1x9 2011 Trek Rig

Printable View

• 09-11-2011
    lateonthebrakes
    1x9 2011 Trek Rig
    I'm thinking of picking up a 2011 Rig single speed because it is basically brand new and less than $1000. I ride on the street 5 nights a week and on the trails on the weekends. If I decide to add a rear derailleur and cassette what other parts would I need? I know the derailleur, chain, rear cassette, and triggers but I've heard that I would need a new wheel as well. Does this include the whole wheel or just the center hub? I'm ignorant to the single speed concept as everything I've had before has been a 27-speed.
  • 09-11-2011
    AZ
    You'll need a complete rear wheel.
  • 09-11-2011
    allroy71
    I don't think that frame has a rear derailleur hangar or get this:

Problem Solvers
  • 09-11-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allroy71 View Post
    I don't think that frame has a rear derailleur hangar or get this:

Problem Solvers

The '11 model has swapable dropouts, the op will have to source those through the local Trek dealer.
  • 09-11-2011
    lateonthebrakes
    3 Attachment(s)
    I know it has the cable guides integrated into the frame. Not sure if the hanger can just bolt up but the frame looks identical to the x-cal and the paragon.
  • 09-12-2011
    blunderbuss
    As far as we can tell, the Rig and Marlin SS frames are indentical, and almost the same as Xcal, Cobia, Mamba, and Marlin, just with different dropouts. The Paragon is a different alloy with tapered ht and press fit bb. This is all 2011 info, lots of changes for 2012.
  • 09-12-2011
    lateonthebrakes
    Anyone trying to convert a x-cal to a single speed and want to swap rear wheels,derailleur, trigger, and dropouts? Haha.
  • 09-13-2011
    Schmucker
    You could slide 5 or 6 cogs off a 9spd cassette on the wheel to save some money.
  • 03-26-2012
    dunlop2540
    Can you put a deraileur hanger on a 2012 rig??
  • 03-26-2012
    Caffeine Powered
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The '11 model has swapable dropouts, the op will have to source those through the local Trek dealer.

Correct, as seen below. The rear wheel on the Rig has a single speed freehub body on it. You'd be hard pressed to fit more than 5 cogs on it, but any 29er rear wheel with a modern standard freehub body will work with 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. 135 axle spacing for it as well.

So if you're wanting to easily and quickly swap back and forth from SS to Multispeed, you'll want the shifter, cassette, rotor, wheel, tire/tube (or tubeless), chain and chain keeper in the front.

When I use my Ferrous as a 1x9 I have all the controls and grips on their own bars. The brake levers, lines and calipers stay with the bars along with the grip shifter, cable and rear deraileur. I remove the single speed bars with their brake levers, lines, calipers and grips. The multispeed bars go on (two bolts), brake calipers get mounted (two bolts each), deraileur gets mounted (one bolt), the cables get mounted (8 tie wraps), rear wheels get swapped, Single Speed chain comes off, 9 speed chain goes on, double check the chain keeper and away I go. I've done the swap in less than 20 minutes without rushing. Because the deraileur cable is never undone from the deraileur or shifter it doesn't need tuning.
  • 03-26-2012
    AZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop2540 View Post

Yes you can.
  • 03-26-2012
    Caffeine Powered
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlop2540 View Post

Trek part number 297834 $7
  • 03-26-2012
    dunlop2540
    much appreciated, thanks boys