mtbr member
    Dec 2004

2 speeds without all the mess!

I love single speeding but sometimes when we are up in Laguna and I decide to ride home, it doesn't work out since it is a lot of downhill and I am geared too low for the road.

So I got to thinking about how to add a road gear SS to my bike without a lot of changeover hassle, particularly having to adjust the chain tension.

What I did is to put a 4 tooth smaller cog in the back and a 4 tooth bigger chainring in the front.

All I have to do is to remove the rear wheel and move the chain. Chain tension remains the same and I still get all the efficiency of a single speed.

I will probably change my gearing a little more so I can get a slightly higher gear. For every tooth you go smaller in the back you have to go one bigger in the front to keep the chain the proper length.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm invisible.
    Now all you need are front and rear derailleurs!
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by disease
    Now all you need are front and rear derailleurs!

Why?

If I did that then I would have front and rear derailleurs, front and rear shifters, front and rear cables and housing and more weight with more rings and cogs. Also jockey pulleys etc, that lead to inefficiency, not to mention more chain.

For the dirt I keep it in the lower gear and in a minute I am ready for the pavement.

I don't think I really compromised the essense of single speeding.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    u should make the chain longer and then get a surly chain tensioner
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's still a singlespeed in my mind. (because I do the same for the same reason)

That's a nice singlespeed setup that makes gearing changes easier to deal with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Works for me although I found that I rarely use the bigger geaar combo except when riding on the road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    Why?

I found a way of changing gears without having to retension the chain. Just keep the cog changes and chainring changes the same, so the chain keeps the same tension.

mtbr member
    OMG that's not pure.

It feels wrong and dirty to look at it.

Only kidding.

I'm about to build a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert with 8 speed Alfine hub. How filthy is that?

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    let's not give any advice if we don't know what we are talking about.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    My Fetish has something similar. It's a derailleur frame with a tensioner and 2 chainrings.
    I move the chain by hand to the big chain ring for street riding. I do have to adjust my tensioner to go from street to trail.
    One day I'll have a frame with SS dropouts and a 2 speed kickback bendix hub so I don't have to touch the greasy chain.
    It's still a single speed to me if it has no shifters.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

Time flies...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the links, although the last one from Surly doesn't seem to work.

My conversion was a lot cheaper than the White thing which cost 370 bucks and limits your gearing flexibility.

The big thing is to find your perfect gear ratio for the dirt and then figure out your street gear from there. Just make sure you change the same number of teeth in the back as you do in the front to have to keep from retensioning your chain.

mtbr member
    bravo rich.

i have two bikes like that, one is a commuter based on a mt bike frame, the other a road rocket. same idea...keep one chainlength by maintaining the same number of total teeth, and space the gears out alot.

i think of these bikes as 2x2, which means you're singlespeeding, but have to occasionally gear down for a monster hill. easier than a flip flop hub for me; amounts to a 30 sec movement of the chain.

i can ride almost anywhere in two gears, one for cruising, one for climbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Dinglespeed

To me it makes perfect sense. I'm doing the same thing on my Dambala except I have a three tooth difference. If you ride to the trails it's the only way to go, IMO. Just don't let some of the guys here hear you say you ride a single speed...

V-Shaped Rut
    Good idea even if someone else did it already.

Who cares about whether someone else thinks it qualifies as an SS. It does what you need and is fun to ride right? Guess that is what matters.

Birthday Collector
    Hey Dicky - see my post about the new Truvativ crank... I have thought of doing the same thing - not so much to have a gear to change to on the trail, but to ride the road to the trail, or on a major epic where you have extended long road sections. I like the SS (non-tensioned) primarily because it is SO QUIET on the trail. The dinglespeed model lets you still have that with only the extra weight of a cog and ring and longer Chainring bolts.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Weight Maniac
    Yeah...perfectly cool and still a SS. Great idea even if it's been done before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus

i think of these bikes as 2x2, which means you're singlespeeding, ...
    How about 2x1x1??? I finally did a similar setup on my older SS (vertical dropouts) that works fine with 32:18. The second setup is 35:15, which works great for tooling around the neighborhood and runs to the store. To change gears I can just push it over from the big sprocket or cog to the smaller and spin the cranks, creating slack, and then putting it on the larger cog or sprocket. Or, which is easy also, drop the rear wheel, move the change as above, and put the wheel back.

mtbr member
    I was just thinking today about changing my 2x9 29er, and logged on to research a dinglespeed-kind drive, i was thinking about it, after deciding Not to dinglespeed my fixie. I think its a Great idea Thank you Surly for "main streaming" the idea
    Go BIG (in your own way), or Stay Home

mtbr member
    This idea has been simmering in the back of my head for a while now. How many of you are trying it? Did you run it a while then swap back to standard SS?
    Is a 4 tooth jump enough? Too much?
    I was planning 2 teeth difference front/rear.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    4 tooth is around 20% increase in ratio, depending on the current ratio. Some examples:

32/16 = 2.000
    34/14 = 2.429 -> 21.4% ratio increase

32/18 = 1.778
    34/16 = 2.125 -> 19.5% ratio increase

34/19 = 1.789
    36/17 = 2.118 -> 18.4% ratio increase

Ali

mtbr member
    Thanks for the numbers. Gives me some grissle to chew on.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=Johnny Chicken Bones]This idea has been simmering in the back of my head for a while now. How many of you are trying it? Did you run it a while then swap back to standard SS?>

I've been riding a dingle for about 2 years now. I won't go back to singlespeed as long as I live where I do.

<Is a 4 tooth jump enough? Too much?>

It all depends on your circumstances, I tried a 2 tooth difference and it wasn't enough change for me. I've been running a 3 tooth difference for a long time. I can use the high gear for a lot of the jeep roads around here as well as paved stuff. If I only rode pavement to the trail head I'd go with a 4 tooth jump. BTW, the gearing on my 29er is 34/22 and 37/19, I live at 8,000' (CO) and everything goes up from here.

Using a cassette hub and sliding drop outs or an EBB makes running a dingle very simple, quick and easy.

Have fun!

DG5
    mtbr member
    Am I missing something secret in the forum title...???

SINGLE SPEED.

Go to the F*&%ING geared bike forum !!!

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    ^arc up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5

SINGLE SPEED.

Yup, you are missing something. (that or the paint fumes are getting to you) You're missing the part where a post bordering on needing to be in an alternative gearing forum isn't worth swearing and 3 exclamation points.

Perhaps you need to ride that Kona more to get some of that latent teen angst out? Or just not open the posts that might get you so uptight?

Do you think I'd have a better chance of finding SS riders who switched into a dingle in a geared thread?

I couldn't help but notice all the choice posts you've had related to your Kona. Hope it's still like p-nut butter. And good luck selling that post. I hope the price drop helps.
    Also noticed that you defended someone for their use of free speech. Always good to read of someone who supports the US Constitution.

I'll continue to post where I believe I'll find the best answers to my questions.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

V-Shaped Rut
    Sounds like you're missing enough hard riding and beer.

SINGLE SPEED.

Birthday Collector
    So.... If I ever change the cog or sprocket on my bike to a different combination, it then has had another gear and is no longer a SINGLE SPEED! Wow. And I thought I was riding SS....
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

(Ali)
    Sep 2006

SINGLE SPEED.

Yes, the title is confusing. This forum includes more than the title implies.

Ali

DG5
    mtbr member
    I'm sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    So.... If I ever change the cog or sprocket on my bike to a different combination, it then has had another gear and is no longer a SINGLE SPEED! Wow. And I thought I was riding SS....
    Exactly what I wanted to say

mtbr member
    May 2008
    richwolf...I like the idea and thank you for the info on gearing. I am going to give this a try, and to all you haters...keep it up your doing a good job. Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0