chainring with a new 44t FSA ring. (For the time being). Ultra Flat where I live. Bike mainly for commuting.
    - New chain. SRAM 8 speed chain.
    - 6 Pack Granville Island Hefewiezen
    - 6 Pack Granville Island Maple Cream

Once I have it setup and find that I like it, I will replace the fork and maybe some other components. This setup will give me a nice introduction.

I looked at that Niner carbon...... dreams

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for your input JMac. Here is the almost final result. New forks and tires next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Kona Kula 29er-kula.jpg  

Last edited by Mad Dingo; 08-23-2012 at 07:30 PM.