mtbr member

1" threadless rigid forks

I'm thinking of turning my vintage (1992) Merlin titanium into a single speed full rigid. I purchased a new Marzocchi Corsa 80 last year but it makes the headtube angle too slack and it handles like a school bus. My current singlespeed is a Ted Wojick but I plan to turn it into my geared bike. Where can I find a decent selection of 1" threadless rigid forks. My LBS can get me a cheapie for $60 although I might like to run something a little better. I know there are some available for $250 and up but I'm looking for something in the $100-$150 range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

opinion

it's a Merlin, spend the $ on a good fork now, go custom, get the geo. right for how the bike was designed, and ride it for the a long #%@ time. You will regret going cheap now, because you will spend more later on another fork. Just my two cents, but seek a custom builder like Vicious, etc. that do good forks. Get it painted how you want, blah blah. There are lots that could help, Groovy cycles is another thought.

mtbr member
    I did see one on-line retailer that had Kona forks in 1" recently (can't remember who though). Look and search you will find something. If you could swing it the above recommendo's above would be great.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I second the custom. I don't really know the price range that would entail, but I know Todd from Proletariat Bicycles does forks for about that much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Consider Iglehart - he does a nice unicrown OR a Fat City style segmented fork. The latter would be sweet, and appropriate on your Merlin.
    http://www.iglebike.com/forks.html

-Raj

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ifrider2]it's a Merlin, spend the $ on a good fork now, go custom,

Yea I was thinking if I get a cheap one I might regret it later but I really don't feel like dumping $250-$350 into a custom rigid fork right now. Hell I've already got a new $600 fork that I won't have any use for once I go rigid. I don't even know if I'll like the feel of a full rigid.I started out that way back in 1985 but I've been on some form of suspension since 1994 and I'm not getting any younger. Maybe I'll opt for the cheapie and if I love the S.S. full rigid ride I'll upgrade my fork at a later date. We're only talking $60 here for a 1" Tange fork.

made in Oregon
    i just put this on my rigid singlespeed. works great so far!
    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=FK1268
    nathan
    WTB: Mountain Cycle 9.5 frame, size Med
    Goldtooth
    Custom Bashguards
    www.goldtoothmafia.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    check with bikeman.com
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Soma has a decent for for its 26" 415

http://store.somafab.com/mtbcrmoforks.html

Not as good as custom, but it's a good fork at a decent price.

Edit: I just realized it might be 1 1/8". Sorry.

mtbr member
    I have an old Judy SL with 65mm travel with a 1" steerer. This fork mates well to my Merlin so I think I'll put it on for now and keep my eye out for an interesting 1" rigid.

mtbr member
    If your Judy has a bolt on crown, get some lowers made that fit in it. Talk to Curtis Inglis- he makes awesome forks! Retro meets new school!

Stokeless Asshat
    Ebay!!!!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

MONKEYMAN
    This cheapy works great. $43 and it'll look pretty decent black on Ti. . .
    I put it on my B-stone:

At least until you can save enough for something a little snazzier. Scott Quiring makes really nice forks in any config you want BTW.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”