mtbr member

148 ss wheelset?

Looking for options for a wheelset w/148 single speed hub. Hub options seem limited. (I've read all the threads on this forum.) Anyone have an economical solution for a wheelset, or do you build your own wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know of any boost SS specific hubs yet...

WillWorkForTrail
    Whether or not Industry 9 is economical probably depends on whether you think buying high quality and getting a part you can use for many many years is as good or better than buying a cheap part that might last a couple of years. But...

https://industrynine.com/torch-class...b-single-speed

You can get boost shells on their SS hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Whether or not Industry 9 is economical probably depends on whether you think buying high quality and getting a part you can use for many many years is as good or better than buying a cheap part that might last a couple of years. But...

No kidding, I guess my head was in the sand. Thanks for the heads up! That really opens up my options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Onyx makes Boost SS hubs as well.
    https://onyxrp.com/product-category/...oost-iso-hgss/

mtbr member
    i9, onyx, profile, paul, etc... There are a few hub options. i9 said they will not build their wheels with their ss hubs.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabe View Post
    i9 said they will not build their wheels with their ss hubs.
    Really?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    "We do not offer our S-Series wheels in a single speed specific configuration. You can of course use a spacer kit on the Shimano style free hub to run it single speed, in which case I'd recommend the Enduro-S wheels."

WNC Native
    Oh yeah, I knew they didn't offer SS hubs on the cheaper S series wheels.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post

Are you sure they support 148mm with their spacer kits? I didn't see that as an option.

Edit: My bad, yes they do support 148mm- carry on!

mtbr member
    I have been extremely satisfied with my Profile Elite SS hub. They make it in Boost as well. A real Boost hub, not a spaced out 142.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    There are also the Profile Elite SS, 204 POE, though pricey:
    https://www.profileracing.com/produc...-cassette-hub/

If you are the DIY type, you might consider investing in a nice truing stand, a nipple driver tool and building the wheels yourself. There are plenty of great instructionals available and if you calculate your spoke length correctly you may be surprised at how well the wheel will assemble. I needed a SS hub for my Pugsley, and went this route. This is not an easy job for a noob as the spokes are offset, but I took my time and the wheel came out perfect, and I learned a lot in the process, too. I actually found it to be a very satisfying experience, and now I know how to keep my wheels true and spokes tight, which is great. I'm pretty stoked to be building the wheels on my new build.

That said, most shops will assemble wheels for $50 each, or less. It's just that the spokes do loosen after a few rides, and easier if you can handle yourself.

mtbr member
    Yep, those Profiles look nice! Mid, I can build the wheels myself, and there are plenty of excellent shops within 45 minutes drive whose wheel builders can build a much sweeter wheel than I ever would. I was just wondering if people have a favorite online builder.

This place needs an enema
    Looking for options for a wheelset w/148 single speed hub. Hub options seem limited. (I've read all the threads on this forum.) Anyone have an economical solution for a wheelset, or do you build your own wheels?

Onyx. Instant engagement, less seal/bearing friction than any other hub I've tried, and dead silent.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Onyx. Instant engagement, less seal/bearing friction than any other hub I've tried, and dead silent.
    all that at the trade off of weight. (not a big deal really, just mentioning it, I have an Onyx SS hub and the weight is the only 'con' I can find with it...they rule)

mtbr member
    Wait, you build wheels?

WillWorkForTrail
    Wait, you build wheels?
    Mikesee? Yeah, he builds wheels. And rides sick bikes. And takes really awesome pictures. I've never met him, but he seems like a cool guy. I'd let him build a set of wheels for me if I didn't have a friend who would A) be offended if I didn't ask him to do it B) either charge me a massively discounted price or turn down any money at all when I ask him how much I owe. You could probably do worse than seeing that Mike would charge you for a set of wheels.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Any boost hub that takes a Shimano freewheel can go SS. In lieu of lots of $$ for a dedicated SS hub just use a geared one with a spacer kit. Use the leftover $$ for good tires or a 3t Strada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The silence thing seems a mixed bag. No doubt, it would be awesome. Though there are times that I like how a loud freewheel warns other riders and wildlife of my presence. No bell needed with a loud freewheel; just coast. I also like when I'm leading on the trail to hear the riders behind me; I have to look back more when my partner has a quiet hub. I imagine an Onyx is not ideal for bear country! Instant engagement has to be a pleasure though.

mtbr member
    Looks like pro wheelbuilder has ss wheel options. Choose the SS mountain option, then choose a hub, then choose a hub width. You can't really see which hubs are offered in 148 until you pick the hub and then look at the available widths. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for to give an estimate of costs using different components.

I'm considering the Shimano freewheel route as well to start. Would probably work fine. However, if the past is any indication I'd want to upgrade after a short while...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    https://paulcomp.com/shop/components...sk-word-148mm/

Paul Components WORD hub is now available in the boost width. Freewheel style which gives a very stiff/strong rear wheel.

There are good and bad points to the freewheel vs hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hey Mike, I was reading up on the Onyx hubs, this thread specifically:
    Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement

In that thread, you expressed dissatisfaction with their product. Specifically, the soft engagement of the hub, which you brought to their attention and they stated was normal. You mentioned that the instant engagement is not so instant, after all, when under torque. I didn't read the whole thread, but I went far enough into it to see several of your posts expressing deep dissatisfaction.

Seems you have done a full 180 on your opinion of these hubs. Lately, I've seen you recommend them in several instances.

I always enjoy your posts, your writing style, and obviously your experience in bikepacking and wheelbuilding is legit. But now, I'm feeling a little duped here. After all, internet forums are rampant for this type of guerrilla marketing - shilling, where reputable posters are able to steer trusting plebs into buying products.

You ain't one of these dudes who uses their esteemed forum reputation for nefarious, self profiting purpose, are you? Has Onyx hooked you up so that you shut your trap and start shilling their product here?

This place needs an enema
    You said it yourself: you didnít read the whole thread. Do that.

And hey Ė Ė thanks for the accusation.

mtbr member
    I think I have somewhere between 1,500-2,000 miles on my Onyx 142 SS hub now. It's been absolutely flawless. I will never buy another dedicated SS hub again though. I go through a lot of bikes and am always swapping parts around. I'd love to use that wheelset on a geared bike of mine, but can't. I tried to sell the wheelset too, but had no luck.

Name:  1049593d1452118160-king-hubs-vs-oynx-racing-hubs-20160101_103814.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  142.9 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Didn't accuse; only asked. And you didn't really answer, either.

I'll read the thread though; oughta be interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightFattie View Post
    Hey Mike, I was reading up on the Onyx hubs, this thread specifically:
    Onyx Racing Hubs - Sprag Clutch vs other types of Engagement

In that thread, you expressed dissatisfaction with their product. Specifically, the soft engagement of the hub, which you brought to their attention and they stated was normal. You mentioned that the instant engagement is not so instant, after all, when under torque. I didn't read the whole thread, but I went far enough into it to see several of your posts expressing deep dissatisfaction.

Seems you have done a full 180 on your opinion of these hubs. Lately, I've seen you recommend them in several instances.

I always enjoy your posts, your writing style, and obviously your experience in bikepacking and wheelbuilding is legit. But now, I'm feeling a little duped here. After all, internet forums are rampant for this type of guerrilla marketing - shilling, where reputable posters are able to steer trusting plebs into buying products.

You ain't one of these dudes who uses their esteemed forum reputation for nefarious, self profiting purpose, are you? Has Onyx hooked you up so that you shut your trap and start shilling their product here?

148 ss wheelset?-fa6e258295fbd079c619ce80079a6fed5e63fad74d18be1a51514214bb085f51.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Onyx has an excellent design concept, but at 2-2.5 times heavier than an I9 and $100 more its a hard to justify. If / when P321 gets their pawl issue sorted out I will have a hard time riding anything other than their 216POE quiet hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Just heard back from Hope. The Hope SS/trials hub is convertible to 148 with kit HUB493. The hub weighs 465g before the kit, partly due to the burly steel freehub. The wheel requires a slight redish. I'm assuming you need to start w the 142 version since the 135 which I have uses threaded M10 bolts. 84 POE.

https://www.actionsports.de/en/boost...12x148mm-22818

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanpez View Post
    https://paulcomp.com/shop/components...sk-word-148mm/

Paul Components WORD hub is now available in the boost width. Freewheel style which gives a very stiff/strong rear wheel.

There are good and bad points to the freewheel vs hub.
    Fun fact about this hub - it is perfectly symmetrical. 148 divided by 4 equals 37. Center to each flange is 37. Flange to each axle is 37. Flange diameters are also equal. Thus, perfectly equal spoke tension on standard, symmetrical rim. Theroetically, you could tune the spokes all to the same pitch and you should have a true rim. Perfect design!

mtbr member
    Ha, I talked with them, too. Yep, you need to order the 142 and add the conversion.

I like the Paul, and I wouldn't be too put off by the idea of a freewheel. I'm just afraid the threads will seize with mud and grit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If you go with the Paul hub at 217g and a Profile Elite freewheel 18t freewheel at 154g you have setup that weighs 371g, with 140 POE. In comparison, the I9 SS hub is listed at 260-280g; this is without the cog, spacers and lockring which would add maybe 50-60g more (for Chris King cog, more for a Surly). The cassette hub adds chainline adjustment, and easier/cheaper gearing changes.

I use a 18v Makita impact driver to remove freewheels, - works great. Just use some anti-seize and you should be ok with our without the impact driver.

mtbr member
    I'm not concerned with a little weight in the middle of the wheel, but the easy chainline adjustment is a plus. I suppose like anything threaded that freewheel should come off for cleaning every so often.

As for wheelsets, I've been playing around with a couple of the online offerings, and Gravy is working up an estimate for me. I appreciate all the info in this thread.

mtbr member
    What ID rim is on it? I could use that on my 29+ bike it it's wide enough.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Iíve been using Hadley hubs for years. The Ti bolt on 135 SS hub with Ti short freehub body was a true 1 piece axle conversion to a 142x12 TA. Itís been rebuilt several times with standard Enduro bearings. Iíve never used ceramic but thatís an option.
    I know they make a Boost 148 SS specific with the Ti freehub. I had a CK hub with aluminum freehub but it needed replaced from getting worn down internally.
    ONYX are bulletproof and use ceramic bearings stock. P321 have the magnetis pawls and I9 are standard pawls but both use aluminum freehubs
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn