mtbr member
    Apr 2010

1st SS conversion

I have a Access xcl 9.5 29r and want to convert to a single speed. What would be the best way to go about this task? I know i could buy the kit for the back hub and a chain tensioner, but what should I do about the crank? What would be a good combination? Thanks for any info.......

Retro Grouch
    Most of these "newbe" questions can answered by reading the FAQ in the upper right corner of this web page. Generally a conversion consists of a spaced freehub, a BMX cog, a tensioner and a stripped down crank. After that it's a matter of how much money you want to throw at it. Have fun!
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

rollin
    Oct 2009
    I am converting an old hardtail and ordered my care package from pricepoint yesterday...+1 on what brad said, dont forget tools like chain whip and chain tool. Also, if you are going to use the middle ring up front, dont forget to order some smaller bolts to attach the chainring to the crank (5mm)

Cheers,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks...

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Definitely plunk down the whole $4 for a single speed cog or BMX cog. Trying to use the cog off of an old cassette will just lead to anger and lots of bad noise. I tried that to begin with. The BMX cogs have longer teeth so there is far less chance of your chain slipping when lots of torque us applied to it, as you will have to do now when climbing.

Also, finding that "magic gear" that doesn't require a chain tensioner is difficult. It is sometimes tempting to attach the chain then put the axle in the drop-outs, thus eliminating the tensioner but it puts a lot of strain on everything. If you can't get what you need check your LBS for a half-link and carry some of the chain that you removed when you shortened it in case it breaks on the trail.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

Members who have read this thread: 0