Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 inch Steerer

Ridem
    Feb 2004

1 inch Steerer

The SS I have build is in desperate need of a new fork, but I cannot seem to find a suspension fork with a 1" steering tube. Anybody know where I can find one?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marzocchi from phattire.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMan
    The SS I have build is in desperate need of a new fork, but I cannot seem to find a suspension fork with a 1" steering tube. Anybody know where I can find one?
    I know Phat Tire has 1" steerer Marzocchi MX-Comp's listed on their site. I'd give them a try. I have purchased from them a couple times and Angelo is really helpful, especially with special requests.

Call 911

my marzocchi marathon has 1"

Marzocchi will press in a 1" steel steerer for you.

cheeeeers,

Jessica
    The mountain may get me but the law never will

Who turned out the lights

Go Rigid....

I'm sure you won't want to hear this, but you can get a really nice riding rigid fork custom built for about $200 ($300 for ti). I had the same debate a year ago. Marzocchi is the only company that I know of that still makes a 1" steerer, and you'll have to special order the fork at your local shop, or from one of the very few mail order places that carry them. In my opinion (for what it's worth), the current offerings in the 1" suspension market are not on par for a long-term raceable bike. Marzocchi doesn't even offer them in the Marathon series any more - it's only in their lower range.

I had Vicious build a custom fork to mimic my old Judy DH, and it rides great. It's got enough flex to cushion the bumps, and it rails through the turns. Just a thought to ponder.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

second vote for rigid

you get way more precise steering with less weight, and zero maintenance. I've got an AccuTrax on my Merlin, a Project 2 on my fixed gear MTB, the stock ti rigid fork on my Alpinestars ti, and a 'Cuda accutrax clone on my XX team Cuda SS. the bike I ride the least has a suspension fork, ain't ridden it since last fall.
    If this 50 year old can handle rigid, and you need wussy suspension, what does that say about you?

Combat Wombat

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    you get way more precise steering with less weight, and zero maintenance. I've got an AccuTrax on my Merlin, a Project 2 on my fixed gear MTB, the stock ti rigid fork on my Alpinestars ti, and a 'Cuda accutrax clone on my XX team Cuda SS. the bike I ride the least has a suspension fork, ain't ridden it since last fall.
    If this 50 year old can handle rigid, and you need wussy suspension, what does that say about you?
    That is the second time I have seen the word "wussy" used today. I haven't seen it used so much since....grade school.

Brian

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    I'm sure you won't want to hear this, but you can get a really nice riding rigid fork custom built for about $200 ($300 for ti). I had the same debate a year ago. Marzocchi is the only company that I know of that still makes a 1" steerer, and you'll have to special order the fork at your local shop, or from one of the very few mail order places that carry them. In my opinion (for what it's worth), the current offerings in the 1" suspension market are not on par for a long-term raceable bike. Marzocchi doesn't even offer them in the Marathon series any more - it's only in their lower range.

I had Vicious build a custom fork to mimic my old Judy DH, and it rides great. It's got enough flex to cushion the bumps, and it rails through the turns. Just a thought to ponder.
    I was sitting hear trying to guess the number of posts it would take before someone would tell him to "go rigid" The correct answer was three.

I am still waiting for the post that tells him to put a monster huge front tire along with it in order to mimic a front suspension fork only with a huge increase in rotating weight.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Lazy People Suck
    Ok, I just read what I wrote. It was in good fun, but comes off a little wiseass-ish. Sorry.

I think I need to go ride.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

"Mr. Britannica"

pos Nashbar

most recent catalog lists a RST for $99

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Yeah, What he said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    I was sitting hear trying to guess the number of posts it would take before someone would tell him to "go rigid" The correct answer was three.

I am still waiting for the post that tells him to put a monster huge front tire along with it in order to mimic a front suspension fork only with a huge increase in rotating weight.
    You should put a monster huge front tire along with it in order to mimic a front suspension fork. Only with a huge increase in rotating weight, of course.

Ridem
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice and commentary, even Bulc thinking he might be older than me. I had actually called Nashbar before I put the original post online yesterday and they were sold out. I am not going to throw $250 at this bike. The frame is a 13 year old Merlin HT with 2 significant drawbacks: the 1" steering tube and the unique bottom bracket assembly. Merlin used a small diameter tube for the BB and you have to use a special tool from Merlin to press in and extract bearings - a royal pain in the rear. I don't even know if I can get BB parts any more either, haven't looked in a long time.

In the end, I guess I will just put the original fork that came with the bike back on. It is a rigid that still hangs in my shop. And a fat front tire. Right now, even with the old (first year) Rock Shox Judy fork on the bike, the thing weighs in at about 19 pounds. This combination should take me even lower.

Ridem
    Feb 2004

Resolution

RoadieGoneBad has too much time on his hands... but that was very helpful to hunt around on eBay and A E Bikes. Thanks bro, I appreciate your effort. I called A E Bikes, the guy told me RST was trash and not to waste my money. Some of the eBay stuff was interesting, to say the least.

But, here is how I have solved the problem. Dean Bikes is down the street from me and my son works there (so I can score a decent deal). These guys really know how to weld Titanium (my drug of choice). They are going to replace the steering tube to a 1 1/8" version, put on some rear disc brake tabs and replace the proprietary Merlin bottom bracket tube with a standard sized bracket. When I was in there this afternoon, it was fun to look at all the various old TI frames they had in there being reworked into TI SS masterpieces.

So I will wind up with a very light SS and keep my old Merlin in operation. Thanks again for all the opinions and advise. Rubber side down, boys...

"Mr. Britannica"
    where the hell is my dean???

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    RoadieGoneBad has too much time on his hands... but that was very helpful to hunt around on eBay and A E Bikes. Thanks bro, I appreciate your effort. I called A E Bikes, the guy told me RST was trash and not to waste my money. Some of the eBay stuff was interesting, to say the least.

But, here is how I have solved the problem. Dean Bikes is down the street from me and my son works there (so I can score a decent deal). These guys really know how to weld Titanium (my drug of choice). They are going to replace the steering tube to a 1 1/8" version, put on some rear disc brake tabs and replace the proprietary Merlin bottom bracket tube with a standard sized bracket. When I was in there this afternoon, it was fun to look at all the various old TI frames they had in there being reworked into TI SS masterpieces.

So I will wind up with a very light SS and keep my old Merlin in operation. Thanks again for all the opinions and advise. Rubber side down, boys...
    The only potential problem is that you will still have a frame that was designed around a short rigid fork. If you throw a suspension fork on it - even one with short (3" these days) travel, you've raised the front end considerably. I did this back in the day when suspension forks first came out with something similar and the geometry was thrown way off. But, sounds like you made up your mind and I'm sure it'll turn out nice.

resident crackpot

Lookie what I noticed

This Race Lite was just sold on ebay for like $900. I noticed a very intriguing detail while looking through the pictures supplied. A Race Lite coupled to a Manitou SX-R...removable crown???!! I didn't think so. I do know that SX-R forks were available on a special order back then, but when you don't need it, one tends to not worry about it. Now everything I have uses a 1" steerer so my senses are heightened. The only crowns that I can think of that were removable with this type of crown splitting are the old RockShox Judys, and Marzocchi forks from years ago. The Manitou forks of this era were press-fit, not removable...and if they were, I believe all the Manitou, removable crowns had the screws in the back of the crown, not on the sides.
    This fella bought it a coupla years ago already as it was, didn't tinker with it at all. So I asked for the other owner's name and emailed him. He claimed that this was how it was ordered from his LBS. I still say nuh-uh. Anyway, I measured the center-to-center on my new "Skareb" and compared it to a '96 Judy...4.875" on both! Both use 26.8 stanchions...anyone see where I am going? I don't yet have any forks to test out my theory, but I truly believe that an old Judy crown (with 1" steerer) will graft directly onto a post-'98 Manitou fork with some 'massaging'. This is just my theory as I don't have more than one fork to measure on. I plan on trying out some more measurments this weekend when I have more time and bring my caliper home for better measurements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ridem
    Feb 2004

Old Geometry

ssmike - when I bought the Merlin a dozen years ago, this was the first frame they specifically speced for a front suspension fork. (The RockShox RS1 had hit the market about a year or so earlier - just after I raced in the 1989 Worlds in Durango watching Tomac and Ned on the unproven and unannounced RS1 fork - I know, I am dating myself here...) I called Merlin and talked about the geometry and they told me this frame was made specifically for a suspension fork. I bought the bike with that worthless gold RockShox fork and changed it to a Judy as soon as those come out. I raced the Colorado Points circuit for 3 years on that bike and am used to the way it handles (or was, before I retired it 7 years ago). Thanks for your advice, I am hoping this turns out ok.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

Merlin BB parts

Phil Wood stocks spindles in stainless, and in ti, as well as the world's most expensive cartridge bearings for it, at something like $38 a pair. The SS spindle is $79 if I recall, got one last year. I have the Merlin tools, it's not that big a deal to replace bearings and/or spindle, it's not like you have to do it often.
    Merlin no longer supports the old frames.
    That stock rigid fork is likely a Ritchey Logic, a very fine fork if you don't ride like an idiot.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

1990 Worlds, not '89

I was there as well.
    Those old MAG-21s were pretty good forks, very tunable, you could change the oil, porting, travel. I hate the Judy I have here, it's flex city, it's on the bike I ride the least.