mtbr member
    Oct 2010

1st SS ride today!

Managed to get my bike all set up and running smoothly, and although it's cold, it's dry here today, so thought it'd be rude not to go out for a ride.

I'm running a 32t chain ring, and an 18t cog, so haven't got the highest top speed, but thought it'd help my legs out on the climbs a bit whilst i get used to SS.

Have to say it's probably the most fun I've had riding this year so far! My ride was a mix of road, single track, and red route trail, with some decent climbs, about 25miles in all. My legs are a bit jellied now, but i can't stop grinning!

Next purchase will be some SS specific wheels, but apart from that I'm more than happy.

I can see why you all do it now, pure, simple, and most of all fun way to ride my bike!

Thanks again for all your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice -- glad you got your problems sorted out. 25 miles is great first ride on a single speed. I was running on a parallel problem track and I too got my bike together last night. Can't wait to get out tonight after work.

What part of the world are you from? "Whilst" and "jellied" don't come up in many posts . . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm English.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolk83
    I'm English.
    Well that explains it. Now I've got another British expression to go along with "stuffed" to describe how my legs feel after a hard ride . . . .

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Sole reason for me:
    ...Have to say it's probably the most fun I've had riding this year so far!
    ...My legs are a bit jellied now, but i can't stop grinning!
    ...I can see why you all do it now, pure, simple, and most of all fun way to ride my bike!
    Exactly!

Enjoy the ride!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

Ovaries on the Outside
    Eh, you don't need SS specific wheels. Pull the cassette and slap on the spacers and cog. Rock on.

Dive Bomber
    @Tolk83
    I just want to share my experience, I've been riding SS for 6-7 months with my 16" folding bike and my 26" MTB.

SS is so much fun, at first my ratio is too heavy or even too spinny on flats but now I don't even care. There's a time when you think you'll need more teeth on your cog but the truth is the longer you ride the more you want less teeth on your cog.

I enjoy the pain on uphill and I enjoy going crazy with 150 rpm on flats.

mtbr member
    I'm English.
    Sorry!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had my first SS ride last weekend here on the Isle of Man. I'm running a 32:81 on a Scandal 29er. I really enjoyed it, but luckily I only had a short window to ride so didn't really hurt my legs. Although, I found my upper body took a beating from standing plus the technical riding. On my geared bike you can just sit and spin, where with the ss you need to stand and move around a lot more.

Really looking forward to a winter of SS!

Dive Bomber
    Standing is fun, I even change my ratio to 32:20 (22:16 before) just to enjoy stand riding - I am an always sit spinner type. At first My SS is just for cadence fut burning cardiac machine but now I am glad I change my ratio and I use this bike for XC stuffs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Had a great commute today, managed to make it up the two steeper hills, 1 on the way, and 1 on the way back home. Really pleased with myself, as we had a busy day at work too, so wasn't expecting much on the way back.

Changed to a 34t /17t and seem to prefer it, not losing quite as much top speed. Have a 16t cog waiting too, for when my legs get a bit better!

Problem is, I'm now looking at a ti frame to shed some weight, better start saving!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Now I see . . .

Yeah, you guys were definitely right!

I got a 6" FR rig not too long ago so I decided to take my old steel (oval down/top tube construction) Bianch Peregrine HT from around 1997 and have it converted to SS after reading so much here about it being fun.

Basically replaced everything but the rear Deore V-brake, seat post, and saddle (everything was original to the bike). I'm lucky that I have a really great LBS with an excellent wrench who took the time to patiently walk me through the process of putting together a solid ride with decent components. He did an excellent job.

Took it out today over a mostly flat 1.45 mile loop with two small hills and several dirt piles here and there. Cranked out almost 15 smooooth miles in about 1.5 hours. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but its light - FAST - really nimble. Just plain fun.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Glad to hear more SS stories. I have been riding one for about two years+. I really kicks ass.
    After reading alot of 29er stories i built a 1x9 niner. Of the two, I must say i really enjoy the 26 SS. Its a 2004 Salsa Bandito, 19+ lbs, non suspended 36/16. (I just pretend its a 34/18). I can't believe how much it has helped my riding. From picking better lines, pulling front end up/ over everything and just getting stronger. Keep up the SS-ing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm with you. I just made the switch about 1-2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. Currently running a RH 29er 32/18 till I get my 34T bc I have to pedal like a maniac on the flats. But I can't get away from it. I'm building a FS 650b and lets say it's not that important anymore. All I care is to ride my SS.

Woodfordp

Smile

Just (this morning) ordered my first SS! Expected to be here next week - wonder what it's going to be like with a child seat on the back for my one year old?!!
    Foes FXR, Cannondale Bad Boy (09), Specialized Langster SS (10), Kona King Kikkapu (hers), Specialized Hotrock 24 (daughters)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its going to be great training thats for sure. Lol.