Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

12 x 142 single speed hub???

Does anybody make a single speed specific hub with 12x142 option
    Last edited by AaronJobe; 01-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the DT 240S single speed can be converted to 142 x 12
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have a dt 240s single speed hub and ordered a 12x142 conversion axle through my lbs. The axle that arrived was for the standard multi-speed 240 and I could not for the life of me find a conversion kit anywhere for the single speed hub.

I really do not believe the 12x142 conversion is available for the single speed 240.

That being said I ended up having a machine shop ream out the axle that came with the hub and used the bushing/ spacers supplied with the conversion kit meant for the multi-speed hub and I now have a 12x142 single speed dt 240 hub.

A Hadley ss hub is the no hassle solution.

mtbr member
    I have Profile hubs on my BMX bike and my Karate Monkey. Profile has set the standard for BMX cranks and hubs and is raising the bar on components. The Profile Elite hubs comes in 142x12 and it would be my first choice. American made, 204 points of engagement, upgradeable and the last hub you are going to need.

Profile Racing E-Store
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wonder if the Hadley single speed hub wouldn't convert?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    I wonder if the Hadley single speed hub wouldn't convert?
    I have the Hadley ss and ran it 12x142 before switching back to 10x135 for a DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    you can convert the Stans SS hub to 12mm

c_klein87
    I contacted Hope but the pro 2 SS is not compatible, but they will work on it *soon*. Project 321 will do their I9 ish SS hub with a 12 x 142 i believe. Is it for the new Niner? it does seem a muddle on what will actually fit it, other than the Hadley, which doesn't look that great and weighs a ton

mtbr member
    Yes for the 2013 sir 9

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by c_klein87 View Post
    ... other than the Hadley, which doesn't look that great and weighs a ton
    Care to elaborate? I'm pretty sure the Hadley is about 2 oz heavier than king.

c_klein87
    my mistake, I meant the sun ringle hub,which I believe is also 12x 142 compatible, as Niner use it in their press shots. I emailed chris king to ask whether I can convert my current iso singlespeed hub, and they have no plans for a axle adapter, hopefully Hope can knocks theirs out quickly else choice is limited!

mtbr member
    The Industry Nine classic hubset (for standard j bend spokes) is available singlespeed, with all their usual axle choices, including 142x12.

FWIW, I have their geared enduro wheelset and geared wheelset using their classic hubs and they're excellent. My go-to hubs from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Seems a strange move from Niner when hardly anyone makes a 142 ss hub. Bolt on hub are plenty stiff anyway?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    Seems a strange move from Niner when hardly anyone makes a 142 ss hub. Bolt on hub are plenty stiff anyway?
    Agreed, I'm not sure why they did that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Agreed, I'm not sure why they did that...
    Because 142x12 is simply awesome! When riding a gnarly trail do you really want a system with the wheel on the edge of falling out.

There are plenty of hubs available for the format and as such it seems silly to buy or build with the old out of date 135x10 system.

Niner is simply moving the tech forward.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Because 142x12 is simply awesome! When riding a gnarly trail do you really want a system with the wheel on the edge of falling out.

There are plenty of hubs available for the format and as such it seems silly to buy or build with the old out of date 135x10 system.

Niner is simply moving the tech forward.
    Er..howamny people do you know where rear wheel has actually come out?

'Plenty of hubs'? - can you list the ss-specific ss hubs that come as 142 currently on the market?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    do you really want a system with the wheel on the edge of falling out.
    Great point Mark. I was thinking about having a shop machine me a new set of sliders that had a 10mm hole in them instead of a drop-out. Then I could be sure my bolt-on hub was secure. Iíve never had any problems, though. Are there any issues/concerns with doing that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Plenty of hubs exist. King, I9, Project 321, DT, etc. What else would you need?

The 135x10 works but in edge cases you can have problems. In 10 years of mountain bike riding I had my wheel shift in the dropout once on a gnar descent where I did not crash but the wheel simply moved to tilt and rub the brake. Sure it is a super rare problem but it does happen. Road style quick releases are simply not the ideal solution for mountain bikes.

Paragon sells replacement sliders but if you have an existing bike there is no need to change the format. The 135 spec works fine and I am sure hubs will be available in that format for many years. Just make sure to keep the Q/R tight.

142x12 is simply better than 135x10 in terms of mountain bikes and as such the question for me is why anyone would build a 2013 bike with the out dated 135mm spec.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Plenty of hubs exist. King, I9, Project 321, DT, etc. What else would you need?
    Something affordable? I don't have the money for most of those.

The easy ss solution is bolt on hub, like my Hope. Very secure!

mtbr member
    Man, I had no idea I've been riding on the razors edge of catastrophe for the last 20+ years!

Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post

'Plenty of hubs'? - can you list the ss-specific ss hubs that come as 142 currently on the market?
    I'm curious about this list as well....Hadley and Pauls apparently

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pauls is $$$$$ and a screw-on free-wheel :-(

mtbr member
    haha I know, nothing I'd be interested in but for the sake of this thread, it is a SS-specific 142x12 hub

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I have a dt 240s single speed hub and ordered a 12x142 conversion axle through my lbs. The axle that arrived was for the standard multi-speed 240 and I could not for the life of me find a conversion kit anywhere for the single speed hub.

I really do not believe the 12x142 conversion is available for the single speed 240.

That being said I ended up having a machine shop ream out the axle that came with the hub and used the bushing/ spacers supplied with the conversion kit meant for the multi-speed hub and I now have a 12x142 single speed dt 240 hub.

A Hadley ss hub is the no hassle solution.
    How is that 12x142 single speed DT Swiss 240 holding up for you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi. I found Nukeproof Generator short cassette (SC) rear hub can be converted to 142mm.
    I'm looking for the hub for new SIR9.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Stans will have one soon:
    12 x 142 single speed hub???-stans-3.30ss-thru-axle-rear-hub-600x450.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast