Shreddin the Cul de Sac

1st ride on my Surly since the MX Comp

I've has two SSs, both Surlys (1st frame broke at the drive side chainstay, Surly gave me another one), for a total of about 5 years. I've always rode them with rigid forks.

Recently I bent my rigid fork backwards, and replaced it with a Zokie MX Comp. See Need a new fork, steering is kinda twitchy now

I was feeling pretty beat up through my arms lately after my rides. Sore hands, elbows and shoulders mostly. I live in New England and the terrain can be very rocky, rooty and jarring, especially at speed. Downhills can beat the crap out of you. I figured a short travel fork would be just enough to take the edge off.

I got a MX Comp coil 85mm from universal cycles. After some self induced drama over whether I had a 85 or 105mm, I mounted up the fork, and finally had a chance to take it for a ride yesterday. 22*, and snow had been falling here in MA for a couple hours. There was a dusting on the ground.

Let me tell you, It's nice.

The additional axle to crown height is slightly slacker visibly, but not at all detrimental to the handling or climbing ability of the bike, in my opinion. I could feel the difference when I was trying to ride tight figure 8s in the garage, but I couldn't tell the diff on the trail. The bike always liked to go downhill and traverse technical sections, but now it just flies through that stuff. I didn't find myself wincing in pain through especially boney sections. The fork took enough of an edge off the jarring that I was able to maintain greater speed through the rocks.

I measured the dust line on the stanchion when I got home. Look like I got 60mm travel max this ride. Maybe it'll increase a little as it breaks in. After hemming and hawing over the ETA lever, there isn't enough travel for me to wish I a lockout. I called two or three times, but Universal cycles never came through with the v-brake posts (it's been in the mail since Dec 9th, right?), so I'm riding with just a back brake till I figure something out.

At under $200, this was my most appreciated upgrade in a long time. Doesn't feel like a low end fork at all.

Here's some before and after pix:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burpee; 12-27-2004 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grammar and typo corrections
    keep moving

mtbr member
    I got one as well for my ss convert and have been really surprised at how well it handles. Still feel like I am "breaking it in" so I might have to dump some oil out though. And those stickers come off real easy if you want to "pretty" up the fork.

those are Rollercams...

Just a question...

Did you check your frame thoroughly after the hit that crumpled your fork?

An ounce of prevention...

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Gave it the once over...

but didn't see or feel any ripples or imperfections. Hopefully if and when it does fail it'll be in a slow, steel-type way and not in a drastic aluminium-type way.

FrontRanger, what did you use to pull the stickers off that fork?
    I might as well do it now before they get all chewed up.

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Did you check your frame thoroughly after the hit that crumpled your fork?

An ounce of prevention...
    keep moving

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Well, that looks familiar!!

Burpee - striking similarity between your bike and mine. I bought the same fork for my 1x1 this past fall and I have to say that it did improve the ride quality of the 1x1 quite a bit. I had the same indecision about fork length, but Surly doesn't recommend running anything over 85mm travel on the 1x1. If you factor in sag, the fork length of the MX Comp coil is about the same as the stock 1x1 rigid fork. I had the same exact travel issue when my fork was new - don't expect it to get better. What you need to do is unscrew both tops and take quite a bit of oil out of both sides. I did that and now I get close to 80mm of travel. It's not the plushest or nicest fork, but it does compliment the 1x1 frame and smooth out some of the bigger bumps. Not bad for a $150 fork!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

MX Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    I called two or three times, but Universal cycles never came through with the v-brake posts (it's been in the mail since Dec 9th, right?), so I'm riding with just a back brake till I figure something.
    Burpee

I have some extra V-brake posts for a '03 MX Pro that I think will work on your fork. Let me know if you want them and I'll ship 'em to you. You can just pay me back for the shipping.

Take care.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Brupee, I have a set of Marz barke mounts from my MX Pro. If you want them send me you address & I'll send them to you - no charge.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Burpee - striking similarity between your bike and mine. I bought the same fork for my 1x1 this past fall and I have to say that it did improve the ride quality of the 1x1 quite a bit. I had the same indecision about fork length, but Surly doesn't recommend running anything over 85mm travel on the 1x1. If you factor in sag, the fork length of the MX Comp coil is about the same as the stock 1x1 rigid fork. I had the same exact travel issue when my fork was new - don't expect it to get better. What you need to do is unscrew both tops and take quite a bit of oil out of both sides. I did that and now I get close to 80mm of travel. It's not the plushest or nicest fork, but it does compliment the 1x1 frame and smooth out some of the bigger bumps. Not bad for a $150 fork!!
    That license looks familiar... here's mine (and I have several Marzocchi forks to boot!)

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    EarthPig - Nice ride. I wish I had the disc mounts on my frame. Someday when this one finally checks out, I'll make the switch. No problem with the Vs in the mean time. I love the reliability.

Thanks for the tip on the oil height. If I'm feeling ambitious maybe I'll crack open the fork legs. I don't usually do much to that bike though (can you tell by the year worth of caked on mud in the pics?). Pretty much just change flats and lube the chain once a year or so.

The Surly SS is the bike I know I can always reach for and it'll be ready to go.

Thanks to you guys who offered up the brake posts. I appreciate it. I have something cooking right now - if it falls through I'll follow up with you guys.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Burpee; 12-28-2004 at 04:35 PM.
    keep moving

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

I'll admit to plagiarizing

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    That license looks familiar... here's mine (and I have several Marzocchi forks to boot!)
    Dirtcrab - Actually, I saw your plate here on MTBR about a year or so ago and I liked it so much that I copied you! Sorry for the blatant plagiarism, but it's such an appropriate license plate!! (Honestly, I was very surprised that nobody already had that plate here in Idaho, since you can't swing a dead cat in this state without hitting an Outback....)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    Thanks to you guys who offered up the brake posts. I appreciate it. I have something cooking right now - if it falls through I'll follow up with you guys.
    Hope your plan pulls through for those post. I can't imagine riding with rear brakes only. I was thinking my next move was to offer the posts plus send YOU 5 bucks.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Wow! an offer I can't refuse

I'll PM you my address...
    Unless someone wants to offer me $10 to take their brake posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pho'dUp
    Hope your plan pulls through for those post. I can't imagine riding with rear brakes only. I was thinking my next move was to offer the posts plus send YOU 5 bucks.
    keep moving

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Dirtcrab - Actually, I saw your plate here on MTBR about a year or so ago and I liked it so much that I copied you! Sorry for the blatant plagiarism, but it's such an appropriate license plate!! (Honestly, I was very surprised that nobody already had that plate here in Idaho, since you can't swing a dead cat in this state without hitting an Outback....)

That's cool. Plagiarism is the most sincere form of flattery. Well, that is, as long as I don't move to Idaho!

Just another Homer

My plate

MTB ER in SoCal. the one with the palm trees and mountains in the background.
    I wasn't aware that Surly said anything about over 85mm fork travel.I'm running a Fox Vanilla that's 100mm I believe.I'm not real happy with it.It does take the big hits nicely,but the quick steering lacks and gives me fits in tight switchbacks.I'll look into the Zoke.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

not officially

Quote Originally Posted by Pain Freak
    I wasn't aware that Surly said anything about over 85mm fork travel.
    Not officially they didn't. I emailed, they answered. I believe the quote was something like "The 1x1 will handle like sh!t with anything more than an 85mm travel fork on it." Having run the stock rigid, a 100mm Fox Float, a Surly Instigator rigid, and an 85mm MX Comp fork on my 1x1 in the past 6 months, I'm very inclined to agree. 85 mm suspension fork BY FAR gives the 1x1 frame the best handling dynamics.

Just another Homer

Having

broken my wrists a total of 7 times (3 one side 4 the other) I wanted to make sure I'd get the best.I'd had a couple POS Rock Shox (Duke & Judy) and they weren't a whole lot better then a rigid fork.I was convinced longer travel would solve my problem.I've since learned it was just bad forks.I'm on the ebay hunt.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Have you considered a disc brake?
    I can't understand why you'd rather run no-brake than a disc.
    Put an avid disc up there for $60. It'll mate w/ your mech lever just fine!

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Thanks for the advice

I have a frame and fork in transit to replace the Yeti in my sig file.
    A Turner Burner from Larry at MtnHighCyclery.
    He had some extra vbrake posts and is throwing them in the box.

My 1x1 frame isn't disk ready.
    I don't want to go discs until I can go front and rear.

A couple rides w/ no back brakes is no biggie. Especially in the snow.
    Front brake + snow and ice = crash + wet tuckus.

Who uses brakes anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Have you considered a disc brake?
    I can't understand why you'd rather run no-brake than a disc.
    Put an avid disc up there for $60. It'll mate w/ your mech lever just fine!
    keep moving

Pain Reliever
    Not officially they didn't. I emailed, they answered. I believe the quote was something like "The 1x1 will handle like sh!t with anything more than an 85mm travel fork on it." Having run the stock rigid, a 100mm Fox Float, a Surly Instigator rigid, and an 85mm MX Comp fork on my 1x1 in the past 6 months, I'm very inclined to agree. 85 mm suspension fork BY FAR gives the 1x1 frame the best handling dynamics.
    I had a similar conversation with the Surly folks -- 85mm on the 1x1 is 'da bomb. I put an RS SID Race set on 80 mm on mine. It's certainly isn't the stiffiest fork, but their were no adverse handling issues and the bump supression is way easy on my (old) spine.

hands up who wants to die
    Someone needs to mail him a used 6" Avid CPS.
    Maybe it's just because of my my home turf in California, but I'd rather ride a rigid with disc brakes than a boinger with Vs. all the power's in front anyway; i would do fine with a 6" disc in front and some Alivio Cantis in back.

-r in NY