mtbr member
    May 2004

Is the 2.4 Motoraptor too big for a Kona Unit?

I am trying to decide between the 2.14 and the 2.4 tire. I am running full rigid and want the biggest tire I can run without going too far.

Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Medium?

What's that Tioga?

Factory DH 2.1? Way better than the moto regardless of the size. Run it around 22psi then raise or lower by a couple psi to your taste.

The moto would fit fine, but I don't think it's a great tire to run at the pressure at which I want to run it. The Tioga Factory DH 2.3 is what you need. Best tire ever.

Edit: There are two spacers on each v-brake pad post, a big one and a small one. You need to flip yours around so the small one is on the inside. Your brake arms will be more parallel and more powerful and not so dorky looking.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Factory DH 2.1? Way better than the moto regardless of the size. Run it around 22psi then raise or lower by a couple psi to your taste.

The moto would fit fine, but I don't think it's a great tire to run at the pressure at which I want to run it. The Tioga Factory DH 2.3 is what you need. Best tire ever.
    The stock tire is a 1.9 Tioga Red Pheonix. Too small for my taste. I have the 2.0 on my Kula and it is a little better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Isn't that bike being sold?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Isn't that bike being sold?
    It is up for sale, but I am still debating on riding it. If I do, those little tires won't work for my fat @ss. I'm holding off riding it for now. If it sells, I'll buy another with a larger frame.

Bryan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bglimpse
    It is up for sale, but I am still debating on riding it. If I do, those little tires won't work for my fat @ss. I'm holding off riding it for now. If it sells, I'll buy another with a larger frame.

Bryan
    I'm runnin' Mutano raptors on my rigid Unit, dig em. My first time with biggies though so others may have more to say.....
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member

I love the 2.4 motoraptor up front...

It is definately a big tire, like 840 grams or so, but it hooks up awesome where I ride (Willamette Valley, Oregon). I first put one on in the wet season, and it hooked up great on slick roots and rocks, and it performs pretty well in soupy mud too. I have also been using it this summer with good results (although it is a little sketchy on hardpack with loose gravel or sand on top). It is a bit of a hog on pavement and gravel roads, but it is a nice plush tire, and I have been getting exceptional tread life out of it. The 2.5 Weirwolf used to be my favorite front tire (about 100g less), but I never really liked it for winter riding. The Moto is my new fave because I just leave it on no matter what the season is or trail conditions are. I have tried the 2.25 Moto, and I didn't really like it as much, but then again it is a much smaller volume and lighter-weight tire, and I do prefer a big hog up front. The 2.25 seemed to ride too "hard" in the summer when inflated to 35ish psi, and in winter if I aired it down to 30ish, the casing seemed to roll over onto itself too easily, or I constantly got pinch flats. Some friends of mine actually like the smaller Timberwolf up front, and they ride rigid SS (I run 80mm up front). I'd like to try one of those sometime, but even the small timberwolves are big compared to the motos. Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    The 2.4 Mutanos work just fine.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Dog
    if I aired it down to 30ish, the casing seemed to roll over onto itself too easily
    This is my biggest problem with the moto raptor.

igoslo
    I'm running a 2.5 WTB Weirwolf up front so I'm sure the 2.4 would work fine.