mtbr member
    Jul 2011

1st ss ride in 2 years!

So my buddy converted his rigid 29er to ss and let me borrow it. It's going to be interesting going from my geared FS 26er to this. I'm pretty excited. I remember the rush I got the few times I did it a couple years back and can't wait to feel that agiain. I brougt my gear to work with me and ill be heading straight to the trail around 4. There's just somehing about SS that makes me all swollen down there. I wabted to build one myself but I'm so busy with work and paying for school that I don't have the time/finances right now. Either way I wanted to give props to you SSers. I can't wait to feel the pain! I never should have sold mine
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    I've only been riding a singlespeed for about a year and a half, but at this point can't bear going even a week without. I wasn't able to take it on my Sunday ride (started hearing grinding from the front hub bearings on Friday and didn't want to risk wrecking the hub).

I guess what I'm trying to say is sorry you fell off the wagon, but I'm impressed you were able to stay on for two years! Enjoy your ride
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Geared up and ready to go! 5 minutes from TH Woop!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Bro Mountainbiker
    Prepare to feel the pain. They are both totally different riding styles that take time to develop
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was painful. But awesome. First ride in a month and a half since I messed up my shoulder so my breathing was off. I was suprisingly strong on the hills that give me trouble even geared. The whole mentality of ss is enough to push you through. I officially must have one now. The trail is 9 miles but I hit all of the bypasses and did 5.53 miles. I plan on doing the whole thing tomorrow. I got this ****!

Just as I feared, classic addict symptoms. And you all enabling his habits. I don't care personally if you do go and do it, just make sure you can in fact do it this once without having addict-like thoughts of selling the FS to fund the purchase of a rigid SS. I gues what I'm saying is, know what you're getting into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nooooooooo ill keep both! I had a back surgery and don't think my spine can handle endurance rides on rigid.

Of course. If you can afford your habit, why not endulge? I like your style.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One thing I did not like was the bike handling like a boat. The bars were freaking huge! the bars on my geared FS 26er are much more narrow. Handles quick. The 29er today kept leading me off trail. (excuse for me sucking)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Round two today! I am hooked! Still ridiculously out of shape. If my legs are up to it I may shoot for 3 tomorrow, then rest Friday, then get my FS back from my buddy for saturdays ride. It'll be about a 4 hour ride and I don't think I'm ready to rock the SS for that... Yet...

Just do it. My eighth time riding singletrack ever was a four hour endurance race; I never rode anything other than a rigid SS. At best you finish feeling like you got three more hours in you; at worst, you die. I'd be willing to chance it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've decided that when I build my own ss 29 It will not be rigid. Haha. It's fun but I need a little cush since my back surgery. At times I get exhausted and forget to work my body English to absorb. Still sitting more than I need too on the SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have back and neck issues and torn r/c as well. I still ride my rigid although I do take the squishy bike out once in awhile to give my body a rest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So an update: I did 4 SS rides last week and am hooked! I already called my lbs for a frame. I have to pay for this semester first then ill buy it. I ended up doing the group ride on SS Saturday and did awesome. Able to pass a lot of geared riders on hills. I still have my squishy but gave no intentions of riding it this week haha. My buddy is letting me hold onto his SS and I'm letting him use my road bike. I have caught the 29er bug and the SS bug. It's really sparked up something new.

I'm getting the 2013 soma juice
    http://somafab.blogspot.com/2012/11/...juice.html?m=1

Completely different from 2012 but I still like the raw finish a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Just as I feared, classic addict symptoms. And you all enabling his habits. I don't care personally if you do go and do it, just make sure you can in fact do it this once without having addict-like thoughts of selling the FS to fund the purchase of a rigid SS. I gues what I'm saying is, know what you're getting into.
    The more I ride my friends SS the more I want to sell my 26" FS to fund a sweet 29er SS HT build. I was planning on selling the 5" 26er FS next spring and buying a 4"29er FS anyway... Uh-oh...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I replied to your other thread about frame suggestions..That used $225 Monocog complete that I mentioned in that thread....it was my first 29er, first SS, first rigid, after being on a Trek Fuel EX 8. No more than a few weeks passed before the Fuel was sold. A backup to my Jabber is in the works though, not sure what yet, but I do know it'll be 29" and front squish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The jabber is right in my budget and allows for a decent wheelset budget too but im worried about the talk of long chainstays/wheelbase. Do you ever feel like the rear end was a pain to work around?

basically the soma juice covers all of my stipulations in a "first" steel ss build.

under $500
    steel
    short-ish chainstays
    no EBB
    allows for gears

sorry about having 2 threads on this by the way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Might want to recheck your chainstay lengths. The Jabber is at 450mm (17.7") while the Juice is at 445mm (17.6"). I wouldn't necessarily say the Juice has shortish chainstay length, nor do I think 5mm is a noticeable difference. Something like a Nimble 9 or Honzo at sub-16.8" or so, would be considered short.

The Jabber doesn't allow gears without the use of zip ties, so that might be a deal breaker for you. For my current style and majority of my riding, I welcome the longer stays. However, I am thinking of complementing it with something more "flickable", just to change it up once in a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    crap thanks. i must have remembered the wrong bikes geo. makes me feel better knotwing threyre similar.

what do you mean zip ties?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    crap thanks. i must have remembered the wrong bikes geo. makes me feel better knotwing threyre similar.

what do you mean zip ties?
    to hold derailleur lines. It only has guides for brake lines. There's probably prettier options out there to hold derailleur lines, but zip ties are cheap and effective.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    First post so I'll get right to it. I sold my 99 Kona Stinky (5" front/rear) to my brother and bought a '12 Kona Unit (dukes of hazard orange rigid SS). My first ride will be this Friday and I can't wait!

Looking forward to the SS and the pain. It will be interesting to see how my legs do, coming off ehh...hem... a full season of triathlon racing.

I loved the Stinky. It was a blast, a highly modified blast, but I was looking for something more simple.

Can't wait for Friday...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipster1 View Post
    First post so I'll get right to it. I sold my 99 Kona Stinky (5" front/rear) to my brother and bought a '12 Kona Unit (dukes of hazard orange rigid SS). My first ride will be this Friday and I can't wait!

Looking forward to the SS and the pain. It will be interesting to see how my legs do, coming off ehh...hem... a full season of triathlon racing.

I loved the Stinky. It was a blast, a highly modified blast, but I was looking for something more simple.

Can't wait for Friday...
    I rode my FS 26" today... Did not have fun. I'm getting closer and closer to getting it ready to sell it feels inevitable.